Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, mizfit said:

My work announced its plans to allow more flexible working going forward.

I was in a meeting 2 weeks ago about how it would work. The language has definitely became more pessimistic and has moved from you getting to decide to “management and staff agreement.”

Didn’t help one old c**t spent the meeting saying working from home is shite because he doesn’t like using teams.

The same program he’d have to use in the office.

Aye I think this is my concern. Our directors have said that they'll look to be more flexible when it comes to being in the office, but unless there's a sort of structure put in place I can see that language rolling back fairly quickly. We're a smaller company and I know a fair few of the old duffers want back in the office. In an office of 14 folk, if enough people just ignore the potential "2 days in the office the rest from home" idea that was put out to us 6 months ago, it puts a weird kind of pressure on the rest of us who like the WFH aspect to just get back in like the rest of them 

53 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I was in a meeting 2 weeks ago about how it would work. The language has definitely became more pessimistic and has moved from you getting to decide to “management and staff agreement.”

Didn’t help one old c**t spent the meeting saying working from home is shite because he doesn’t like using teams.

Yup, this sounds familiar. I've got a few mates who were really looking forward to working from home - productivity had shot up, better work/life balance, less money on commute - but now their bosses are heavily hinting that they should expect to be in the building five days a week. One isn't even heavily hinting, one has outright told him that he wants staff back in as he likes going around the office and seeing everyone is at their computer quietly working.

It's just another example of the bizarre fixation this country has with outdated traditions.

19 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Aye I think this is my concern. Our directors have said that they'll look to be more flexible when it comes to being in the office, but unless there's a sort of structure put in place I can see that language rolling back fairly quickly. We're a smaller company and I know a fair few of the old duffers want back in the office. In an office of 14 folk, if enough people just ignore the potential "2 days in the office the rest from home" idea that was put out to us 6 months ago, it puts a weird kind of pressure on the rest of us who like the WFH aspect to just get back in like the rest of them 

All it will take is one of the old c***s to say "I needed to talk to so-and-so so I could iron something out, but couldn't as they were at home" and businesses will have half the folk back in before you can say "car and fuel companies want folk leasing a new car every three years".

49 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Thankfully we seem to be going in the other direction. There’s now an active effort to introduce 50% home working (for those who can) by tying it to efforts to reduce the overall carbon footprint through less commuting. 

The problem is that with a UK government that’s hostile to WFH, you can just imagine them introducing some kind of new laws or taxes that makes it unappealing for employers. 

I'm hopeful we'll have enough flexibility built in and enough "old duffers" prepared to make up the numbers in the office to allow me to please myself.

It's quite easy to see who can and can't function WFH. I don't mind accommodating people in real difficulty, but we are all supposed to be adaptable and open to change. I don't want to now "lose"  the travel expenses and productivity gains I've made because "Boab can't access the H drive and needs his book with all his stuff in it."

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Interesting it's the "oldies" who want back. We are the polar opposite. The younger "out after work" crowd are pushing for a return while the more mature types seem to be the ones pressing for more flexibility. My sector has always had a fair WFH element but we interact with umpteen different client groups and the different attitudes are quite stark.

13 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yeah there's absolutely no way that full houses will be allowed at any club while Ibrox and Parkhead are partly closed. Those in power - the government, the police etc. - are shit feared of offending either of those sets of fans, particularly Rangers fans.

Spot on football would have been back in the late summer and autumn if it weren't for the 2 cheeks and sadly the SPFL are never going to say open up 40 grounds and keep 2 closed which would be very sensible.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Yup, this sounds familiar. I've got a few mates who were really looking forward to working from home - productivity had shot up, better work/life balance, less money on commute - but now their bosses are heavily hinting that they should expect to be in the building five days a week. One isn't even heavily hinting, one has outright told him that he wants staff back in as he likes going around the office....

Move on then sounds an unhealthy environment. There has been hints from the usual HR departments and directors of a return to the office for ‘health reasons’ in our organisation, ‘it’s not healthy to be stuck your house’....lot of p1sh. I’m hopeful of wfh 3 days a week and if they tell me I’m going back into the office 5 days I’ll walk out.  

