Coronavirus (COVID-19)

53 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The guts of 5000 pages? Can you summarise? Preferably into a single, short paragraph.

I’d recommend going back to the 7th of April when Bojo got taken into intensive care - things got very heated to say the least.

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

Fair enough pal. I was basing my comment on the fact that some of my colleagues got vaccinated on Saturday with the AZ version. Obviously just happened today.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
26 minutes ago, Michael W said:
We must have opened the nail bars and not told anyone. 

West of Scotland nail bars only then ???

Just the staunch ones. 

34 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

A bit concerning, even if not enough data yet to be conclusive, that the numbers appear to be turning upwards again:
IMG_0172.jpg

The positivity rate table has started to turn upwards in the last few days too:

IMG_0173.jpg

As I say, not conclusive, but enough to be slightly concerned....

In some respects this could be a good thing, let's say the infection rates start going through the roof and we end up with a "third wave", however if this happens and hospital admissions, ICU cases and Deaths remain low to very low, then that would prove beyond doubt two very important things,

1. The vaccines do indeed work.

2. The virus is no longer a major threat to life or our NHS and as such life could and should be returning to normal.

I suppose we can only hope this is indeed the outcome.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's unlikely we would have let the EU manage our roll out certainly seem like even when countries are banning the use of the AZ Vax they are doing so country by county so it's a cluster f**k if EU incompetence and member states being daft.

Part of the problem is that the EU and member states have been painted in a very positive light generally in certain circles, simply because Boris and his chums are a useless shower of you know what.

In reality, they're still prone to absolute f**k ups like anyone else is. The more extreme aspects of Brexit took over the narrative though, and proper scrutiny of European failings from a reasonable POV has never really been a widespread narrative - generally it's usurped by gammon chat about foreigners and the resultant tit for tat. It can still be traced back to Tory fuckwittery though.

There'll be a decent amount of people here who'll therefore trust "Europe" before they trust anything coming from our Government, which generates vaccine hesitancy at the worst possible moment. I'd still hope for a modicum of critical thinking from people in any case.

Surely cases are going to go up every time anything is released?  If we were going to halt progress after seeing a small increase in the wake of making fundamental changes, it will never ever get done.

I would flip it round and say the fact that the increase in cases is relatively minor, 3 weeks after the schools started to go back, is a very good sign.  

The vaccines are working and the deaths/admissions are slowing - they are the major indicators in my opinion.  Case numbers and % positive rates tell part of the story, but they shouldn't be used solely as a reason to fire than handbrake on - especially with the data as limited as it is.

2 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

I really wasn’t for going to mine today. My anxiety can be mental at times and after reading the blood clot headlines it really did have me worried. Eventually thought f*ck it and just went. No side effects yet. 

Really glad to hear that mate 👍 🤝 

If the reopening of schools does lead to a massive uptick of cases but due to us being well on the road through a vaccination programme and hospitalisations / deaths are very low it's a great thing.

But it also shows what a monumentally stupid idea it was to open them full-time in August and down south in January when we didn't have a vaccination programme.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If the reopening of schools does lead to a massive uptick of cases but due to us being well on the road through a vaccination programme and hospitalisations / deaths are very low it's a great thing.

But it also shows what a monumentally stupid idea it was to open them full-time in August and down south in January when we didn't have a vaccination programme.

It was the return to school in August that resulted in me getting ill. After the 1st week back.

56 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Michael W said:
We must have opened the nail bars and not told anyone. 

West of Scotland nail bars only then ???

54 minutes ago, PWL said:

Just the staunch ones. 

Can only speak for myself here, but didn't think the '55' manicure would've suited. 

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There have still been no apologies from the "av goat two weans!" mob who were howling for getting the wee man out the house so they could have conference calls in peace, to the extent they kidded on that there were magical shields in school buildings while claiming it was "to save a generation!"

I really wasn’t for going to mine today. My anxiety can be mental at times and after reading the blood clot headlines it really did have me worried. Eventually thought f*ck it and just went. No side effects yet. 

I’m due mine tomorrow and have no concerns but that’s not the case for everybody. Well done for going. It’s the correct decision.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There have still been no apologies from the "av goat two weans!" mob who were howling for getting the wee man out the house so they could have conference calls in peace, to the extent they kidded on that there were magical shields in school buildings while claiming it was "to save a generation!"

You obviously don’t have young kids and jobs to hold down.

idiotic comment....

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’m due mine tomorrow and have no concerns but that’s not the case for everybody. Well done for going. It’s the correct decision.

Cheers, that’s reassuring. I’m glad I went, anxiety is a b*stard but I’ve dealt with it that long that sometimes you just have to say f*ck it and go. 

10 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

Has anyone had the AZ vaccine lately? Does anyone think we’ll cancel it over here? I’m due to get it today but feeling a bit nervous. 

We had ours 5 weeks ago. Step daughter nr 3 had hers a week or a fortnight before that.*

Nr 1 step son has had his too, but not sure what he got.

*Not sure what she got either, tbh

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update