Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

When we begin opening things up with most of the population still unvaccinated, we’ll see more cases. We know this. Where the vaccines will come into their own though is stopping people going to hospital, and breaking chains of transmissions. Cases shouldn’t explode the way they would’ve done ordinarily.

Given over 50% of the adult population of the UK have currently received their first dose (and over 40% total population), we'll not be opening things up with most of the population unvaccinated though. 

By the time we get to May and the larger sections of society begin to open up, you'd expect that if supply issue situation can be resolved, you'll be veering towards about 2/3rds of the population with at least one jag.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

4. Shite vaccine rollout.

Resolving 4 will nullify a huge part of the rises attributed to 1,2 and 3.

5. Less immunity in the population after being spared this time last year.

34 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

We can add Simon Clarke (some sort of microbiologist) to the shit list based on his horrific chat on the radio earlier.

Emphasising the small % numbers of those who the vaccine may not work for, constantly referencing worst case scenarios and giving it the “yeah, but....” any time a positive point around the vaccine was given.

Anti vaxxers w**k material.

He was absolutely loving his regular gig on Sky News in the early days last year. No surprise to see he's not happy being off the tele and reduced to radio.

Not that I have a large amount of faith in politicians either side of the border, but I do find heartening the lack of a shitebag kneejerk response to recent news. I said before when folk were clamouring to dismiss Johnsons latest dates given that the language has clearly changed. Its not a coincidence. Something has changed in the data* they are working off of and the direction of travel is one way now. There's things happening that haven't happened at any point since this started. My work for example have now for the first time begun the process of getting those WFH back to the office. 

*We know that the things thats changed is phenomenally effective vaccines

21 hours ago, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:   Something odd going on with formatting so apologies if spaces are appearing between councils.  Quite a decent day excluding 1.

West Lothian is now 72% worse than 2nd place East Renfrewshire. 80 cases in some village area. What dreadful figures for a council area in virtual lockdown. Any reasonable explanations ?

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 13th March to 19th March were 3899 to 3848 down 1.31%. Positivity was  3.1% still 3.1%.   Cases per 100k were  71.4 now 70.4

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average 58.9 to 58.1 down 1.36%, England 58.1 to 57.1,  Wales 42.7 to 43.2, Northern Ireland 64.4 to 63.8   

NHS Progress   Lanarkshire 97.9 to 98.2, Greater Glasgow  96.7 to 90.7  , North Ayrshire & Arran 92.3 to 88.5, Lothian 74.9 to 77.0, Forth Valley 73.3 to 76.3, Fife 76.0 to 74.4, the rest all under Scottish average.

European (Above 2 Million Population) Shockers: Czech  709 to 685, Hungary 529 to 511, Serbia 472 to 483, Poland 335 to 351, Bulgaria 297 to 317, Sweden  292 to 303, France 274 to 285, Italy 263 to 262, showing how much worse it is in Europe.  The UK only has below it  Portugal 46 (Who were top recently !!!) and Russia 34.   

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview
The Bad boys club Over 100 Cartel

West Lothian 177.5 to 193.3  7.7% Positivity & Livingston Village & Eilburn Southnow 1500 on the shitshow meter. 

East Renfrewshire 127.7 to 112.0    Down 12% on the day

North Lanarkshire  109.3 to 108.7 

Glasgow City 116.1 to 108.0  Another decent day down near 7%

North Ayrshire  100.9 to 100.9

Under 100 Club

Perth & Kinross   94.8 to 95.4

South Lanarkshire  85.5 to 87.4

Dundee City  73.7 to 86.4  A student party kicked off in Perth Road with now 44 cases.  Guid party though.   

