Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I see someone in the replies saying Chris Whitty expects 30k more deaths. What's the context of that comment? Over what timeframe is he expecting 30k more people to do from covid

The context is that the funsters at Imperial College London (IIRC) have produced yet another shan model, fresh off their roaring success forecasting the previous waves. 

4 hours ago, superbigal said:

Slightly disheartening news on infection rates.  England now has a lower rate per 100K than Scotland.

Also on a "Council" breakdown  Clackmannanshire is now the worst in the UK

My insider (From Dollar) tells me there was a huge "Rangers" party in Alva at the weekend so watch their figures quite closely. he also tells me that Alva has more than 1 "Church" giving out underwhelming message to it's followers.  Again with Churches opening up will be interesting to focus on this area.  Any Alva Church Going Rangers supporting insiders on P&B ?

In the UK charts Falkirk is at 10, Stirling at 12, West Lothian at 15 & Glasgow City at 16.

There are only 23 LAs now with rates above 100 in the UK.

I'm from Alva and always forget we actually have 3 churches :lol:. There's 2 that I don't know anyone who actually goes to them(and given that I've lived in Alva all my life that's a surprise. If they were a front for something else I wouldn't be surprised). The main church(Alva parish), there's not many football supporting people that go there tbh. It's mainly old people going for a chat.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

How was it @alang1993 ?

Was great fun, learnt some interesting songs etc. In all seriousness, I hadn't heard people mentioning parties going on, but it will definitely have happened. Some guy let off fireworks about a minute after full time. Although given the area, it could easily have been gunshots

On 09/03/2021 at 14:39, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:   Another slight rise while the rest of the UK declines !  Clackmannanshire is off limits apart from Bible holding Rangers supporters.  Only Falkirk of the top 5 showing any sign of declines.

Very little  movement apart from the crossover in Dunbartonshire.  No new Cigars today.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan,    Cases that day were 16,496 and test rate was 11.9%

Total Cases 7 days from 1st March to 7th March were  3,476 now 3,485 now up 0.03%. Positivity was 3.2% and still 3.2%  Cases per 100k were 63.6 now 63.8

Home Nations Daily update: England  66.0 to 62.8 down 4.85% .  Wales 46.1 to 45.2 down 1.95%  , Northern Ireland 69.7 to 65.9 down 5.45%    UK Average  65.1 to 62.2 down 4.46%

NHS Progress  Forth Valley 129.8, Lanarkshire 94.6, Greater Glasgow 85.9  the rest all under Scottish average.

European (Above 2 Million Population) Shockers: Czech 797, Serbia 385, Hungary 366, Slovakia 272, Sweden 268.

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

The Bad boys club Over 100 Cartel

Clackmannanshire 145.5 to 166.9    Up 14.71% FFS Get a grip Clackmannan, Kennet & Forestmill at 789.7

Stirling 122.1 to 125.3   Braehead at 604.1

Falkirk 125.6 to 120.6  Down near 4%    

Glasgow City 113.2  to 113.6 

North Lanarkshire  107.8 to 110.1  

Under 100 Club 

West Lothian   104.9 to 99.4 

East Renfrewshire  93.2 to 98.4  Poor 24 hours  

North Ayrshire 86.1 to 86.8 

South Lanarkshire  78.6 to 78.0

Dundee City  67.0 to 67.0

Renfrewshire  65.9 to 64.2 

Under Scottish Average club 63.8

Western Isles  71.1 to 63.6

East Ayrshire  55.7 to 59.0    

Midlothian   60.6 to 54.1 Very good 10% drop

Angus 49.1 to 52.5  hamlets back in the packet

East Lothian  55.1 to 50.4  Very nice 8.5% drop

Hamlet & a Beer club Sub 50.0

Fife   42.6 to 44.2

Perth & Kinross  38.2 to 40.8

Highlands 36.5 to 40.7    

City Of Edinburgh 42.1 to 40.4 

East Dunbartonshire 39.6 to 37.7

Aberdeen City  32.8 to 32.8     

West Dunbartonshire  40.5 to 32.6  Astonishing run past it's neighbour down another 19.50%

