Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The replies to this sum up the UK in 2021.

Glad to see the oldies are grateful for us burning our economy and ruining the lives of millions of people to ensure that that they don't die.

And of course for their priority vaccines. 

Edited by Michael W

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

1. Absolutely no idea. People were wearing them, and I had several explain to me that they were "better" than surgical masks. Completely wrong, but hey, what do I know?*

2. Please don't be so insulting - there is a difference between being arrogant and being right. Anyone wearing a N95 or FFP respirator is protecting the environment no more than spomeone wearing a FRSM. If that respirator has a valve in it, they might as well not be wearing anything at all. But hey, what do I know?**

*I  know the different purpose and uses of various forms of PPE, as I am a HS&F professional. 

** Seriously, it's what I do for a fucking living. The bollox spouted by Oaksoft shows him to be ill-informed, and if taken as advice by others, could put people at risk. 

ETA: My analogy of the surgical team was simply to reinforce the fact that we are asked to wear FRSMs to protect others, not ourselves. I can understan d why Oakspoft strugles with altruism in any form, but it's really not that complicated. 

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, I thought you were disagreeing with oaksoft who was saying that the general public wearing masks is essentially worthless in terms of the spread of Covid. You’ve essentially agreed with him in the above post that those wearing masks, often not facefitted, are doing nothing other than keep people aware there is still a pandemic on.

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Glad to see the oldies are grateful for us burning our economy and ruining the lives of millions of people to ensure that that they don't die.

And of course for their priority vaccines. 

There’s been widespread rioting in Northern Ireland the last few days.  Dozens of police officers have been injured and numerous vehicles have been destroyed. The violence seems to be being orchestrated by loyalists and one driver for it is the decision not to prosecute Anyone for the lockdown breaches associated with the funeral of a former IRA member, which was attended by the deputy first minister. There are other causes as well, the Northern Ireland protocol is a bigger cause for concern for loyalists, but it’s interesting that this is happening with seemingly little comment. Hopefully the violence ends before anyone else is injured or people lose their lives.

3pm televised briefing on the Astra Zeneca vaccine from the MHRA (UK regulator), JCVI (committee who advise on the rollout) and Jonathan Van Tam. European regulator having a televised briefing at the same time.

There’s been widespread rioting in Northern Ireland the last few days.  Dozens of police officers have been injured and numerous vehicles have been destroyed. The violence seems to be being orchestrated by loyalists and one driver for it is the decision not to prosecute Anyone for the lockdown breaches associated with the funeral of a former IRA member, which was attended by the deputy first minister. There are other causes as well, the Northern Ireland protocol is a bigger cause for concern for loyalists, but it’s interesting that this is happening with seemingly little comment. Hopefully the violence ends before anyone else is injured or people lose their lives.
Ireland is the only place that comes close to America with how backwards they are.

Ireland is the only place that comes close to America with how backwards they are.

3pm televised briefing on the Astra Zeneca vaccine from the MHRA (UK regulator), JCVI (committee who advise on the rollout) and Jonathan Van Tam. European regulator having a televised briefing at the same time.
You can sense they are going to announce that AZ is no longer deemed suitable for under X age (possibly 40 or 30) which will be a huge blow.

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:
11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not all of it.

21 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, I thought you were disagreeing with oaksoft who was saying that the general public wearing masks is essentially worthless in terms of the spread of Covid. You’ve essentially agreed with him in the above post that those wearing masks, often not facefitted, are doing nothing other than keep people aware there is still a pandemic on.

Apology accepted, and similarly, apologies if I've upset you. How you got me agreeing with Oaksoft out of that is beyond me, mind.

So, respectfully, my points are:

1. There is a massive gap in efficacy between FRSMs and simple face coverings. A gap which is difficult to quantify because the latter can range from yer ma's tights to a bin bag (extreme, I know, but basically, there's no standard.)

2. Respirators such as FFP2 and FFP3 will be much better at protecting the wearer from aerosols than a FRSM. If properly face fitted, immeasurably so, but I'd bet my house this would be a rare occurence among the public at large. 

3. Respirators with a valve attachment are worse than nothing for protecting others, as they impart a false sense of security while being essentially worthless for this purpose.

4. Most importantly, and the point Oaksoft appears to struggle with: in general use, masks are there to protect others from the wearer, not the wearer themselves. NHS workers and others working in a high-risk environment? Yes, these people wear appropriate PPE when necessary. Popping out to Asda or the Garden Centre? Wear a FRSM in order to ensure that you don't spread the virus.  If compliance with this simple rule had been higher throughout, we would not have had the extent of cases we have seen. Wearing masks is far from worthless, but half-arsed, I-don't-have-the-rona, pick and choose what rules to follow, knobheads have ensured that we've had more infections than necessary. 

And yes, I'm wearing a FRSM at work while typing this. 

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There seems to be a fear of doing/saying anything where NI is concerned, presumably in case you piss off the side that arent having their moan/riot. 

The amount of time NI sat in limbo with Stormont was suspended being a prime example. Rather than revert to direct rule as should've happened, it was allowed to just trundle along. Neither the UK or RoI really bothered their arses to do anything. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You can sense they are going to announce that AZ is no longer deemed suitable for under X age (possibly 40 or 30) which will be a huge blow.

What's the issue with AZ vaccine here? I've ignored most of the greeting about it not being suitable as I thought that was mostly political bullshit but it's worrying if this is actually going to set us back months.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What's the issue with AZ vaccine here? I've ignored most of the greeting about it not being suitable as I thought that was mostly political bullshit but it's worrying if this is actually going to set us back months.

Potentially causes rare blood clots, in a miniscule amount of people.