Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That Twitter clown white knighting for Whitty by, err, citing the exact paper that he was using is peak 2021 wet wipe social media. Nobody (sane) is actually claiming that Whitty fabricated the figures from nothing: they're questioning the credibility of that model. With fairly good reason given the protection from infection assumption (somewhere between 30-60 percent, which is both low and absolutely fucking useless for predictive purposes) as just one of a raft of assumptions (for protection from hospitalitisation; for vaccine hesitancy/refusal; no seasonality change assumed)  for what the paper authors themselves note is a "highly uncertain" set of circumstances. 

One thing that is quite clear is that the authors are pushing from one direction only and that the SG has been drinking this particular Kool Aid. The exact phrase "data not dates" is used in the paper at least twice. 

Edited by vikingTON

The backlash in the replies. eMlO2Ay.png&key=00c6f9f73b1b46ef37879e584bc7ea15d4a87850ce6064f3f865f3a69200abcb
What the flying f**k is she doing? It's like she's deliberately pandering to Sridhar and that's it. Mind-boggling.
It's actually a bit like shes forgotten the last couple of weeks where normality finally became the stated goal, elimination was hoofed into touch and we were talking about the roadmap out....

21 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I wasn’t saying you personally want it, but that the sentence I have bolded is just not acceptable. The government should be basing restrictions on hospital & icu numbers (essentially is NHS overwhelmed or capable of operating as it was before Covid), but it seems like from the sentence I’ve bolded you’ve just accepted it as “well that’s not what the government is doing so... oh well”. 

It’s the same as the responses I got when I mentioned writing to my MSP about being unhappy with the government response to certain things, with several posters responding with ‘I’m sure they’ll miss your vote’ or ‘they don’t need you’ type posts. I’m not sure what these people actually want others to do, just sit quietly and accept every government decision without complaint?

I'll see what happens if (when) the data plummets over the summer. 

I'm already going up to my vaccinated dad's, given I'm vaccinated as is my wife, far more frequently than I was previously, although technically he's in my bubble and you could say I'm his only carer. 

It's a forgone conclusion that public adherence will fall away even further as time passes. 

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

That Twitter clown white knighting for Whitty by, err, citing the exact paper that he was using is peak 2021 wet wipe social media. Nobody (sane) is actually claiming that Whitty fabricated the figures from nothing: they're questioning the credibility of that model. With fairly good reason given the protection from infection assumption (somewhere between 30-60 percent, which is both low and absolutely fucking useless for predictive purposes) as just one of a raft of assumptions (for protection from hospitalitisation; for vaccine hesitancy/refusal; no seasonality change assumed)  for what the paper authors themselves note is a "highly uncertain" set of circumstances. 

One thing that is quite clear is that the authors are pushing from one direction only and that the SG has been drinking this particular Kool Aid. The exact phrase "data not dates" is used in the paper at least twice. 

Is that the same models? I thought he was talking about a new set this time with more recent data included. 

Edited by madwullie

The backlash in the replies. eMlO2Ay.png&key=00c6f9f73b1b46ef37879e584bc7ea15d4a87850ce6064f3f865f3a69200abcb
What the flying f**k is she doing? It's like she's deliberately pandering to Sridhar and that's it. Mind-boggling.

They’ve absolutely lost the plot. The levels/tiers are going to be interesting next week.

So, I'm having to teach the same lesson 6 times in a row on Monday. That'll be fun.

On the plus side, I've got a full day 6 out of 15 days, so 9 days that are completely empty with minimal online work to do. My dalliance with watching the A-league and Diagnosis Murder repeats isn't quite over yet.

Edited by Tynierose

Can the people desperate for elimination not just move to Pyongyang and let the rest of us get on with it? Surely she doesn't think anyone is buying it when we would quite literally be the only country in Europe going down this 'route'.

23 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The backlash in the replies. eMlO2Ay.png

It's crazy.

It's like every single time she relents the smallest bit and accepts that we are going to be getting back to normal she can't at all fully commit to it. The mixed messages here surrounding the strategy are appalling.

Her two main advisors both stated in the week of the roadmap that the route out of lockdown was a sensible approach and the way to go. They'd both (very briefly) accepted this as the way forward and then almost as quickly, overcorrected back into their old 'nah, f**k the consensus, this is what WE suggest' groove.

Edited by djchapsticks

So, I'm having to teach the same lesson 6 times in a row on Monday. That'll be fun.
On the plus side, I've got a full day 6 out of 15 days, so 9 days that are completely empty with minimal online work to do. My dalliance with watching the A-league and Diagnosis Murder repeats isn't quite over yet.

I'm in 4 days a week from Monday - 2 x 2.5 hour sessions - split class - maximum of 10 pupils per session.

3 of the days are for my Senior Phase classes and the other I'm doing HWB with S3s on Careers Management.

What I don't get is that Nicola Sturgeon is clearly a very intelligent woman. It doesn't take a genius to see that zero covid in Scotland is a complete no go simply on the basis of us having an open border with England, so I don't understand why she seems so set on it.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

What I don't get is that Nicola Sturgeon is clearly a very intelligent woman. It doesn't take a genius to see that zero covid in Scotland is a complete no go simply on the basis of us having an open border with England, so I don't understand why she seems so set on it.

If she's thinking it's going to be a vote winner because of what happened in New Zealand, she might want to think again on that one.