Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Had my first dose of AZ as an unpaid carer, and now I feel unsure as to what's gonna happen with the 2nd dose now. If anything, I'll probably get it faster.

Just goes to show how utterly pointless the last year of having to be confined away from normal life has been (from my own perspective of course). Should at least be getting my graduation ceremony, but I won't lol.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

52 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Seen an article before saying if was ditched for under 50s it would have a huge effect. Other than that I doubt its significant really. Just prioritise Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/Novavax for U30s. 

It's bound to massively ramp up scepticism re AZ in general though, anti vaxxers dream ticket unfortunately.

Yes, unfortunately so. The communications dont sound good, regardless of what the actual bottom line is

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

In other news there’s precious wee Devi having another wee Twitter strop and not allowing anyone to reply to the tweet 

Devi only wants to interact with those who agree with her. What a shock to the system that is!

47 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Thjat was my immediate thought. The ponly group to fall into the Venn overlap here will be uinder 30s in the CV groups, surely? And won't most of them have had both doses by now?

This seems to me to be a real scare-story, in all honesty. I take eight separate drugs a day to keep me functioning properly. Each an every one has a list of side effects which extend on occasion onto the other side of the leaflet. I honestly couldn't tell you how bad they could get, but I'll just check google for a couple of them..

•  
  • diarrhoea or constipation.
  •  
    • trouble breathing

!/ They have themselves covered there

2/ If I had any more trouble breathing I'd be dead.

Quite frankly, I've never bothered reading the side effects from what I'm taking. If I didn't take them I'd die (quicker than I'm going to).

18 minutes ago, Rugster said:

In other news there’s precious wee Devi having another wee Twitter strop and not allowing anyone to reply to the tweet 

Looks like the sunshine's vanished. She'll just have to get on with it, there's a pandemic. 

I don't think this news will cause a spike in vaccine hesitancy or anti-vaccine sentiment.  Anti-vaxxers have been overplayed by the media in all of this - what's become clear is that the number of people who are actually serious anti vaxxers who will refuse a vaccine is tiny, practically zero.  THere just isn't a huge population of committed anti-vaccine people.

Most people are pro-vaccination and everyone in the country will now know numerous people who have received the vaccine which gives more confidence.  I think the way this has been communicated is also easily understandable and, for everything we've heard on here and elsewhere about how stupid everyone (else) is, the public have shown that they are actually pretty level headed about things.  There's a tiny risk from the vaccine, for under 30s the balance against Covid is different so we will offer them a different vaccine, if they'd prefer it.  That's pretty clear.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One irony about that Devi tweet is some of the best Covid accounts are unverified anons with 1000 followers.

It's not really ironic. It's more an exhibit of ejecting toys from a pram because someone who is essentially as equally unqualified as you to discuss something disagrees with your weirdo views.

Waving blue ticks around in a "do you know who I am?" is quite the fall from grace for the sunshine and unicorn generator.

Delicious.

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Quite frankly, I've never bothered reading the side effects from what I'm taking. If I didn't take them I'd die (quicker than I'm going to).

I can only ever recall taking one drug where the side-effects were worse than what it was treating, and that was Clarithromycin for a sinus infection. Blinding headache, nausea and everything tasting like metal. The sinus pain was genuinely preferable.

It was swapped for something else I can't remember the name of, but it was only 3 tablets, 1 a day, and it killed the infection stone dead. Definite cigar territory that one.

The virologist account Devi blocked for calling out her bluster was called "Mac n Chise" - the woman's name is Chise, she shares a huge amount of complex data and she goes anonymous simply because of the sheer amount of abuse she gets, so as much as it'd be convenient if it was some gammon called Tony behind it, it's not the case.

Devi didn't fancy listening because she didn't like her "the vaccine doesn't work against the SA variant" nonsense being called out based on facts and data.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Surely some mistake? We were told the Oxford vaccine disrespect was all down an evil ploy by a bitter Merkel and Macron to get one over the plucky Brits.

Presumably there will be an extremely public apology about this 

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

*Starts sweating* anyone know what's the deal here if you're under 30 and have had one AZ shot? 

It's been announced that if you fall into this group you are to be shot.

By the next dose of vaccine when available, as per original schedule.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

They've asked that blood clots be added to the list of possible side effects with a 0.0006% occurrence. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I like those odds and am comfortable with them. 

I do get this argument, but given there are other vaccines that don't have this, however minuscule, side effect, I don't see whta the fuss is. If there's a 99% safe vaccine and a 100% safe vaccine, what's wrong with just giving / taking the 100% one (figures just for illustration). 

I do wonder if things would have been quite so cloak and dagger if they hadn't made the ridiculous noise about this being the Oxford vaccine, made by are brave boys' rugged hands etc

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

*Starts sweating* anyone know what's the deal here if you're under 30 and have had one AZ shot? 

If you are not dead, get the second shot.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I do get this argument, but given there are other vaccines that don't have this, however minuscule, side effect, I don't see whta the fuss is. If there's a 99% safe vaccine and a 100% safe vaccine, what's wrong with just giving / taking the 100% one (figures just for illustration). 

I do wonder if things would have been quite so cloak and dagger if they hadn't made the ridiculous noise about this being the Oxford vaccine, made by are brave boys' rugged hands etc

It's a point that's been raised before, but the contraceptive pill is issued with a much higher risk of blood clots occurring. Other methods of safe contraception are available that carry a zero risk of blood clots. 

The risk of getting a blood clot is very small and seems to occur in people with a specific health issue. It's projection, but if that person were to actually catch Covid, I think they may be in danger of becoming seriously unwell given the immune response to the vaccine. I don't think the vaccine is risk free and would never claim otherwise. However I am. Not alarmed at the instances disclosed. I am however a bit put out that the figures unveiled today are significantly higher than those posted yesterday - that's a bad look. 

At any rate, I'll almost certainly be given AZ as apparently the additional 24 months in age I have means the balance of risk shifts and it is worth my while. I would still have zero objections if I was 24.