Renfrewshire 85.4 to 84.9

Falkirk 78.3 to 84.5

South Ayrshire  89.7 to 84.4  

East Ayrshire  84.4 to 77.9

Fife 76.0 to 74.4

Under Scottish Average club 70.4

Clackmannanshire  62.1 to 67.9 

West Dunbartonshire   61.8 to 66.3 

Stirling 70.1 to 66.9   Fallin still 2nd most deadliest area in Scotland with close to 1000 per 100K

Midlothian  87.6 to 72.5 to 59.5  Astonishing 32% drop in 48 hours

SUB 50 Good Guys

Shetland Islands 48.0 to 48.0  Another outbreak 11 cases those skanky islanders

City Of Edinburgh   45.9 to 45.7

East Dunbartonshire  47.9 to 44.2

East Lothian 41.1 to 43.0

Aberdeen City 32.8 to 32.8

Aberdeenshire   32.5 to 31.0 

Havana & Malt Whisky club Sub 30.0

Highlands 29.3 to 28.4

Inverclyde 29.6 to 24.4

Moray 25.0 to 24.0

Angus  22.4 to 20.7

Scottish  Borders   11.3 to 9.5   Just wow a total of 11 cases

Argyll & Bute   8.2 to 9.3

Dumfries & Galloway 8.7 to 8.1  These guys were top early January and now have 12 cases.

Western Isles  3.7 to 3.7

Orkney Island  0.0 to 0.0 

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I literally cannot believe there is still any debate on what's the best approach. It's the triumph of feelings over fact.

Taiwan has 5 times the population of Scotland and ten times the population density. It has the 11th busiest airport in the world and is a major trading nation with huge numbers of people coming and going. It's a democracy so the government can't just do anything it likes.

They've had so few deaths you can't see them on the chart. The number is 10. Whatever they did is what we should have done and I don't understand why it's any more complicated than that. We think we're so clever in the west but compared to the countries that have done well we're just a bunch of spoiled children.

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 13.32.28.png

I'm not sure what the point in this post is. Almost everyone acknowledges that the UK did a terrible job at the start, and that there were other countries who were able to more effectively prevent outbreaks of the disease. Aside from going back in a time machine and changing our policy, I don't see what you expect people to do now though?

I literally cannot believe there is still any debate on what's the best approach. It's the triumph of feelings over fact.
Taiwan has 5 times the population of Scotland and ten times the population density. It has the 11th busiest airport in the world and is a major trading nation with huge numbers of people coming and going. It's a democracy so the government can't just do anything it likes.
They've had so few deaths you can't see them on the chart. The number is 10. Whatever they did is what we should have done and I don't understand why it's any more complicated than that. We think we're so clever in the west but compared to the countries that have done well we're just a bunch of spoiled children.
2135843535_Screenshot2021-03-22at13_32_28.thumb.png.8d79627ba9da38e0a4a84f42171b938e.png
I don't think anyone is debating what the best approach would have been at the start of this but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The Taiwan approach is a ship which has long since sailed as far as we're concerned and the best thing we can do now is get jags in arms which is what we are doing.

It's experience as much as anything else. SARS and MERS never came to the UK, but Avian Flu and Swine Flu did, so we thought we might face a flu pandemic which we've had before but not a SARS virus, and certainly not one with a 2 week asymptomatic incubation period. But countries in Asia with experience of SARS etc. knew what to do and when. 

Makes me think - SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Avian Flu, Covid - that's 5 pandemics in the last 20 years. So in ~4 years when Emu Flu or whatever rolls around, bet we're straight into lockdown, masks, social distancing, the works. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

It's experience as much as anything else. SARS and MERS never came to the UK, but Avian Flu and Swine Flu did, so we thought we might face a flu pandemic which we've had before but not a SARS virus, and certainly not one with a 2 week asymptomatic incubation period. But countries in Asia with experience of SARS etc. knew what to do and when. 

Makes me think - SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Avian Flu, Covid - that's 5 pandemics in the last 20 years. So in ~4 years when Emu Flu or whatever rolls around, bet we're straight into lockdown, masks, social distancing, the works. 

The plans for pandemic flu is different to plans for a pandemic Coronavirus I think this point was made a lot at the start and highlighted a lot of general lack of preparedness.