Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

August 2020 - “this is over as a public health emergency”.

Not sure how high up the table of “things got right” that ranks tbh.

There will be no second wave. 

There will be no supporters in hampden for the euros

Numerous announcements of what restrictions would be in place for how long that subsequently proved wrong. 

Numerous predictions of what will happen in England that didn't subsequently happen. 

A clear sign that sturgeon wants vaccine passports. 

Weekly, if not more frequent, hysterical pish. 

There's actually dozens more but they're so frequent it's difficult to remember - the recent ones replace the older ones in your memory

I remember at my old work there were a lot of gobby women who shouted the loudest and most often and for some reason this made them feel they were right all the time. They weren't, it just meant they were loud and prominent. 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

There will be no second wave. 

There will be no supporters in hampden for the euros

Numerous announcements of what restrictions would be in place for how long that subsequently proved wrong. 

Numerous predictions of what will happen in England that didn't subsequently happen. 

A clear sign that sturgeon wants vaccine passports. 

Weekly, if not more frequent, hysterical pish. 

There's actually dozens more but they're so frequent it's difficult to remember - the recent ones replace the older ones in your memory

I remember at my old work there were a lot of gobby women who shouted the loudest and most often and for some reason this made them feel they were right all the time. They weren't, it just meant they were loud and prominent. 

Either you are deliberately choosing to not see the difference between discussing what the virus is likely to do and the level of knickering wetting the ultra cautious SG will do because they "just don't know"

Or you genuinely can't tell the difference.

I believe the former is more likely.

28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But we aren't discussing their credentials, or their views, opinions and predictions within their relevant fields, so this is irrelevant.

Well Elixir definitely was, on the last page.

Of course, he stopped at their first degrees as undergraduates, ignoring all their subsequent work in public and global health.

Does such experience render them infallible?  Of course not, evidently not.

Does it mean that their levels of learning can legitimately be mocked by someone with but a fraction of it?  Also, an emphatic no.

An interesting development here from China - they have admitted that Sinovac has a low efficacy rate. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/11/china-considers-mixing-covid-vaccines-to-give-greater-protection

Article lacks solid numbers. The 50% efficacy noted in Brazilian trials is mentioned, but that's old news. Apparently some in the UAE are being invited back for a third dose as the two they go got did not give a sufficient immune response. A minter, then, if you'd paid £35k to jump the queue and get vaccinated. 

Joking about those dropping £35k aside, this is very bad news as there are a lot of countries that have ordered it and will depend on it. 

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

None of us can question a football manager's decisions unless we have our pro licences. 

You sometimes don't read well, do you?

The subtlety of points escapes you.

A better parallel would be to say that Alex Ferguson is clearly clueless, because his career began at Queens Park.

An interesting development here from China - they have admitted that Sinovac has a low efficacy rate. 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/11/china-considers-mixing-covid-vaccines-to-give-greater-protection
Article lacks solid numbers. The 50% efficacy noted in Brazilian trials is mentioned, but that's old news. Apparently some in the UAE are being invited back for a third dose as the two they go got did not give a sufficient immune response. A minter, then, if you'd paid £35k to jump the queue and get vaccinated. 
Joking about those dropping £35k aside, this is very bad news as there are a lot of countries that have ordered it and will depend on it. 
China lying about their numbers? Surely not.

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

China lying about their numbers? Surely not.

It prompts a lot of questions. I think data coming out of China should be treated with scepticism as a matter of course, but they are recording 20-30 cases a day in a country of well over a billion people. Maybe they just have low levels of it after a brutal lockdown and a presumably very tight policy on entry, but they must be covering something much bigger to come out and say the vaccine isn't very good when a number of countries, particularly in Asia, have ordered it. 

43 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Hopefully we ramp up production and get it out to vulnerable countries, could give some to brazil in exchange for commitments to stop amazon deforestation. 

