Coronavirus (COVID-19)

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Jet2 have cancelled all flights and holidays to all locations from today up to 24 June. They will not now be restarting on 17 May as previously hoped.

ETA that's UK wide not just from Scotland.

Pretty much as expected really. July onwards was always likely to be when travel meaningfully reopens.

18 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I had the 3 biggest slavers (sic) as:

1. Elixir
2. Todd_is_God
3. virginton

^^^ sobbing through the tears after a tremendous day for The Good Guys

23 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

1. Elixir
2. Todd_is_God
3. virginton

Yes it would be good to see their credentials listed too, so we could compare their levels of expertise with those on the earlier list.

Yes it would be good to see their credentials listed too, so we could compare their levels of expertise with those on the earlier list.

Well, virginton is a qualified historian (and I suspect a failed educationalist).

I have no idea what the credentials of the other 2 are. Happy to be enlightened.

30 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

1. Elixir
2. Todd_is_God
3. virginton

Looks like an accurate top of the table for "things got right" tbf

The "experts," of course, are languishing in the relegation zone

Edited by Todd_is_God

Looks like an accurate table for "things got right" tbf
The "experts," of course, are languishing in the relegation zone

August 2020 - “this is over as a public health emergency”.

Not sure how high up the table of “things got right” that ranks tbh.

Well, virginton is a qualified historian (and I suspect a failed educationalist).

I have no idea what the credentials of the other 2 are. Happy to be enlightened.
I think their relevant qualifications were listed in their entirety a couple of posts ago.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Not really about credentials or expertise surely, given that they’re largely being proven right, based largely on common sense?

Alternatively, the floor is open for you or anyone else to exemplify where the “experts” continue to be correct, and the civilians wrong?

Can’t just say “but experts are experts” and stick your fingers in your ears.

Just now, Wee Bully said:

August 2020 - “this is over as a public health emergency”.

Not sure how high up the table of “things got right” that ranks tbh.

You appear to be mistaking the concept of a cumulative number of "things got right" for "got everything right"

Being below the "experts" in that table is quite an achievement. Hopefully you get your first point on the board soon.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Absolutely scumbag behaviour, these people need condemned for from everyone in reasonable society.

Gender revel party’s are a disgusting thing to engage in during this pandemic. and indeed all other ocasiones also.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Absolutely scumbag behaviour, these people need condemned for from everyone in reasonable society.

Gender revel party’s are a disgusting thing to engage in during this pandemic. and indeed all other ocasiones also.

I hope restrictions continue on these gatherings for at least 50 years similarly crowds at Ibrox and Celtic Park.

25 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Not really about credentials or expertise surely, given that they’re largely being proven right, based largely on common sense?

Alternatively, the floor is open for you or anyone else to exemplify where the “experts” continue to be correct, and the civilians wrong?

Can’t just say “but experts are experts” and stick your fingers in your ears.

Think this is a pretty major misrepresentation to be honest. Its not really as simple as there being a single expert consensus on things and the 'main players' on here bravely standing up to it and flying in the face of science in the process.

We're at a point where there isn't an exact consensus on what will happen as we open up and the 'expert opinion' covers a pretty wide range, because this is a really complex problem. In addition there's a messaging issue where the media doesn't accurately translate the science, the assumptions involved in modelling etc. I've seen plenty of articles posted on this thread which have been called out elsewhere by people who would be described as experts on the subject matter. A good example of this are the models predicting waves this summer, there are legitimate questions asked about the assumptions made and wanting to dig into that or question the accuracy of it isn't anti-expert.

That's not to say that there aren't posters on here who are primarily opposing things because it isn't what they want to hear or because of who is saying it. But I think that characterising the 'anti Devi/Leitch' viewpoint on this thread as being anti science/experts is pretty simplistic and innacurate.

24 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

As I say, the floor is yours if you want to have a crack at evidencing why Sridhar and Leitch’s ongoing streams of pish are the way ahead.

I've no plans to do so.  I'm not well informed enough.

What I'm happy to do, though, is scoff at people on here mocking the academic backgrounds of prominent people in the debate, when I'm pretty sure that their own would leave much more to be desired in the relevant fields.

10 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Think this is a pretty major misrepresentation to be honest. Its not really as simple as there being a single expert consensus on things and the 'main players' on here bravely standing up to it and flying in the face of science in the process.

We're at a point where there isn't an exact consensus on what will happen as we open up and the 'expert opinion' covers a pretty wide range, because this is a really complex problem. In addition there's a messaging issue where the media doesn't accurately translate the science, the assumptions involved in modelling etc. I've seen plenty of articles posted on this thread which have been called out elsewhere by people who would be described as experts on the subject matter. A good example of this are the models predicting waves this summer, there are legitimate questions asked about the assumptions made and wanting to dig into that or question the accuracy of it isn't anti-expert.

That's not to say that there aren't posters on here who are primarily opposing things because it isn't what they want to hear or because of who is saying it. But I think that characterising the 'anti Devi/Leitch' viewpoint on this thread as being anti science/experts is pretty simplistic and innacurate.

This is true, but when the same "experts" are given a near monopoly on air time, and make predictions or statements that are consistently proven to be wrong, then it can fairly be viewed as a binary situation.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've no plans to do so.  I'm not well informed enough.

What I'm happy to do, though, is scoff at people on here mocking the academic backgrounds of prominent people in the debate, when I'm pretty sure that their own would leave much more to be desired in the relevant fields.

But we aren't discussing their credentials, or their views, opinions and predictions within their relevant fields, so this is irrelevant.

Perhaps they should stick to their relevant fields, rather than act like their "blue tick" allows them to speak with authority and impunity on any subject.

Huge swing towards positive messaging today.
I reckon Lizzie is on the way out and we're going to be locked down over the summer for national mourning.
You just know shes going to peg it 10 minutes before England v Scotland kickoff, and it'll get abandoned.

I agree that there isn’t one scientific consensus on this, which means that for every Devi or Leitch there’s another expert who’ll have a completely different perspective to them on future projections etc.

A layman can absolutely look at one side of the argument and agree that it makes more sense than the other - especially when it veers away from science and more towards influencing policy - and to suggest otherwise is dangerous IMO.