Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I've been looking around for reasons what has gone wrong in Chile but no British paper that I have read is coming up with any answers, they don't want us to know why. The Daily Mail blames what they regard as the ineffective 50% success Chinese vaccine they are using, though they don't show any evidence that people who have already been vaccinated are among those who have died or have ended up in hospital. There's also no mention in the Daily Mail that its our variant and the one from Brazil that is causing the problem over there. They blame the Chinese variant and anything Chinese but if so then this country is to blame and has to take responsibility for what is happening around the world now.

That's my Daily Fail rant done.

I had to go to the New York Times to find any kind of straight answers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/world/americas/chile-vaccination-cases-surge.html

There will probably be a more in depth analysis of the situation elsewhere but it shows that although Boris, his cronies and the media are not quite telling porkies they are very being selective in what they tell us. Maybe our media thinks we will get bored quickly with the details? Our own ignorance is their best weapon against us. Ignorance like trying make us believe that our very own variant which is now causing a worldwide crisis including Chile will invade our shores and create a third wave. I don't think even China tried to pull that one last year.

I also had a look at Al Jazeera which tends to be more free with worldly goings on and they tend not to hold back. The situation in India is concerning, they are the second country in the world to record over 100, 000 new cases in one day and the dominant variant there is the .....surprise surprise, the same one that caused the second wave here, plus there are concerns over a double mutant variant.  I got pissed off at this point because I know that this Indian variant will be pulled out of the bag at some point in the near future by our own Government's scientific advisors later in the year.

Such a difference when you compare media here and abroad, we really are being treated like children and being taken for fools.

See that part in red, book mark it.

The Chile situation looks quite straightforward.  They've vaccinated around a third of their population (with one dose) to date but began easing restrictions in November.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Normally I would say that this is the usual making excuses for Sturgeon being shite but Boris does actually have the air of a man with a gun to head on this issue. 

It's basically impossible for Johnson or Sturgeon to stand up to the WEF. It's like asking a dug to play the piano.

You've lost the news!

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

92% complete on 55-59 and 72% complete on 50-54. Based on the figures in the 2011 census, that would mean around 132,000 over 50s still to do. Obviously they're not the only people getting the vaccines, but I can't imagine that taking another 24 days to complete.

That's about 16,500 per day to meet the original target (14th April) I think it was.  Should be doable.  If they miss it by a couple of days or a week who actually cares?

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

If social distancing isn't needed in schools surely it isn't needed anywhere any more. 

Are they still saying it's needed between staff / staff and staff / pupils?

Are they still saying it's needed between staff / staff and staff / pupils?

It will be for teaching staff. Support staff like myself will try to as much as possible but with the pupils I work with that’s not possible all the time. The big difference will be S1-S3s in class wearing masks as well which was not the case before.

That's about 16,500 per day to meet the original target (14th April) I think it was.  Should be doable.  If they miss it by a couple of days or a week who actually cares?

The Radio Clyde tweet was wrong. It is mid April.

4 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

It will be for teaching staff. Support staff like myself will try to as much as possible but with the pupils I work with that’s not possible all the time. The big difference will be S1-S3s in class wearing masks as well which was not the case before.

It's a massive PITA. I can't circulate the class checking jotters and a lot of pupils know this so are trying to get away with doing any work.

I was reading a report earlier from Ireland that said outdoor transmission was accountable for 0.1% of cases. Laughable stuff that they want vaccine passports for sports/gigs outside yet trains and buses which were full of germ breeders even before all this won’t need one. Sound logic there 

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course you can.  Just do it.

Well, no. Not because I'm particularly scared of catching it - I'm not - but because if there was a positive case in my class, and it was discovered I'd been breaking the risk assessment put in place that specifically states we are not to circulate in class, I'd get my arse kicked.

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
29 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:
Sturgeon says some sort of capacity will be at Hampden for the Euro's.

Likely to be 10-12k or thereabouts.

Did she say that or is that your estimate?!

As that would be pretty shite.