Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Think it’s somewhat notable that Australia and the UK’s vaccine projections are now ramping down significantly, just as the EU’s projections are starting to ramp up.

Clearly the Commission is effectively placing export controls on the vaccine. 

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

Think it’s somewhat notable that Australia and the UK’s vaccine projections are now ramping down significantly, just as the EU’s projections are starting to ramp up.

IMO it was guaranteed to happen, and guaranteed to be done quietly in a back door deal. 

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Using a vaccine several Member States have either suspended or limited the use of, no less. 

6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nice to see America has binned talk of vaccine passports. If a country as batshit crazy as America can see that domestic vaccine passports are a crock of shit then surely enough people here can as well. 

I'm sure things will work out eventually...

6 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

You think we will ever hear soon about travel to and from abroad and what will be required. Im not talking holidays but plenty people nowadays living abroad or people in Scotland from other countries and at some point all wanting to travel to see family etc

Monday, 12 April will see an announcement on this.

Unfortunately, that disgusting creature Devi Sridhar has the Scottish Government's ear and she is a lunatic who thinks travel restrictions actually make a difference when a virus is endemic worldwide.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You must be mistaken, only yesterday Detournement had said that vaccine passports was not solely a UK issue but a worldwide one as the US were pushing forward with them.

How does The White House coming out and binning them fit in with the whole WEF 'Great Reset'?@Detournement

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

So, not only do you feel equipped to challenge the views of an expert based on an article in the Telegraph, you also believe that Twitter (of all places) allows a nuanced conversation / debate?

Edited to add - nothing wrong with you asking questions btw.

Challenging and asking questions are the same thing, no?

I don’t go into conversations like that aggressively or convinced that I’m right, and if someone who knows more about something than I do can set me right, then I’m happy to be educated - too often this doesn’t happen though.

I don’t need to have years of experience to see that Devi blocked an actual expert who asked specific questions of what she was basing her argument on, and to come to the conclusion that this damages her credibility.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ach I don't know. I have a more optimistic view that after a few months we'll be back to ripping the arse out of the environment and stuffing our houses with plastic tat again as though nothing had ever happened. :P

That tends to be the reality when any bad event happens. If anything I think people will overcompensate for the last year and we'll see a surge in pub usage, car purchases, house sales and money spent on "experiences" etc. It'll be like post-war Britain. Can't wait to see what happens when the football opens up again. Wouldn't be surprised to find a surge in crowd sizes at most grounds - temporary or otherwise.

I think people will realise how close they came to losing all of these things having taken them for granted for years.

Will be interesting to see.

The big question is which club is going to have the biggest crowd surge....

In all seriousness when it comes to football I think there will be an initial bounce as people want to get back to what they've missed out on but then will come a slump as many people, or perhaps more likely , their family members have gotten used to doing something else during football time and will no longer find it tolerable for example for a man to disappear for 5 hours on a Saturday leaving the wife & kids  and coming home pished when they had gotten used to him helping round the house, taking the kids out somewhere etc etc

or am I just being old fashioned?

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd
expand

7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nice to see America has binned talk of vaccine passports. If a country as batshit crazy as America can see that domestic vaccine passports are a crock of shit then surely enough people here can as well. 

To be fair to Americans as a population the idea of being free and liberated is drummed into them from birth along with being told  it’s something they should be proud of and they don’t tend to stand for their politicians trying to interfere too much with that . 

unlike here where we seem to be at the mercy of SAGE and their constant predictions of doom and no one is really giving much of a f**k  

Edited by Forever_blueco

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yup, the fact that any third wave will highly likely be no worse than a typically bad influenza season is not justification for ongoing restrictions on our liberty post vaccine rollout.

Challenging and asking questions are the same thing, no?
I don’t go into conversations like that aggressively or convinced that I’m right, and if someone who knows more about something than I do can set me right, then I’m happy to be educated - too often this doesn’t happen though.
I don’t need to have years of experience to see that Devi blocked an actual expert who asked specific questions of what she was basing her argument on, and to come to the conclusion that this damages her credibility.

Challenging and asking questions are not the same thing. Asking questions is about eliciting information, and hopefully learning from it.

Challenging someone on Twitter based on an article in the Telegraph you’ve read, which references some other research which you haven’t read, don’t understand the nuances and don’t know the caveats is not advancing the sum of human knowledge one bit.

In this scenario, you are Devi (not an expert - neither is she in the area she was commenting on).

Don’t be Devi.

Things like this article from the BBC mixing up different types of data just annoy me:

GP Dr Ellie Cannon tells BBC Breakfast the rate for this type of blood clot has been about one in 2.5 million people.

She says that, in contrast, among 2.5 million 40-year-olds with Covid "we would expect around 2,000 deaths", adding the risk of a clot is "incredibly rare"

One in every 2.5m across all age groups is a very different statistic to specifics about 40 year olds, what is the rate for 40 year olds? 

Of these 2000 40 year olds that would end up dead the vast vast majority would have underlying health conditions that make them much more vulnerable to covid so the risk becomes much greater and the vaccine decision is a very different one. 

So you have this thanks to the shitshow of Brexit, all the while followed by certain Government advisers wanting aviation and travel torched for years to come. They have to be held to account.

58 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If I'm reading that right Imperial are predicting another 15k deaths and Warwick another 19k?

I believe this is their 'middle' scenario, rather than their nonsense 'worst case'. For context: 15-19,000 deaths is less than the number of people who died of influenza during the winter of 2017/18.

Edited by Elixir

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If I'm reading that right Imperial are predicting another 15k deaths and Warwick another 19k?

so about the same as we managed in the first fortnight in January?  Death literally the most unavoidable fact of life. get restriction right in the bin

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

so about the same as we managed in the first fortnight in January?  Death literally the most unavoidable fact of life. get restriction right in the bin

Depends if the government think that's an acceptable number that the electorate will swallow.

You'd have to assume most of these deaths would be expected over the winter months so an average of around 150ish per day.  There would also be more people in hospital with coronavirus than those dying so what does that do to the NHS?  You'd hope someone is working all this out.