Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Correct it does make zero sense.
But since when has sense been applied?

If crowds are back in June they will still be allowed come the new season unless something goes disastrously wrong.

I wouldn’t bother engaging here, he’s got a spectacular miss record with his doom and gloom nonsense predictions. This latest one equally ludicrous.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
33 minutes ago, G51 said:
Terry Munro’s funeral (RIP).

You've lost me now.

Rangers lifting the trophy.

If 2 fully vaccinated people can't meet then the game is truly up and life is over as we know it.
Alternatively, that fat, mumbling walrus can f**k off. Adult human beings should not need government permission to visit each other's houses.
Boris is so pathologically desperate to be the guy that gives the green light to everything that in the face of people starting to judge risk for themselves, he is even willing to go as far as dumping on the vaccines....

On the football, my guess is that the Scottish Cup final will be earmarked for having at least some crowd at it as a "test event". Otherwise, there will probably be a pre-tournament friendly at Hampden which could serve the same purpose.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
1 hour ago, G51 said:
There’s going to be an unofficial test event on the 15th May, whether they like it or not.

Is it something that George Square benches should feel concerned about?

Only if the morbidly obese troglodytes sit on them.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-holiday-destinations-abroad-to-be-graded-using-traffic-light-system-say-reports-12263366
A "traffic light" system for holidays would cause the complete collapse of the travel and tourism sector.
The threat of your holiday destination suddenly turning "amber" or "red" when you are away will be enough to put people off going. Who needs that type of stress?
Not everyone can WFH, and, even for those who can, being fired into a mandatory hotel quarantine and having to pay thousands because of "cases" is enough to put people off.

Yip even the perma optimistic Simon Calder on BBC this morning very down about prospects. Very few nations going to be on the quarantine free green list and double dose vaccine passport required to boot. Single dose will give you reduced testing and quarantine and the lists will be updated weekly so in effect despite a massively successful vaccine rollout it's going to be not a jot better than last summer but hey, all restrictions gone by mid June remember.

I cannot see the point in going to someplace that has restrictions for a holiday in the summer.

Come September or October Europe will have caught up and it should be full steam ahead for the winter sport season. Our bookings are at the level we would normally be in late August or early September so there are going to be a lot of people disappointed when they try to book late.

Boris is so pathologically desperate to be the guy that gives the green light to everything that in the face of people starting to judge risk for themselves, he is even willing to go as far as dumping on the vaccines....

It’s fucking mental, all he had to say was “ I’m sorry, please wait a little longer as we don’t wish to have different rules for different people “. Most people would hear that and think fair enough
Obviously that’s contradictory to what they’ve been saying so far, there’s also no way they could say just use common sense as the pish would clearly get taken. But the way things are going that’s happening anyway.

We had some guests over last night , not a party just a family of 3 , that plus me and the mrs makes a grand total of 5 or in other words the same number as millions of households up and down the country. Most of the neighbours have been doing similar so I’m confident there’s no grasses round here
Who said community spirit was dead eh

12 hours ago, Rugster said:

How many folk have had a heart attack since having the AZ vaccine? How many people have had a brain aneurysm since having the AZ vaccine? How many folk have been hit by a bus since having the AZ vaccine?

fanny. 

Presumably the answer is similar numbers to the group who have received the other vaccine which is why it hasn't been in the media in multiple countries

The reason that is this is an issue is that the brain thrombosis is only a problem in the AZ group.

12 hours ago, Elixir said:

If this is what happens, surely they have to be fired into the bin along with the Coronavirus Act when the time comes? There simply must be an expiry date which cannot be rolled back on - indeed once it is clear that hospitalisations and deaths have been consistently maintained at their pre-pandemic levels.

There is no way it would “just” last a year, the goalposts would be shifted due to things like variants or the 6th wave in Europe so we just need to keep it to “make sure”.  If it’s introduced it will still be discriminating and excluding people for a year

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Todd, I think the idea is that they are trying to vaccinate everyone before relaxing restrictions fully.

I think the logic behind that is probably that if we fully vaccinate everyone whilst cases are as low as possible, the smaller the chance the virus has to take hold again to the extent we've seen over the last year. The less risk there is to variants getting a chance to develop and get a hold as well. If we have a position where cases, deaths and hospitalisations are tiny AND everyone is fully vaccinated then we are home and hosed as far as doing everything we can. Then the concern would be getting all these other fucking idiotic countries to get their fingers out their collectve arses so we can fully open the borders up as well.

I think that's the logic.

The problem is that predictions are that it won't be until towards the end of summer before everyone is vaccinated and many people including myself have just run out of patience.

I get the logic, and I don't disagree with it.

It was a reply to a poster who said it wouldn't surprise him if we have 15/20k at the Euros in June, but nowhere near that number allowed when the new season kicks off.

Based on previous, those are the type of excuses the SG could deploy in order to explain why, despite 15k being allowed in Hampden 6 weeks prior, it's suddenly not ok for 15k to go to Ibrox or Celtic Park.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Presumably the answer is similar numbers to the group who have received the other vaccine which is why it hasn't been in the media in multiple countries

The reason that is this is an issue is that the brain thrombosis is only a problem in the AZ group.

"Problem" is pushing it a bit.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I wouldn’t bother engaging here, he’s got a spectacular miss record with his doom and gloom nonsense predictions. This latest one equally ludicrous.

Just realistic and an ability to read the mood music.

See if last March I said "this time next year we'll STILL be unable to attend sports events" you'd have said it was doom and gloom nonsense.

I find it peculiar that you dismiss stuff as 'doom and gloom' nonsense, yet even just this week the likes of Chris Whitty was saying restrictions will need kept for the next two years - 'Doom and nonsense'?

Edited by Steven W

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

On the football, my guess is that the Scottish Cup final will be earmarked for having at least some crowd at it as a "test event". Otherwise, there will probably be a pre-tournament friendly at Hampden which could serve the same purpose.

Let's play Andorra. They wouldn't bring any fans anyway, and also allow us to get overly optimistic/destroy all confidence going into the Euros depending on the result.

21 minutes ago, Steven W said:

See if last March I said "this time next year we'll STILL be unable to attend sports events" you'd have said it was doom and gloom nonsense.

I find it peculiar that you dismiss stuff as 'doom and gloom' nonsense, yet even just this week the likes of Chris Whitty was saying restrictions will need kept for the next two years - 'Doom and nonsense'?

Did he say that, though?

He said it was likely "measures" would need to remain in place for two years, but didn't specify what those measures would be.

Enhanced International monitoring, and banning travel to areas where it is out of control, for example, would qualify as measures, but that doesn't automatically mean restrictions here.

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Given that pretty much every prediction you have made for the past year has been spectacularly wrong you clearly aren't as good at 'reading the mood music' as you think you are.

20 minutes ago, Steven W said:

You’ve been wrong on almost every “realistic” prediction you’ve made, which suggests that actually none of them were very realistic in the first place.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Did he say that, though?

He said it was likely "measures" would need to remain in place for two years, but didn't specify what those measures would be.

Enhanced International monitoring, and banning travel to areas where it is out of control, for example, would be measures, but that doesn't automatically mean restrictions here.

Restrictions / measures. Same thing.

Ultimately though, not dismissed as 'doom and gloom nonsense' despite a prediction of restrictions / measures lasting a further two years.

14 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Restrictions / measures. Same thing.

I mean, they aren't. There is a world of difference between being barred from travelling to Botswana, being made to self-isolate on return from Chad, and keeping masks, social distancing and limits on attendance at events in the UK. But I don't imagine you will be convinced on that so I won't try.

Edited by Todd_is_God