Coronavirus (COVID-19)

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't know.

Most of us are less greetin' faced about it than seems to be fashionable on here.

But demonstrably more greeting’ faced if you’re called a bumpkin. 

Jeanne Freeman has said in an interview that moving Covid positive patients into care homes without proper precautions was a mistake. 

We didn't take the right precautions to make sure that older people leaving hospital and going into care homes were as safe as they could be, and that was a mistake.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/jeane-freeman-admits-moving-patients-to-care-homes-without-right-precautions-was-a-mistake-3194110

What will be interesting is during the review of what went wrong is if the rationale behind doing this is properly explained. As far as I can see this was done to free up beds in hospital, part of “protect the NHS”. Why were the dangers to care home residents not prioritised?

Edited by ICTChris

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Jeanne Freeman has said in an interview that moving Covid positive patients into care homes without proper precautions was a mistake. 

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/jeane-freeman-admits-moving-patients-to-care-homes-without-right-precautions-was-a-mistake-3194110

What will be interesting is during the review of what went wrong is if the rationale behind doing this is properly explained. As far as I can see this was done to free up beds in hospital, part of “protect the NHS”. Why were the dangers to care home residents not prioritised?

This may sound bizarre, but actually admitting their mistake (whilst a monumental one that cost a lot of lives) genuinely makes me respect them more. Every time I hear a politician refuse to answer a question multiple times, or refuse to admit any sort of mistake (as they almost exclusively all do) it makes me seething, so just admitting that they made a mistake makes me (strangely) more likely to vote for them.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This may sound bizarre, but actually admitting their mistake (whilst a monumental one that cost a lot of lives) genuinely makes me respect them more. Every time I hear a politician refuse to answer a question multiple times, or refuse to admit any sort of mistake (as they almost exclusively all do) it makes me seething, so just admitting that they made a mistake makes me (strangely) more likely to vote for them.

If she wasn't leaving anyway there's no way it would have happened.  Sacrificial lamb.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If she wasn't leaving anyway there's no way it would have happened.  Sacrificial lamb.

Yeah fair point, respect removed. That being said it’s still admitting fault on the part of the government, not like she’s saying it was entirely her decision and Sturgeon and the rest of the government had no idea it was happening.

However frustrating it is, I can only imagine it's a million times worse living in a D&G for example.

I’d imagine D&G is like most other places in the country, in that nobody is giving a f**k about the restrictions now. This is D&G with no covid cases recorded in the last week, yet I don’t think I know anyone fully abiding by the rules now.

28 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’d imagine D&G is like most other places in the country, in that nobody is giving a f**k about the restrictions now. This is D&G with no covid cases recorded in the last week, yet I don’t think I know anyone fully abiding by the rules now.

In my experience, most people are still pretty much playing the game.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

In my experience, most people are still pretty much playing the game.

I don’t really know anyone sticking to the restrictions anymore. I don’t even know what the specifics of what they are at this point in time tbh. 

Hang on, people suggested resuming something approaching normal work and some on the call started crying? Where do you work, fucking hell. 

If they suggest I get out of the ass groove I’ve made in my sofa, leave my espresso machine at home, wear jeans and go back to the office I will be the one crying.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I saw someone write about this the other day. The idea is that we are at herd immunity based on the NPIs that are in place, and the virus only has x ways of spreading. As you remove NPIs, the threshold for HI increases as the virus is able to transmit more easily. I think it was the dude who is doing his own models and comparing them to the Warwick and imperial ones. 

f**k knows if it makes sense or not, I'm just describing the idea. Don't shoot the messenger etc. 

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I don’t really know anyone sticking to the restrictions anymore. I don’t even know what the specifics of what they are at this point in time tbh. 

Well much of it is enforced obviously, by the fact that places are shut.  

Otherwise though, the main restrictions are to do with visiting each others' houses.  I don't think that's been wantonly abandoned by everyone at all.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I've no problem with that - batter on if it pleases you.

Bennett did little else for about six years.

I've used that word twice on PnB, you're exaggerating a wee bit here.

36 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I saw someone write about this the other day. The idea is that we are at herd immunity based on the NPIs that are in place, and the virus only has x ways of spreading. As you remove NPIs, the threshold for HI increases as the virus is able to transmit more easily. I think it was the dude who is doing his own models and comparing them to the Warwick and imperial ones. 

f**k knows if it makes sense or not, I'm just describing the idea. Don't shoot the messenger etc. 

The idea makes sense I think. Its basically just the concept behind the R number. If your measures cause R to drop below 1 then at some point in the future the virus wouldn't be spreading anymore, assuming you kept those measures in place so that R remained below 1. So you could say that for that particular circumstance you have herd immunity.

Where that falls down (at least as a piece of messaging) for me is that that isn't what the public concept of herd immunity is. When I (and I imagine most people) read herd immunity I don't think of 'we have herd immunity in this specific set of circumstances'. I think of 'we have a high enough level of immunity to go back to normal/we have herd immunity regardless of circumstances' as that is how the term has been used consistently for the last year. In essence herd immunity represents the threshold at which we can lift restrictions because they aren't required anymore. Thats how I feel the term has been sold to us for the last year at least.

Using that definition, this is a message that says 'we've reached that threshold but we can't lift restrictions because if we did then the threshold would move and we wouldn't have reached it anymore' which even if its correct from a strictly scientific terminology point of view seems like it has the potential to be pretty confusing, especially as a headline.