Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 30/03/2021 at 15:01, WATTOO said:

You responded to my post with simply "shut up". That's abuse in my book, if you said that to most people in the street you would likely face a right hook and rightly so.

Thanks goodness you don't make our laws then.

58 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The guy has a point. This is exactly why my in-laws won't phone a takeaway, and some parents won't let their kids touch a swing, primary schools are quarantining letters home for 72 hours before sending etc. 

It's totally fair enough that the science would move on, but they need(ed) to signal that more clearly, rather than a tiny paragraph tabloid apology style announcement, or worse, just stop mentioning it rather than say they'd fucked up 

The problem is way back at the start they didn't really have any idea what Covid would lead to so they do tests to see how long it can survive on surfaces and put this is the public domain so folk clean hard surfaces more during the peak(s) the press then boot the fucking arse out of this and then when the science moves on the press don't care and don't report it unless of course someone has fucked up and they can jump up and down on their head.

I expect Boris Johnson Pret saviour and handshaker in chief will avoid all scrutiny.

Edited by 101

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Shop workers in particular seemed remarkably keen to get up on their cross throughout.

You mean they weren't really "risking their lives on the front line" like they would claim at every opportunity?

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Shop workers in particular seemed remarkably keen to get up on their cross throughout.

As an aside, my neck could never bear the minter of skipping a queue under any circumstances. We actually had such a system at my old works canteen. During a particular set of circumstances, myself and those on the same "team" as me would be far too busy to get a proper lunch and were supposed to skip the queue by waving a "fast pass" in folks faces emoji23.png

Absolute OFTW behaviour which I only seen deployed once to major hilarity.

How many P&B key workers brassed their way to the front of a queue, and are the willing to admit it here?

I was in a Burger King a few weeks back in my place.  They have priority lines here for Old Timers and Disabled (good idea) and have now added frontline workers (means hospital staff here)  to the category. A young female came in with her boyfriend (they weren't working as not in uniform) and they both went to the priority line to get served first.  It wasn't even that busy so they maybe saved 2 minutes.  I'd not have had the neck to do that.  

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

As an aside, my neck could never bear the minter of skipping a queue under any circumstances. We actually had such a system at my old works canteen. During a particular set of circumstances, myself and those on the same "team" as me would be far too busy to get a proper lunch and were supposed to skip the queue by waving a "fast pass" in folks faces emoji23.png

Absolute OFTW behaviour which I only seen deployed once to major hilarity.

How many P&B key workers brassed their way to the front of a queue, and are the willing to admit it here?

Wouldnt jump a queue but was working 6 days a week for a bit last year and the local tesco offered some out of hours shopping for a few different groups, that was a bit of a lifesaver as our wee boys nursery was shut so could avoid having to take him to the shops when the lines were massive (would have been a disaster). 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
No.
But I can see what the UK Gov would have to gain from bringing them in short-term.

Which is ?

He’s said quite a few times already what he thinks on it.

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

His pals will still make money from the contract, and the UK Gov will have an incredible amount of personal data that they can sell off or otherwise do what they want with.

It's quite clear that BJ intends to lift gathering size and Social Distancing in mid-June as planned.
This vaccine passport nonsense is a way to allow that whilst getting the hysterical "experts" off his back about it being too soon and damgerous.
Once it is shown that there is no risk of a "ThIrD wAvE!!1!" in a highly vaccinated populatiin, the scheme will be dropped.
His pals will still make money from the contract, and the UK Gov will have an incredible amount of personal data that they can sell off or otherwise do what they want with.
It was all restrictions gone by mid June not just SD. It's supposed to be rolled out once everyone has had two doses with a pilot for that first so no idea where you are getting your take on things. It's a new restriction one that will be in conjunction with many others as BJ heads to the new normal or as close to normal, word it how you like.
Anyone who genuine believes we are going back to how we were this year has quite frankly been had going by the direction of travel. You constantly criticise the like of Leitch for his "close to normal " talk while endorsing it from Bozo under your guise of "short term". Double standards. Time will tell who's right here I suppose but I can see nothing close to normal on the horizon as it stands.