It prompts a lot of questions. I think data coming out of China should be treated with scepticism as a matter of course, but they are recording 20-30 cases a day in a country of well over a billion people. Maybe they just have low levels of it after a brutal lockdown and a presumably very tight policy on entry, but they must be covering something much bigger to come out and say the vaccine isn't very good when a number of countries, particularly in Asia, have ordered it. 

Considering they were very hesitant about the WHO poking about the wet market where cases first arose, I would not be surprised if China have been dishonest the whole way through this.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hopefully we ramp up production and get it out to vulnerable countries, could give some to brazil in exchange for commitments to stop amazon deforestation. 

It is a nice thought, but I believe the current Brazilian government attitude is that they all need to stop whining. 

As for Leitch, Sridhar, and Bauld's credentials - they are quite simply showering nonsense on matters which fall outside their remit. Namely virology, epidemiology, immunology, and by extension, pandemic mitigation. Take Sridhar, for instance: she is a total child who does not debate people whose remit does fall under the aforementioned when challenged, and simply blocks them. That in itself is an affront to science, and the simple fact is her 'zero Covid' vision is a complete outlier among the scientific community. You simply don't need to be a 'qualified expert' to critically analyse this fact... you just need to be able to see where the main consensus lies.

As for 'we don't know what the future holds' - we do: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

In January, Nature asked more than 100 immunologists, infectious-disease researchers and virologists working on the coronavirus whether it could be eradicated. Almost 90% of respondents think that the coronavirus will become endemic — meaning that it will continue to circulate in pockets of the global population for years to come.

But failure to eradicate the virus does not mean that death, illness or social isolation will continue on the scales seen so far. The future will depend heavily on the type of immunity people acquire through infection or vaccination and how the virus evolves. Influenza and the four human coronaviruses that cause common colds are also endemic: but a combination of annual vaccines and acquired immunity means that societies tolerate the seasonal deaths and illnesses they bring without requiring lockdowns, masks and social distancing.

14 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Over the past month or so I find myself getting angrier and and angrier at restrictions and the travel one in particular. 

I keep an eye on various wildlife-watching Facebook groups and there's been a sighting of something pretty rare for Scotland across the water in Kinghorn/Burntisland over the past week or so.

The idea that I can't travel 30 miles to sit in my car with some binoculars and a camera has me in a f**king, seething mess. 

If it's the ouzalem bird I hope you see it before it disappears in the way Devi should.

You sometimes don't read well, do you?
The subtlety of points escapes you.

A better parallel would be to say that Alex Ferguson is clearly clueless, because his career began at Queens Park.

Did this pish not start by some of those alt right wanks often referring to the prime minister of Canada as “ the substitute drama teacher “ which was his first job after college or whatever, I noticed some seething gammons in Scotland refer to sturgeon as “ the divorce lawyer “ in a copy cat way. Not the kind of c***s you really want to be associated with tbh

Nowt to do with agreeing/disagreeing with any of these scientists but I firmly believe that governments should be taking advice from experts with a broad spectrum of beliefs/opinions, it's never healthy to have too many like-minded folk shaping decisions. 

12 minutes ago, Smokie_D said:

Sridhar is an outlier?

And you quote an article where a third of scientists asked agree with her?

More than one-third of the respondents to Nature’s survey thought that it would be possible to eliminate SARS-CoV-2 from some regions while it continued to circulate in others.

also try the BMJ ...who agree with her

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3859

Screenshot_20210411-225535.png

^^^ idiot found

Yes, it is 'possible' to largely (temporarily) eliminate it from certain places, like Australia and New Zealand. That doesn't mean it's desirable long-term because of the constant fire-fighting, snap shutdowns of entire cities, and sealing yourself off from the outside world that is needed in order to achieve it. That isn't going to happen - hence the overwhelming consensus that it is going to become yet another endemic respiratory virus that circulates in humans, and therefore making Sridhar and her ilk an outlier. Jacinda Ardern certainly plans on managing Covid-19 as per influenza post-vaccination rollout to the Kiwi population: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/124012148/jacinda-ardern-declares-2021-the-year-of-the-vaccine

Thanks for playing, though.