Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

750% markup, aye sounds fair.

The problem is it's going to be a neccesity for the foreseeable future for getting abroad.  I suppose it's far better than the current 7500% mark up.  Think most folk would bite your hand off if they only had to pay £30 to access holidays again.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This is exactly my biggest issue with the whole thing. Why are we continuing to treat vaccinated people as if they are not vaccinated or that we don't have proven effective vaccines? It's really starting to anger me. 

How many studies showing the effectiveness of the vaccines do we need before we acknowledge that they are working, have turned the ride against Covid in terms of cases and are saving lives? 

And further to that, if they don't work then what? Airlines grounded permanently and have face masks stitched on to new borns?

Edited by jimbaxters

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

And further to that, if they don't work then what? Airlines grounded permanently and have face masks stitched on to new borns?

Indeed. If they weren't working we would also be starting to see evidence of it, but we aren't. 

The whole thing is rage inducing.

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This is exactly my biggest issue with the whole thing. Why are we continuing to treat vaccinated people as if they are not vaccinated or that we don't have proven effective vaccines? It's really starting to anger me. 

How many studies showing the effectiveness of the vaccines do we need before we acknowledge that they are working, have turned the ride against Covid in terms of cases and are saving lives? 

Because VARIANTS and WE JUST DON'T KNOW!!

Myself and the Mrs are meant to be going away on our honeymoon in July, so I'm feeling extra depressed this morning with all this talk. 😞  We're under 30 so there's no chance of us being fully vaccinated by then. 

23 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The problem is it's going to be a neccesity for the foreseeable future for getting abroad.  I suppose it's far better than the current 7500% mark up.  Think most folk would bite your hand off if they only had to pay £30 to access holidays again.

They won't be a necessity if countries adjust their policies based on vaccine rollout. If testing is binned as an entry requirement from the UK then it makes no sense for the UK Government to require one before departure. It will most likely be reciprocal/a broadly mirrored set of distinctions between countries.

It's still the first week of April, and this time last year we had just recently entered an indefinite lockdown. Ten weeks later though, foreign travel was possible without vaccines or indeed mandatory testing. There's going to be a lot of changes between now and the summer, not least given the impact it would have on economies like Greece, Cyprus, Portugal etc. 

44 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Playing down the impact of the vaccines (which is what's happening here) is something right out of the anti vaxxers playbook and will only increase vaccine hesitancy,

Also, anyone pointing at Chile instead of talking up the Israel stats is an absolute adult nappy.

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

They won't be a necessity if countries adjust their policies based on vaccine rollout. If testing is binned as an entry requirement from the UK then it makes no sense for the UK Government to require one before departure. It will most likely be reciprocal/a broadly mirrored set of distinctions between countries.

It's still the first week of April, and this time last year we had just recently entered an indefinite lockdown. Ten weeks later though, foreign travel was possible without vaccines or indeed mandatory testing. There's going to be a lot of changes between now and the summer, not least given the impact it would have on economies like Greece, Cyprus, Portugal etc. 

Yeah I'm hoping this caution on travel is mainly a stalling tactic till most adults are dosed up. They don't want the general population going bonkers if they are stuck at home looking at facebook posts of all the blue rinsers lying wasted on the beaches round the med. 

Thailand have announced their roadmap for travel and it sounds shit.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2021/04/07/thailand-announces-roadmap-to-reopen-select-destinations-for-vaccinated-tourists/

Playing down the impact of the vaccines (which is what's happening here) is something right out of the anti vaxxers playbook and will only increase vaccine hesitancy,
Also, anyone pointing at Chile instead of talking up the Israel stats is an absolute adult nappy.
Nicola Sturgeon tweeted about Chile the other day. I haven't seen her mention Israel once.

One thing about the pandemic that I’ve seen written is that it might improve anxiety because something terrible has happened and most of us got through it. On the other hand perhaps it’s encouraged catastrophising, as demonstrated in teeets like this

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One thing about the pandemic that I’ve seen written is that it might improve anxiety because something terrible has happened and most of us got through it. On the other hand perhaps it’s encouraged catastrophising, as demonstrated in teeets like this

Christ, get folk like that in the (rising) sea. 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not to mention the chances of her losing her forties to a nuclear war and her fifties to a sentence on a Chinese lunar gulag.