Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Do whatever England do, just a bit later. Never make a big easing decision first.
There really is no point in pretending now that we have any other strategy.
Aren't we ahead of England as it stands with Hairdressers, Garden Centres etc ???

ETA answered already I see

21 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Golf? Hairdressers / garden centres? First wave of schools?

Has to fit an extremely narrow criteria to be considered a big easing I imagine. 

Edit: yep

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:
Any hospital numbers yet? 200.gif&key=400eae2df74fcb57bcfc72c259c1cec8498de982044b1c47834d1f342e53bb1c

They are up the thread a bit, wasn't a big drop

I wouldn't read too much into that

In my experience it's high on impossible to get discharged from hospital over a holiday weekend. Granted, for obvious reasons things might be a bit different given what's going on, but anyone that is verging borderline will be kept in as the big bosses aren't there to take responsibility 

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's a reduction to 1m I believe similar to that in hospitality and other measures will have to be in place that would be difficult to have in other indoor settings i.e masks on at all times, improved ventilation etc etc.

You can't have 34 folk in a classroom with any form of social distancing. The two things are fundamentally incompatible.

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Has to fit an extremely narrow criteria to be considered a big easing I imagine. 

Edit: yep

Well yes, a "big easing" is exactly that.

Schools in England have been back full time for all pupils since March 8th. Ours are not.

Garden Centres in England never closed so that's a bizarre one.

Scotland also plans to open indoor hospitality, minus alcohol, a full three weeks earlier than England. Tends to get skimmed over but given we’ve been told indoor hospitality is such a big risk, it’s interesting to see.

There’s a lot of tit-for-tat on reopening stuff, you could play it all day. Outdoor gyms opened weeks earlier in Scotland, but indoor will wait two weeks longer, for example. England is probably ever so slightly faster overall but then their data at this stage is better too.

I’ve said this for months but anyone trying to read anything into any of these changes is running a fool’s errand. They’re pretty much on the same page, doing slightly different things at slightly different stages, at least up until that June 21st date where Johnson promised virtual normality and there was no such promise from Scotland (or Wales, or NI) - and at this stage, Sturgeon will come out on top there as I’m not sure England thought of vaccine passports, social distancing, face coverings and limited capacities when they heard the words ‘removal of restrictions’.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
28 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:
Any hospital numbers yet? 200.gif&key=400eae2df74fcb57bcfc72c259c1cec8498de982044b1c47834d1f342e53bb1c

They are up the thread a bit, wasn't a big drop

20 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I wouldn't read too much into that

In my experience it's high on impossible to get discharged from hospital over a holiday weekend. Granted, for obvious reasons things might be a bit different given what's going on, but anyone that is verging borderline will be kept in as the big bosses aren't there to take responsibility 

Cigar away for now, still good to get under the 200 mark though.

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

Scotland also plans to open indoor hospitality, minus alcohol, a full three weeks earlier than England. Tends to get skimmed over but given we’ve been told indoor hospitality is such a big risk, it’s interesting to see.

There’s a lot of tit-for-tat on reopening stuff, you could play it all day. Outdoor gyms opened weeks earlier in Scotland, but indoor will wait two weeks longer, for example. England is probably ever so slightly faster overall but then their data at this stage is better too.

I’ve said this for months but anyone trying to read anything into any of these changes is running a fool’s errand. They’re pretty much on the same page, doing slightly different things at slightly different stages, at least up until that June 21st date where Johnson promised virtual normality and there was no such promise from Scotland (or Wales, or NI) - and at this stage, Sturgeon will come out on top there as I’m not sure England thought of vaccine passports, social distancing, face coverings and limited capacities when they heard the words ‘removal of restrictions’.

I remember the day of johnosns speech, they did only say all legal limits on gatherings sizes would be lifted, they mentioned nothing about masks, social distancing, entry criteria etc

I really wish they'd give us an estimate for removal of mask rules.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

How on earth can they do that? Any date given now would just be wishing on a star.

Given they don't actually do anything, I, personally, just want to know that they are going to be removed as soon as possible. There is no reason why this should not be at some point this year either, even if a specific date is not yet determined.

Becoming permanent, or hanging around "just in case" would be unacceptable.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Given they don't actually do anything, I, personally, just want to know that they are going to be removed as soon as possible.
Becoming permanent would be unacceptable.
Masks, like social distancing, are just things that folk are more than welcome to do if they want.

Once again, its a bit of a strawman argument to say they still have a benefit. No one is looking for the government to say DO NOT WEAR MASKS ANYMORE.

Its the fact that they have passed laws and will treat as a criminal anyone who doesn't.

And back we come to the point about the NHS being under threat.

There's a real sinister air about the way certain folk are calling to be endlessly protected from others. I'm not actually convinced that its even about covid19 in a lot of cases. I think there's a lot of vaccinated people really keen for society to help them stay away from their lessers

I think we are simply at the point where the majority of folk are fatigued with the whole situation and don’t understand why/ what the rules are, and on what basis they are implemented.

Going for a walk yesterday afternoon, the co-op was as busy as ever with loads of folk popping in for a few odds & ends (as was myself) yet the butcher has a strict two customers only limit. Up the street, the cafe and bakers had the ridiculous plastic shield on the front door and folk packed on the pavement  more likely to cause a accident as they huddled and queued for the ubiquitous takeaway coffee. Same as the barber across the road with another group of fellas chatting outside and waiting for their “appointment” in line with regulations.

The trendy furniture shop was re-opened and busy but the shoes and gift shops either side remain closed. What the owners of these businesses must think as they see supermarkets in town packed with greetings cards, shoes, clothing, garden trinkets etc all been on sale the whole time. The bar/ restaurant across the road hasn’t been open for months, yet in late Summer in line with keeping customers safe invested in improving table spacing, track & trace, outdoor seating etc. 

The “data, not dates” mantra was a lot of gibbering pish, as is the paranoia about “third waves” whilst conveniently forgetting the vaccine rollout. We never have had the adult conversation and my snapshot above was just my observations about one village street on one afternoon. Frankly it’s gone beyond “three weeks to save the NHS” or “flattening the curve” and it’s more about personality politics in my view. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Masks, like social distancing, are just things that folk are more than welcome to do if they want.

Once again, its a bit of a strawman argument to say they still have a benefit. No one is looking for the government to say DO NOT WEAR MASKS ANYMORE.

Its the fact that they have passed laws and will treat as a criminal anyone who doesn't.

And back we come to the point about the NHS being under threat.

There's a real sinister air about the way certain folk are calling to be endlessly protected from others. I'm not actually convinced that its even about covid19 in a lot of cases. I think there's a lot of vaccinated people really keen for society to help them stay away from their lessers

There's probably a bit of that, but I think we as a species don't naturally treat each other like we're all disease ridden lepers  and to do so for a prolonged period of time is unhealthy and will have people unable to ever properly relax. as for masks, 1, they do next to f**k all  & 2 so much of our communication is down to non verbal facial expressions , even in Asia it wasn't like people would wear them from 9-5 whenever they were out, it was only in crowded city places and even then it was never a majority that did so

Have we gone full circle on masks then?

When first shouted about we were told that British people wouldn't stand for it and that they didn't work anyway, then we were told they do actually work, they're just not obviously 100% effective, but now we're back to "masks don't do anything"?

Have we gone full circle on masks then?
When first shouted about we were told that British people wouldn't stand for it and that they didn't work anyway, then we were told they do actually work, they're just not obviously 100% effective, but now we're back to "masks don't do anything"?
Personally don't think they have much to contribute in an almost fully vaccinated society tbh. But again, I am only against them being written into law.