Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

We seem to be shitting the bed here a bit. Wonder what this will do to the rollout timetable.

Seen an article before saying if was ditched for under 50s it would have a huge effect. Other than that I doubt its significant really. Just prioritise Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/Novavax for U30s. 

Seen an article before saying if was ditched for under 50s it would have a huge effect. Other than that I doubt its significant really. Just prioritise Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/Novavax for U30s. 

It's bound to massively ramp up scepticism re AZ in general though, anti vaxxers dream ticket unfortunately.

I'd guess nothing. The under 30s without health conditions were always prime candidates for Jannsen.

Telegraph reported over the weekend this may well have been the plan anyway, for a range of reasons - younger people are more likely to be vaccine hesitant/unable to get out of work to get a vaccine so a one-doser is more appealing, it prevents longer-term discrimination about being ‘fully’ vaccinated as it’d be well into October before second doses began, and it would allow health services to focus on boosters for oldies come autumn rather than second doses for the young. Of course that story may well have been planted there ahead of this announcement...

It isn’t great news regardless, and suspect it’ll be a big blow to under 40s especially taking the vaccine. The line needs drawn somewhere but if you’re 30 or 31 and on the fence anyway, being told if you were six months younger it’d be potentially unsafe isn’t going to help you decide to take it. Definitely a blow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517

There it is. 79 cases and 19 deaths in the UK. More than was originally publicised - fuel to the fire of anti-vaxxers, that. 

At least there's the J&J vaccine on the horizon. Saying that, I'm 31 - do I honestly believe the vaccine is fine for me, but would've been too risky if I were a couple of years younger? Absolutely not. 

This is going to prompt a wave of vaccine hesitancy, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Thjat was my immediate thought. The ponly group to fall into the Venn overlap here will be uinder 30s in the CV groups, surely? And won't most of them have had both doses by now?

This seems to me to be a real scare-story, in all honesty. I take eight separate drugs a day to keep me functioning properly. Each an every one has a list of side effects which extend on occasion onto the other side of the leaflet. I honestly couldn't tell you how bad they could get, but I'll just check google for a couple of them..

• headaches or dizziness.
  • nausea.
  • diarrhoea or constipation.
  • indigestion (dyspepsia)
  • stomach ache or abdominal pain.
  • nosebleeds.
  • increased bleeding (your blood taking longer to clot – for example, when you cut yourself), or easy bruising.

Hmm.. that's not too bad. What about the wee green ones?

• Low blood pressure. This is more common when you’re starting the drug or increasing doses. Symptoms include:
    • dizziness
    • lightheadedness
  • Allergic or hypersensitivity reaction (angioedema). Symptoms include:
    • swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
    • trouble breathing
    • stomach pain with or without nausea and vomiting
  • Liver problems (jaundice). Symptoms include:
    • yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
    • stomach pain
    • fatigue
  • Swelling (edema). Symptoms include:
    • swelling of your feet, legs, or hands
  • Low white blood cell count. Symptoms include:
    • sore throat
    • fever
  • Purple spot on your skin caused by internal bleeding (purpura)
  • Fast or abnormal heart rate or palpitations. Symptoms include:
    • feeling like your heart is fluttering
  • High potassium levels. Symptoms include:
    • weakness
    • arrhythmia (irregular heart rate)
  • Worse kidney function. Symptoms include:
    • nausea and vomiting
    • decreased urine output when urinating
    • fatigue
    • loss of appetite

Fúck me, I reckon I'll stop there. Still taking the drugs, mind.

The EU have further fucked it then. Basically the MHRA is saying no under 30s out of caution but it won't really impact us due to how good the rollout has been with it so far.

The EMA won't specifically ban it because they know they need it to catch up but they've absolutely humped it with the EU public from day one.