Moray 33.4 to 31.3

South Ayrshire 19.5 to 30.2   Back on the cheap fags gents  

Havana & Malt Whisky club Sub 30.0

Aberdeenshire  22.6 to 23.0

Scottish  Borders 22.5 to 20.8     

Inverclyde  21.9 to 20.6  

Dumfries & Galloway 14.8 to 15.5    

Argyll & Bute 10.5 to 9.3  

Shetland Islands 4.4 to 4.4

Orkney Island  0.0 to 0.0 

Edited by superbigal

Just now, virginton said:

The context is that the funsters at Imperial College London (IIRC) have produced yet another shan model, fresh off their roaring success forecasting the previous waves. 

Wasnt sure if it was Whittys opinion or if he was just quoting one of these models. 

Quite where we are going to produce an additional 30,000 deaths from given the current trajectory I'm fucked if I can understand, given that thankfully the cigar aficionado vaccines are handing even the most breathtaking government incompetence the drubbing of a lifetime. 

36 minutes ago, PWL said:

Here's exact quote by Dr Smith from BBC website. Doesn't seem to unreasonable to me.  Key point remains getting jags in arms so that infection rates, while still important, don't have the devastating impact of Jan. 

Screenshot_20210310-135352.thumb.png.0e465e5ad45da2e87500640a9e0bd858.png

Nice cans, that's all I have to add.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wasnt sure if it was Whittys opinion or if he was just quoting one of these models. 

Quite where we are going to produce an additional 30,000 deaths from given the current trajectory I'm fucked if I can understand, given that thankfully the cigar aficionado vaccines are handing even the most breathtaking government incompetence the drubbing of a lifetime. 

I think he was speculating that if the restrictions were lifted in one go with a large part of the population yet to be vaccinated then it was conceivable that the 'younger' age groups could be impacted and lead to those figures. I don't think he said it would happen but that the projections is why they want gradual easing alongside increased vaccination of folks.

There will be 30,000 deaths from flu going forward in the U.K. What’s crucial is what the time course of that is. 6 months, 2 years , 10 years. Given we are going to have to live with Covid in the same way as we live with flu it’s a safe bet there will be more deaths. That doesn’t mean we need to hide away for ever as a society.

Also on Gregor Smith's 'contribution', if the big scary new virus variant was up to 70% more transmissible than the one last year, then the lighter lockdown measures since December 26 could simply not have reduced cases in the same way as the tighter lockdown from the spring of 2020. But it has, so it is clearly not that much more transmissible. 

Doing less lockdown and getting similar results means that the big scary mutant chat was utter bollocks all along and can be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s the norm and everyone is still in touch and speaking regularly, but calls and messages are a poor substitute for how it normally would be. 

True enough.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Bear in mind it's deaths within 28 days of a positive test so there is lots of scope for people testing positive in hospital/social care then kicking the bucket later of other causes. 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Bear in mind it's deaths within 28 days of a positive test so there is lots of scope for people testing positive in hospital/social care then kicking the bucket later of other causes. 

they've just managed to convince @Sweet Pete to eat with his mouth closed.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I see someone in the replies saying Chris Whitty expects 30k more deaths. What's the context of that comment? Over what timeframe is he expecting 30k more people to do from covid

Latest model. 

They really need to make these entire models available to the public (are they?) with all assumptions cleary stated and best case and worst case scenarios etc. This needs examined really closely by anyone that wants to. 

It's going to be an impossible sell for either govt to keep restrictions in place in the face of flatlining hospitalisations and deaths. And rightly so

Edited by madwullie

Just now, stuart87 said:

Covid in Scotland: Sturgeon objective 'to eliminate' virus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56347695

What does get case numbers as low as possible mean with actual numbers?
What does this mean if there are very few people in hospital?

Would be great if anyone can help with these questions.

A lot going on in that article.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland's objective must be "to eliminate" coronavirus.

Elimination - the complete removal or destruction of something.

A few lines later...

Chief Medical Officer Dr Gregor Smith said he did not believe coronavirus could be "eradicated"

Eradication - the complete destruction of something.