Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s a bit scary that in terms of hospital and ICU numbers we are going to be in a better position within a few days than we were in during last summer when a lot had opened back up, but still be 7 weeks away from being allowed into another household or even having more than 4 people in a group together in a hospitality setting.

The important thing is that God-botherers are allowed to congregate in groups of 50 indoors again, despite a safe 90% of them being in the co-morbidity groups we've set our economy on fire for a year to protect.

But another month before travelling fifteen miles from home becomes legal again for reasons!

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Had a wee look in to the 'footy' (Rugby League) from Sydney this morning.

1566090112_RabbitohsvRoosters.thumb.jpg.f1c2f6ce6a71fefb7f2e8d7071bec68e.jpg

The picture illustrates how poorly the UK, island nations, have dealt with the Covid-19 situation.

Erm no, because Australia isn't a global travel hub and doesn't have a continent thirty miles away whose hauliers are critical to feeding its population and keeping the economy functioning.

Covid isolating the British Isles is just as moronic an idea as Brexit isolating them instead, except coming from the opposite wing of window-lickers. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm no, because Australia isn't a global travel hub and doesn't have a continent thirty miles away whose hauliers are critical to feeding its population and keeping the economy functioning.

Taiwan serves many airports in China and worldwide, has a population around the 25 million mark and has had 10 deaths from Covid. That's because they closed down their hub (Taoyuan International), which is normally in the top 10 airports in the world for passenger/freight combined.

Surely you're not arguing the UK have done better, or perhaps you are quarreling for the sake of it.

11 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Taiwan serves many airports in China and worldwide, has a population around the 25 million mark and has had 10 deaths from Covid. That's because they closed down their hub (Taoyuan International), which is normally in the top 10 airports in the world for passenger/freight combined.

Surely you're not arguing the UK have done better, or perhaps you are quarreling for the sake of it.

Last time I checked you were comparing the UK to Australia; it's really not my fault that you can drive the entire daily UK-France convoy of HGVs through your ridiculous argument. 

Perhaps you can try again with another photo and that hot take to see if anyone buys it.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

i can imagine she gets sick of being questioned off a layman like me, but just patching any reasonable detailed arguments from people who know the ins and outs of the data simply because it doesn’t suit her narrative and bank balance is shite.

I've seen sense in some of her articles (don't look at her stuff on twitter apart from what gets posted here) but I completely agree with this. I get she's looking at stuff from a super-cautious public health perspective, but she's made a bold statement that's not based on fact, and has refused to back down from that. Then blocking someone like @sailorrooscout for a perfectly reasonable response to that statement isn't just her being defensive, it's just crazy. He was very polite and factual in his replies, including data and saying stuff like "I think it’s important to distinguish that point. Thank you."

As for that weirdo Devi, I cant wait for the day she is called out on her shit views by people in the MSM, rather than her being wheeled out onto GMB or quotes from her in the papers. Shes a fcking nutriotisint (iirc) yet her warped mindset is being taken as gospel by those looking for soundbites

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

She’s blocked a couple of scientific types simply because they’ve challenged her on her nonsense today, and she’s gone defensive claiming she’s being destroyed.

i can imagine she gets sick of being questioned off a layman like me, but just patching any reasonable detailed arguments from people who know the ins and outs of the data simply because it doesn’t suit her narrative and bank balance is shite.

She thinks she knows better than people whose credentials and remit exceed hers by far. She is an utterly absurd big child who is probably WhatsApping Chelsea Clinton asking why those big bad vaccinologists are picking on her.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
It’s a bit scary that in terms of hospital and ICU numbers we are going to be in a better position within a few days than we were in during last summer when a lot had opened back up, but still be 7 weeks away from being allowed into another household or even having more than 4 people in a group together in a hospitality setting.

Aye but variants.

Err, that's highly transmittable, immunity and vaccine dodging variants, thanks.

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Last time I checked you were comparing the UK to Australia; it's really not my fault that you can drive the entire daily UK-France convoy of HGVs through your ridiculous argument. 

Perhaps you can try again with another photo and that hot take to see if anyone buys it.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Ah, so you are arguing for the sake of it: it was you who mentioned the UK being a transport hub, you are being contrary for the sake of it.

France claims UK will struggle to source second Covid jabs

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/26/france-uk-struggle-source-second-covid-jabs-eu-blackmail?

I haven't paid too much attention to the UK v EU vaccination squabbles, and while the UK Gov have continually said they are confident about having enough supplies, what happens if we don't? It was always the case we'd rely more on the Oxford/AZ vaccine as the roll-out progresses, but are we really at the stage where the EU are going to block supplies to the UK and lead to a potential problem with people getting their second jag?  

Edited by s_dog
Edit link

11 minutes ago, s_dog said:

I've seen sense in some of her articles (don't look at her stuff on twitter apart from what gets posted here) but I completely agree with this. I get she's looking at stuff from a super-cautious public health perspective, but she's made a bold statement that's not based on fact, and has refused to back down from that. Then blocking someone like @sailorrooscout for a perfectly reasonable response to that statement isn't just her being defensive, it's just crazy. He was very polite and factual in his replies, including data and saying stuff like "I think it’s important to distinguish that point. Thank you."

The fact shes blocking people for asking valid questions and also blocking actual experts gives her a bit of a narcissist vibe imo. The fact her and the main guy JL also love the sound of their own voice and their face on the TV confirms this even more. A pair of narc moonhowlers 

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As for that weirdo Devi, I cant wait for the day she is called out on her shit views by people in the MSM, rather than her being wheeled out onto GMB or quotes from her in the papers. Shes a fcking nutriotisint (iirc) yet her warped mindset is being taken as gospel by those looking for soundbites

Yeah, you certainly don't want nutriotisints involved in deciding policy.

The Taiwan comparison is pointless anyway as they were scarred by SARS and paranoid. That simply did not exist in the UK or rest of Europe. Shutting the borders when Taiwan did in January 2020 would have been inconceivable and nobody was calling for it. Granted, most border measures now are also utterly pointless, but still.

The UK is obviously highly reliant on road haulage from the continent which couldn't just be cut off. We could, however, have done something about the passengers travelling in and out of the country.

It should also be noted that countries like Taiwan had pandemic plans based on a coronavirus after SARS and MERS. We based all of ours on a flu which has proved to be pretty useless.