Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Don't know if Smokie_D is trolling or is actually one of the fantasy island types.

Meanwhile:

I forgot just how loathsome this old cretin is. These psychopaths would have us welded into our homes forever. warnock.png

28 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Devi isn’t hitting out with complex scientific jargon, she’s putting forward policy arguments.

You don’t have to be a genius to work out, for instance, that any NZ comparison is now moot given we have a hugely vaccinated population and they don’t. Or to understand how the vaccines work in terms of reducing disease, efficacy etc - and to come to the conclusion that Devi playing them down (based on very little) is counterproductive.

Almost every political policy decision is made based upon information that the public don’t have easy access to, to suggest that because we don’t have that knowledge that we can’t challenge the decision makers is bonkers.

The macabre fact that we have a lot of immunity through natural infection - and yes, the fact so many people have sadly died, does in fact put us in a better position than New Zealand from this point moving forward in terms of long-term stability and sustainability.

Isn’t the difference with Chile that they lifted all restrictions whilst still vaccinating? Unlike us who’ve waited until X number before lifting things?

I may have missed it (so apologies if thats the case) but has it been formally announced when those in the 45-49 (or 40-49) age groups should expect their appointment letters? I know that April was to be a bad month for new appointments but i'd still have expected my letter by now for an appointment in a few weeks time given the numbers already done...

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Isn’t the difference with Chile that they lifted all restrictions whilst still vaccinating? Unlike us who’ve waited until X number before lifting things?

Indeed. The UK's lockdown was also the strictest in Europe over the last few months. 

Chile are also I think using the Chinese vaccine, which the Chinese have in a surprising move been stating has a fairly low efficacy. That won't help matters either unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Indeed. The UK's lockdown was also the strictest in Europe over the last few months. 

Chile are also I think using the Chinese vaccine, which the Chinese have in a surprising move been stating has a fairly low efficacy. That won't help matters either unfortunately. 

The guy who stated that realised the error of his ways pretty quickly and tried to back-track on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56713663

I suspect the Chinese will be looking for a new head of their CDC in fairly short order.

24 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Yes, it's one of several reasons, but don't let that get in the way of the old iSAGE psycho and his vandetta against the UK Government. Not that I give a toss, but when your hatred of them clouds your judgement on matters like this, it's a problem.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Even if there is indeed some weight to this though, they are still likely as effective as a good influenza vaccine, and will of course likely be very good at preventing severe disease, hospitalisation, and death.

There is also positive evidence like this, which I linked to yesterday:

31 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

I may have missed it (so apologies if thats the case) but has it been formally announced when those in the 45-49 (or 40-49) age groups should expect their appointment letters? I know that April was to be a bad month for new appointments but i'd still have expected my letter by now for an appointment in a few weeks time given the numbers already done...

I got a days notice for my 1st one 6 or 7 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Those countries are of course looking enviously at our vaccination figures. I doubt they cast the same looks at our death figures, and unfortunately, I also doubt BJ is casting envious looks at their death figures. 

Where we have got to is fucking brilliant all things considered, but it wasn't by choice or design. Most predictions for vaccine development were longer than it ultimately turned out, and had it taken even 9-12 months longer we would be looking at some seriously awful figures. Neil Ferguson might even have been close to the money

We didn't take the informed choice to have 125k (or whatever, I've even stopped looking) deaths knowing that we would be able to halt the advance with vaccines early 2021. We fucked it considerably, made the wrong choice at multiple points, and chucked all our eggs on the vaccines basket as a Hail Mary move which ultimately worked in our favour. 

So yeah, we're in a stronger place atm in terms of returning to normal re international travel than Oz or NZ, but that involves shrugging off over a hundred thousand avoidable deaths that they simply haven't had. 

I don't think either approach is going to come out the other side of this looking particularly optimum. 

Too far.

Surely all NZ need to do is double dose 5 million people for their strategy to laugh at ours. 

Surely nobody is claiming a bit of luck due to inherent Tory traits as some sort of victory. 

I for one am not overly confident that the end is near even allowing for the vaccines. 

Once we're sitting with a significant proportion of the global population vaccinated I'll allow myself to believe it's over as anything more than a seasonal flu. 

Edited by ayrmad

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Surely all NZ need to do is double dose 3 million people for their strategy to laugh at ours. 

Surely nobody is claiming a bit of luck due to inherent Tory traits as some sort of victory. 

I for one am not overly confident that the end is near even allowing for the vaccines. 

Once we're sitting with a significant proportion of the global population vaccinated I'll allow myself to believe it's over as anything more than a seasonal flu. 

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Surely all NZ need to do is double dose 3 million people for their strategy to laugh at ours. 

It might not be that easy for a purely vaccine induced immune population, especially if uptake isn't near 100%.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Why would you think the vaccine procurement and roll-out is luck?  Human trials  started in March/April last year.  By July the government had already signed up to buy AZ, Pfizer and Valneva.  Hedging your bets with multiple vaccines (at a relatively low cost in the grand scheme of things) was a good strategy. 

They obviously believed that not all vaccines would be effective or they wouldn't have gone down the multiple vaccine route.  As it turns out the efficacy of the vaccines has exceeded all expectations so we will have a huge surplus in the future.  They didn't all hit the mark though.  Sure we bought GSK which I think has turned out to be a dud.  There may be others we've bought that are also duds.

It's one of the only things the government has done well during this pandemic so at least give them some credit for it.