Wouldnt jump a queue but was working 6 days a week for a bit last year and the local tesco offered some out of hours shopping for a few different groups, that was a bit of a lifesaver as our wee boys nursery was shut so could avoid having to take him to the shops when the lines were massive (would have been a disaster). 
Aye, I took advantage of Asda letting selected folk in an hour early on Sundays due to me holding an HMPPS ID card, even though I'm no longer operational, but mostly office based. I felt a bit guilty until I saw some of the other customers who I (probably biased) would have struggled to call "key". In honesty, the place was probably more crowded than normal, with massive checkout queues (because the checkouts couldn't open till ten). It just meant I got the shopping done earlier and kept the rest of Sunday free.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I don't have an issue with the out of hours thing. Ifnits specifically for certain workers then of course, use it. Brassing it past a queue of people because you work in B&M is a bone marrow deep minter though. 

I was in a Burger King a few weeks back in my place.  They have priority lines here for Old Timers and Disabled (good idea) and have now added frontline workers (means hospital staff here)  to the category. A young female came in with her boyfriend (they weren't working as not in uniform) and they both went to the priority line to get served first.  It wasn't even that busy so they maybe saved 2 minutes.  I'd not have had the neck to do that.  

My pals sister is a paramedic, she told us she’d pulled up at a coop and stood in a queue, was in a no rush but because she was in uniform the staff were awkwardly trying to get her in the store ahead of the 3 other people.

I’d have been mortified.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

My pals sister is a paramedic, she told us she’d pulled up at a coop and stood in a queue, was in a no rush but because she was in uniform the staff were awkwardly trying to get her in the store ahead of the 3 other people.

I’d have been mortified.

Probably saw the ambulance and the blue lights and thought she was too casual

I dunno, it's easy enough now in hindsight to slag off shop workers for claiming to be key workers and putting themselves in danger at the front line etc, but back at the start of all this, people (even the main players on here) were genuinely concerned, if not scared, and these people were going to work in public places and serving essential groceries, which going by the advice at the time was dodge af

I dunno, it's easy enough now in hindsight to slag off shop workers for claiming to be key workers and putting themselves in danger at the front line etc, but back at the start of all this, people (even the main players on here) were genuinely concerned, if not scared, and these people were going to work in public places and serving essential groceries, which going by the advice at the time was dodge af
Literally can only speak for myself here and won't presume to do so for others.

At no point during this have I ever been scared of Covid.

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I agree with this tbh. Thought the dig at shop workers was a bit out of order, as they genuinely were one of the few groups of workers who genuinely were in one of the worst environments for spreading, and had no choice but to just continue on whilst the majority hid in their houses.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Literally can only speak for myself here and won't presume to do so for others.

At no point during this have I ever been scared of Covid.

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

I think you’re way off here, especially the bit in bold. I actually think you’re being a bit insulting and there’s a lot of revisionism going on here based on what we know now.

At the point of the first lockdown we knew very little on who it was impacting on and it was believed, by a large majority I would suggest, that there was a serious risk to potentially anyone. Plenty of workers had to continue to go to work and legitimately (due to the thinking and press coverage at the time) put their lives at risk. The bit in bold is actually verging on outrageous to me, essentially accusing anyone who was scared of Covid but not willing to chuck their job and livelihood down the drain as “stupid”.

I was classed as a Level 3 key worker which I thought was a bit like being an Iron Cross Third Class. Anyway I only used this distinction to get a discount on my car service last year.

I avoided queuing for shops by going when the shops were quieter and it never occurred to me I could skip queues.

30 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’d have been mortified.

It's the rationale behind the prioritisation I didn't get - for frontline staff on duty fair enough they may need to get in and out ASAP but off-duty?  Some token of recognition for the work they were doing maybe but isn't that a can of worms?  If it was all "essential" staff I would be onboard with it but it wasn't.