Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Hasn't it been well established though that children will receive a vaccine with some sort of modification? 

Kids being vaccinated here won't be preventing it going into adults arms elsewhere.

I'm not so sure about that, the supply chain will need to devote resources to manufacture and deliver the modified vaccine that could have been devoted to supplying the "poorer" countries with the adult vaccines.

21 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Could get Virus and The Germs  for some Punk although I suspect the latters guitarist might be busy elsewhere & I'm pretty sure the singers dead.

Germ Free Adolescents only allowed in in case Covideo killed the Radio Star

Test and Tracey Ullman

Jason Leitch and the Scorchers

System of a Lockdown

Van Morrison will play Oxford Zeneca Astral weeks

Sigue Sigue Sputnik V

The Wu Han Clan with a cover of Bat out of Hell...

3 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Anybody got the variant klaxon handy? I've seen that there is now chat on Twitter from an 'expert' that the SA variant is going to be running rampant soon over here and that the AZ vaccine is  useless against it...

Not very effective against prevention of mild and moderate illness. That said, effective against severe illness. 

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mind when folk said that the government would stay out the way of businesses deciding where staff have to work from?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56535575

Mr Sunak told the newspaper that home working is no substitute for an office environment with "people riffing off each other".

c3c.png

Anybody got the variant klaxon handy? I've seen that there is now chat on Twitter from an 'expert' that the SA variant is going to be running rampant soon over here and that the AZ vaccine is  useless against it...
Did the South African variant even run rampant in South Africa?

All vaccines still prevent severe illness and death. If it keeps people out of hospital it should be seen as doing its job.

All vaccines still prevent severe illness and death. If it keeps people out of hospital it should be seen as doing its job.
Know what hadnt really occurred to me until recently....

Back when a vaccine was a bit of a pipe dream, and we didnt know if or when wed get one.... It was always lauded as the way out, and science at large probably would have snapped your hand off for 70% effectiveness.....

The handwringing going on now because a vaccine that literally keeps EVERYONE out of hospital might not prevent a couple of days feeling about tired is mental

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mind when folk said that the government would stay out the way of businesses deciding where staff have to work from?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56535575

This might be the first time I've ever seen comments on a BBC article that are actually sensible.

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

No the Falkirk Variant is causing havoc though.

Seriously South Africa is close to population of UK.

It is very hard to compare because they only test about 10% of the numbers we test in the UK.

Their daily case rate 7 day rolling average is less than 20 cases per 100K recently.

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I clearly prefer my reporting of events in West Lothian & Dave the undergraduates flat above the Phoenix in Dundee.

I'd certainly look strongly at quitting if I was made to work from home full time. I dont find it enjoyable in the slightest.

Then again, as I've said numerous times before, I'm not paying silly money for my commute. Were I shelling out for a London season ticket there is no chance I'd be wanting to go back and would take the non-enjoyment of working from home for the additional money in my pocket. I currently have little to no financial benefit from working at home. 

There's a balance to be had. Get it wrong and people will indeed leave. In particular mandating 5 days in the office isn't going to fly with the vast majority. 

Edited by Michael W