Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 04/04/2021 at 16:47, superbigal said:

Daily Infections update.  From UK Gov as opposed to PHS who need 4 days of holidays.  Last 24 hours of data. These numbers if accurate and not solely down to holidays are astonishing. The PHS figures tomorrow should confirm either way.

Cases per 100K last reported 7 days UK Average  47.6 to 44.0 down 7.56%, England  47.3 to 43.9 down 7.19% ,  Wales 31.0 to 28.7 down 7.42%, Northern Ireland 51.6 to 49.4 down 6.20%

Scotland 58.8 to 51.4 down 12.59%

Individual councils Clackmannanshire shows at 228.9 per 100K on these figures (still rising).  The next worst in the UK now is Doncaster  at 129.2  So Clacks is over 75% worse than the 2nd place council in the UK !!  West Lothian is  7th at 106.5, North Lanarkshire is 12th at 103.4.  The only 3 Scottish councils now over 100 per 100K.

Glasgow is now below 70, 

6 councils in the UK have rates under 10 and all are in Scotland.  Orkney 0.0 , Western Isles 0.0 , Dumfries & Galloway 5.4, Argyll & Bute 5.8,  Highlands 6.8 & Shetlands 8.7 have a grand total of 31 active cases !!   The Borders 11.3  & South Ayrshire 16.0 also find themselves in the bottom 20.

21 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

You’re not alone here. I’ve been at that point like you’re  describing here a few times and probably will be again before this is all over. I’m now at the “past giving a f**k” stage as are many people I know. Normal life will come back whether they say it’s allowed to or not.

Agreed, but the aspects of life that can't just f**k off the restrictions like I/you/we all will as they pertain to my home sadden me. Watching the pub industry die will break my heart, for example. 

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

You’re not alone here. I’ve been at that point like you’re  describing here a few times and probably will be again before this is all over. I’m now at the “past giving a f**k” stage as are many people I know. Normal life will come back whether they say it’s allowed to or not.

I think you need to sometimes switch off from this thread, twitter and news sites.    We're in a fast moving environment where it's easy to get lost in a myriad of different takes on a particular news update where people are lighting cigars or losing their heads in equal measure.  This thread is evident of that.

Most people have had good and bad days during the last 12 months, sometimes its good to put the phone down and turn off the laptop for a while and forget.  Not easy I know.

23 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Normal life will come back whether they say it’s allowed to or not.

Absolutely this.

Most of the ideas currently being floated, such as old man pubs needing somebody on every door on a Tuesday afternoon checking for vaccine proof, are so ridiculous that they won't happen. 

The vaccines are fucking immense, and will be the ticket back to normality - regardless of whatever sociopaths like Johnson or Sridhar say.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aren't LFTs shite and full of false results?

They tried to fob them off on English school kids and there was a big backlash by parents saying "f**k no" because a positive test meant self isolation for 10 days even if there was a subsequent negative from a more reliable test.

The number of tests undertaken does suggest that a lot of the tests are being returned. Naturally it is well within the gift of parents not to bother seeing to it that the child is tested, particularly if the little shit is really getting on their parents' nerves. 

Johnson's lost the plot with rolling these out to everyone in England. Total overkill and, frankly, a giant waste of money. I won't be bothering and will go and get a proper test if circumstances dictate that I need one. 

Edited by Michael W

14 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Absolutely this.

Most of the ideas currently being floated, such as old man pubs needing somebody on every door on a Tuesday afternoon checking for vaccine proof, are so ridiculous that they won't happen. 

The vaccines are fucking immense, and will be the ticket back to normality - regardless of whatever sociopaths like Johnson or Sridhar say.

BJ seems hellbent on bringing domestic vaccines in. With a shower of shite MPS who'll either back him or abstain. As for Devi she should have been punted back into obscurity at least 10 months ago. 

Has anyone else on here never had the covid test or downloaded the app? 
Downloaded the app in the vain hope I would get flagged up as a contact once or twice and get some extra time off work.

Never had a test, even when my missus had it in November I never had any symptoms so didn't need one as that was the system at the time.

I downloaded the app but never had a warning.

I’ve also never had to have a test. My girlfriend needs to do the test once a week for her work though despite having had both vaccines, and got it once outside of work after feeling ill and decided to play it safe.

I downloaded the app but never had a warning.

I’ve also never had to have a test. My girlfriend needs to do the test once a week for her work though despite having had both vaccines, and got it once outside of work after feeling ill and decided to play it safe.

I didn’t even get a warning through the app after the wife tested positive, got a text message from test and protect.

Watching the AstraZeneca news with interest.

I understand the line that the risk of dying from Covid is greater than the risk of a blood clot. How does that equation work for younger people though?

I’m looking forward to getting the vaccine as much as anyone, but being younger and getting it later might allow them to figure out whether it is safe or not I guess? I assume we have no say about which vaccine we get, or will that be different in June/July?

19 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

BJ seems hellbent on bringing domestic vaccines in. With a shower of shite MPS who'll either back him or abstain. As for Devi she should have been punted back into obscurity at least 10 months ago. 

That’s the good thing about being in Scotland. We’ve done our own thing up here and not copied Boris whatsoever. The SG have really come to the fore throughout this.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hope so.  Vaccines are the way out of this...

...sorry, vaccines used to be the way out of this.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Has anyone else on here never had the covid test or downloaded the app? 

Downloaded the app soon after it was available. Never needed a Covid test at any stage though will be getting a lateral flow test tomorrow when I visit my dad in his Care Home.

Given the lockdowns across Europe and their f**k up of the vaccine rollout, I wonder if Russia is back on the cards as sole host for the Euros?

If the decision on capacity is due this week, I don't think the UK venues are going to be the ones causing a sweat tbh.