Interesting it's the "oldies" who want back. We are the polar opposite. The younger "out after work" crowd are pushing for a return while the more mature types seem to be the ones pressing for more flexibility. My sector has always had a fair WFH element but we interact with umpteen different client groups and the different attitudes are quite stark.
I guess it depends on the company. I would imagine younger graduates at bigger companies would be dying to get into the office, not least of all because it's probably easier to learn but the early years of your career in those companies is about meeting new people and I know the first few years of the graduate culture is a sort of continuation of uni in terms of going out 2/3 times a week. My companies tiny and everyone apart from me has been there for at least 6/7 years so not really the same vibe.

I wouldn't say it was "the oldies" wanting back at my work either. The older employees generally have large houses and sufficient space to work from home in comfort - they aren't the ones at their kitchen tables or working from makeshift desks. 

I haven't heard anyone saying they don't want to go back at all, but I'm sure there are a few happy to do so. We held off on the back to the office plans previously before unveiling them just before the government changed its mind again on working from home. Haven't seen anything in the meantime, so no idea what will be happening. In the mean time we have closed some smaller offices with the staff now on full time home working contracts. I doubt people will be back 5 days a week, but let's see what happens. 

We are all working off Teams on our own devices and none of the IT in the office is configured for Teams so if one person is at home for a meeting , essentially everyone has to be at home.

I love working at home but appreciate some of the lower paid workers are sitting on the end of a couch, crippling their backs, never getting out in a one bedroom flat with shite WiFi maybe having to share IT with a partner.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Yup, this sounds familiar. I've got a few mates who were really looking forward to working from home - productivity had shot up, better work/life balance, less money on commute - but now their bosses are heavily hinting that they should expect to be in the building five days a week. One isn't even heavily hinting, one has outright told him that he wants staff back in as he likes going around the office and seeing everyone is at their computer quietly working.

It's just another example of the bizarre fixation this country has with outdated traditions.

That sounds to me that the manager is in fear of losing his job, he’s realised that he’s not needed when everyone is WFH and the increase in productivity is not down to him.

2 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Well the day after the jag is fun, I have paid good money in the past to feel this tuned to the moon. Roll on the 2nd dose.

I disagree. Got my first jag yesterday morning. Had an hour of chills and jitters about midnight last night and today I feel absolutely shattered. Basically I’ve felt like I want to go back to sleep ever since I got up. Kind of like a hangover but without the headache, the drooth or the fear.

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I wouldn't say it was "the oldies" wanting back at my work either. The older employees generally have large houses and sufficient space to work from home in comfort - they aren't the ones at their kitchen tables or working from makeshift desks. 

I’m finding a bit of a geographical split at our place.   The London based guys are keen to get back in the office even if part time.  There’s the after work social aspect of it and they don’t have space at home for a decent home working setup.  The Scottish guys typically drive to work and generally can afford bigger houses so have more space to WFH.

Well the day after the jag is fun, I have paid good money in the past to feel this tuned to the moon. Roll on the 2nd dose.
With my RVO injections into my eyeball, the aftereffects of gritty eyes from the anaesthetic kind of take the shine off what is a spectacular "Pink Floyd oil on water light show" for a few minutes post jag.

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

With my RVO injections into my eyeball, the aftereffects of gritty eyes from the anaesthetic kind of take the shine off what is a spectacular "Pink Floyd oil on water light show" for a few minutes post jag.

Time to stick on Meddle & ride it out methinks, had to get drops and a LA into my eye post TITP  c2008 due to having an inflamed cornea, if they had suggested an injection I think I would have asked them to remove the eye instead. I am not usually squeamish but that gave me the absolute fear, f**k getting laser eye surgery.

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I disagree. Got my first jag yesterday morning. Had an hour of chills and jitters about midnight last night and today I feel absolutely shattered. Basically I’ve felt like I want to go back to sleep ever since I got up. Kind of like a hangover but without the headache, the drooth or the fear.

After a mad sneezing fit first thing, I am getting the whole light headed pysch experience, thankfully no fatigue but I do feel zombiefied in a not unpleasant but still kind of worrying way.