Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

If it were that easy, we'd be doing it now. This unfortunately isn't like switching your facilities to make PPE and face masks. 

The Novavax vaccine will be produced in Livingston but it's not yet approved and I don't think is expected to have the first doses ready to go until later this year at the earliest. 

I know it's not easy, but I'm not really sure the gravity of the situation should allow whether or not something is easy be the deciding factor. I am fully aware that theres a limited amount of places who can formulate vaccines. But like I say, I doubt everyone of them is doing so, and they should be. 

Sound the variant klaxon again!

A new double mutant variant of the coronavirus and 771 others have been detected in samples collected from 18 states across India.

Of the 10,787 samples, 736 were positive for the UK variant, 34 for the South African variant and one for the Brazilian variant.

The report comes amid a recent surge in Covid cases in India.

But the government said there was no link between the spike in cases and these variants.

15 minutes ago, Paco said:

Wouldn’t be the worst thing if this saga highlights that we’re staying in lockdown for months longer than necessary so the shareholders of Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna et all can make more money.

We’ll look back on this as fucking bonkers.

If that doesn't break capitalism's grip on the world, you start to wonder what will.

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This seems mental.

Shocker of a decision. Essentially what we're saying here is that the right to attend a church trumps public health. If we do lock down again, they will need to stay open. 

In which case I would suggest that other challenges against lockdown measures are not far off. 

Another morning of “tHiRd WaVe” nonsense , this one was talking about how we should be fearful of it and then there was a discussion about ongoing SD. 

Virologist Dr Bharat Pankhania: "Whilst the vaccines protect you from severe disease, they may not protect you from mild or moderate disease". Ehm yeah just like the flu jab doesn’t mean you won’t get a mild dose of it 😏

Deputy Chief Medical Officer on whether people in the UK should be wearing face masks: Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce  spread of the disease in UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

When are folk going to wake up and see they’re being played like a fiddle 

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Shocker of a decision. Essentially what we're saying here is that the right to attend a church trumps public health. If we do lock down again, they will need to stay open. 

In which case I would suggest that other challenges against lockdown measures are not far off. 

I would say private schools might get in on the act but it would need them to say they can't provide an education from home which might get chucked out, I suspect most reasonable people thought you could practice your religion from home it appears not.

The ECHR explicitly states that freedom to practice religion is subject to limitations in law that are necessary to protect public health, so not sure how this judgement can be passed.

Really looking forward to three weeks of constant focus on whether the combination of two mutations that the vaccines are individually effective against suddenly means they aren't able to do their job, before it becomes clear that, unlike humans, vaccines are actually able to effectively multitask and we move on to something else.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

This is very bad news

Really scary path that Europe (that means us too) could be going down here. Boris and the British Government have been quite publicly quiet on this which I'm taking to be a good sign that a mutually beneficial arrangement is being worked on behind the scenes.

5 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Really scary path that Europe (that means us too) could be going down here. Boris and the British Government have been quite publicly quiet on this which I'm taking to be a good sign that a mutually beneficial arrangement is being worked on behind the scenes.

I certainly hope so but based on the briefing i'm watching the EU seems intent to control exports if Countries are doing well with their vaccination rates, that by extension would mean the UK. 

I thought i'd read that little of the AZ vaccine was coming from the EU anyway - is that right?

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That is genuinely baffling. Fucking disgraceful tbh and surely that means numerous challenges from all sectors affected will start now.

Are there any other organisations where the 'customer' is made up primarily of 60+ people who vote?

EDIT: I realise this was (nominally at least) a non-political judgement but does anyone honestly think that if churches were attended by folk in their 20s the same judgement would have been made?

Edited by Gaz

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That @politicsforall account absolutely reeks of being run by the Tories btw.

It keeps tagging that Guido Fawkes for all the stories it reports/retweets.  It's definitely a Tory running it.