Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Among all the chat about Euro crowds, report on BBC Breakfast this morning that the final of the World Snooker at the Crucible in just over 3 weeks time is to be played in front of a full house with no social distancing.

Is it not one of the test events for vaccination passports?  You have to have a test before going to the venue and 5 days afterwards.

They're starting off in round one at 33% capacity and building up to full for the final.

19 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Obviously this is no bearing on everyone else or anything other than 1 of 192 but a relative of my partners is currently in hospital, elderly and on the shielding list and bizarrely has had covid twice, the first time completely symptomless but the second time hospitalised despite having already had a first vaccine dose a while ago.

More stable now and likely to get out soon which is great news but I’m honestly incredibly confused about how it all unfolded tbh.

I suppose the way we should look at it is that the vaccine saved his life.

Confirmed hospital numbers down at least 1 for today (although assume it’ll be part of tomorrow’s figures) as he is being let out.

I’ll see if I can get a cigar to him.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

The slide that JVT put up yesterday shows plain as day why they've recommended under 30s don't get the AZ jag. It also shows how vastly unlikely it is for a low risk under 30 to find themselves in icu. That's what the discussion should be around, but instead we have countless posts insisting the AZ vaccine is low risk (which it is of course) and therefore its scaremongering, but the data shows it's not quite as low risk as an under 30 with no pre-existing conditions ending up in icu. 

As an under 30 with no PEC, you are more likely to suffer a serious harm from the vaccine (presumably that is more than just blood clots but these are the tipping point) than you are to catch covid and need admission to icu. That seems a pretty sensible methodology to use to determine whether or not under 30s should have that particular vax. 

Here was me thinking from the past twelve months of government/media hype that EVERYONE IS AT RISK, filled with pictures of sad '30 year olds' being hoisted into an ICU bed with a crane.

Now that the public health experts are willing to concede that they've essentially wasted the time of millions of people for a year with no direct protective benefit to their health, I look forward to seeing what policies will be set up to compensate them  and how events will be opened up to that category without the need for immediate vaccination. What with the strain on the NHS being so insignificant and all. 

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Is it not one of the test events for vaccination passports?  You have to have a test before going to the venue and 5 days afterwards.

They're starting off in round one at 33% capacity and building up to full for the final.

None of which explains at all why Hampden or Wembley can't also be full, given that the Euros are outdoors and over 2 months away.

Given the progress of our vaccination programme, we should have been testing the effectiveness of LFTs for allowing events weeks ago, instead of focusing on non-existant variants.

I'm also curious to know what has changed that makes them suitable for going to the snooker, but for everything else you should assume that a negative test means that you could still have it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

None of which explains at all why Hampden or Wembley can't also be full, given that the Euros are outdoors and over 2 months away.

Given the progress of our vaccination programme, we should have been testing the effectiveness of LFTs for allowing events weeks ago, instead of focusing on non-existant variants.

Not sure why you'd need testing to attend tbh.  I don't think there's been any proper evidence of an outdoor gathering being a super-spreader event.  Even when the Cheltenham festival last year became the medias pet football to kick around it was all supposition.  None of it was evidence based.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Among all the chat about Euro crowds, report on BBC Breakfast this morning that the final of the World Snooker at the Crucible in just over 3 weeks time is to be played in front of a full house with no social distancing.

It's a test event with testing before and after the event, let's hope it goes well and we can get back to crowds asap.

They didn't give any detail, but I assumed LFT and face masks would be standard.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

That's my son onto his third (fourth in total) isolation period in the last six weeks or so. Twice at school, and now from his Easter football camp.

On each occasion he's been tested and each occasion he's been negative, but still has to sit in the house for 10 days. He's missed a fair chunk of school because of this, and now will have to miss out on the football camp. And as far as I can tell, for no real good reason.

I can't understand the logic behind telling people who've been identified as close contacts to take tests, and then ignore outcome regardless.

Isn't it because they've known from pretty early on that if you have been infected, there is a period where you can infect others even before you develop any symptoms, and not just when you are symptomatic?

I remember early on of an outbreak in a elderly care hospital ward. One of the patients had symptoms but their first test was negative, a couple of days later they were tested again as their symptoms were worse, this time it was positive. 

Also, because the incubation period can vary, a few days to over a week, that's why you've to isolate for 10 days. 

What seems pointless is testing people right away, but I suppose the time it takes the first person to test positive, then for them to identify close contacts, they must pick up some early positive cases.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
29 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They didn't give any detail, but I assumed LFT and face masks would be standard.

It is LFT and face masks.  you also have to check in to the venue using the NHS app.

You have to go to a testing centre either on the day or no earlier than the day before for a test and they post you one out to take 5 days after your attendance.

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm also curious to know what has changed that makes them suitable for going to the snooker, but for everything else you should assume that a negative test means that you could still have it.

You have to prove that testing is useful to justify the spend.  If it goes off without a hitch all hail the miracle of NHS Test and Trace lets launch another few billion at it.

Nothing at all to do with vaccinations of course.

ETA I'd be curious to understand the age demographic of your typical snooker fan.  Is it popular among younger people that won't be vaccinated yet which maybe played a part in the decision to use it as a test event?

Edited by Left Back

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The snooker thing has to be viewed as a good thing surely. Social distancing will never be binned until there's data that says it can be binned.

I take a similar view with places of worship. The more things that open the better given the vaccination rate.

The snooker is a direct ‘trial’ for vaccine/test passports, is it not?

Of course we could make the argument the Euros could be included in the same trial. But I don’t think there’s going to be any requirement for the Hampden games to have negative tests or proof of vaccine. The snooker is actively attempting to show that system works, rather than crowds can gather because the pandemic is over (as it hopefully is by June/July).

56 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I take a similar view with places of worship. The more things that open the better given the vaccination rate.

Not sure if this is applicable elsewhere since worshippers will have the force of God's protection that the sinners will not have.