Coronavirus (COVID-19)

50 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

WTF are the currants gathering outside Ibrox for today when absolutely nothing can be confirmed no matter the result this afternoon. Odd how a "rave" in a field gets the full riot police dispersal yet a large crowd of mutants outside Ibrox is in effect legitimized by the lack of action to disperse it.

BLM protest.

58 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I mean I'm only seeing the headline and lede of the article in the Times, but those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. 

It can be "very unlikely" (note, not definitely won't happen) that variants pose a problem because over time we will tweak vaccines to deal with them, and the biggest risk (note not certain to happen) can be variants being imported all at the same time. 

Crazy stuff I know. 

So we can safely fire the mewling about variants, as they could materialise at any time, along with there being no such thing as zero risk, into the bin where they belong. A bit like social distancing and travel restrictions come summer. 4U0m6pP.png

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I mean I'm only seeing the headline and lede of the article in the Times, but those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. 

It can be "very unlikely" (note, not definitely won't happen) that variants pose a problem because over time we will tweak vaccines to deal with them, and the biggest risk (note not certain to happen) can be variants being imported all at the same time. 

Crazy stuff I know. 

You’re right. It’s also worth noting that the second part of that statement needs quantified, as whilst it could be the biggest risk available, the level of that risk could be (and is) so incredibly low that it’s not hugely worthwhile to be actively discussing it.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

So we can safely fire the mewling about variants, as they could materialise at any time, along with there being no such thing as zero risk, into the bin where they belong. A bit like social distancing and travel restrictions come summer. 4U0m6pP.png

He's not going to shag you mate. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

To be fair to NS here, given the direction of the recent chatter about the UK "getting back to normal" in the summer, this does not automatically include international travel.

That said NS is going to continue to use that line to show how much more committed she is to keeping us all safe until such time as BJ opens the UK border for tourism.

As others have said the idea of a 'closed' border around Scotland whilst the border around England is open is fantasyland stuff. The UK Gov told NS to bolt when she asked them to put everyone arriving from abroad who was travelling to Scotland into hotels so they certainly aren't going to worry about going to the trouble of recording details of arrivals that are coming here to ensure they quarantine at home if she tries going down that route. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, but most places in Europe will be welcoming us with open arms come summer. It would be so pointless and damaging to the Scottish economy if say, they try to keep airports up here closed to 'prevent the importation of cAsEs AnD vArIaNtz', while being unable to do anything preventing Scots from flying from Newcastle or Manchester instead.

Now, I've always said it is surely inconceivable they could enable such a scenario, but it is what their rhetoric has mooted, at least previously. Doing this also prevents airlines and businesses from planning for reopening in advance.

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

The total for Test and Trace has went up to £37 billion.  For some comparison that is equivalent to the entire annual GDP of Bulgaria. 

Very strange indeed.

Or 15 Mars rovers. 

People should be getting jailed on the back of this, absurd robbery on the public purse.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

An amazing amount to spend on something with would appear to have made absolutely no difference.

I'm sure it has made a difference to Dildo Harding and her Tory donor husband. Their cocaine habit must be through the roof.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Would any of the Scottish Government simps on here like to have a go at squaring why Sturgeon is pathologically lying and/or being disingenuous with damaging/scaremongering statements like this:

It may have something to do with what happened in the summer when foreign holidays were found to be the main driver in Scotland's Coronavirus resurgence after almost eliminating it, and very little to do with anyone lying or scaremongering?

Covid in Scotland: Second wave reignited by summer holidays

26 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Still haven’t once been asked what I was doing on foot or in the car. Almost a year now, not that I’m complaining obviously I’m glad but this is a kiddy on lockdown

It staggers me that anyone who has lived through the last year can call this a 'kiddy on lockdown'. The obsession so many people in this country have with measures having to be agressively enforced by the police for them to count is really weird and concerning.

If you were regularly stopping folk just for being outside you would barely catch any actual rule breakers because the vast majority of people who are out and about are either following the rules or can very easily pretend they are in a way you can't disprove (eg. exercise, dropping food off for a relative) so it wouldn't achieve its purpose. And by policing the idea of being outside as something you shouldn't really be doing and need an excuse for you would actively discourage people from going out to exercise. We know at this stage that outdoor transmission is pretty negligible. Its a spectacular failure of messaging that so many people seem to be unaware of this and think that the right to be outside doing something that poses barely any risk should be more strictly policed. Its security theatre, not effective public health policy.

So much of the public response to coronavirus in this country seems to have been based on the idea that the more we suffer, the worse things are, the better we are responding. It ties into the whole blitz spirit thing we seem to have a national obsession with. I can understand a pretty much blanket 'don't  do anything' at the start whilst we worked things out but one of the first priorities should have been identifying things we could do which don't have a high risk of transmission and communicating this to the public. Instead we've created a culture where leaving the house for any reason is viewed with suspicion, we have regular front page moral panics about people sitting distanced from each other in parks and folk think that we aren't taking it seriously because the police aren't out checking that you're behaving yourself when you go for a walk.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ah yes. Because spending £37b and still managing to rack up the 5th highest total number of cases and total deaths in the world (despite having the 21st highest population) was a rip-roaring success.

At least it helped keep outbreaks contained though and avoided a further two lockdowns...

"Absolutely no difference" was the phrase used. It's entirely reasonable to say that it was hugely expensive due to corruption, run incompentently and not as effective as it should have been, but that doesn't mean it made no difference at all.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

The longer this nonsense goes on the more not having fans at sport becomes normalised.

Why yes.

There's a real danger that when this really is completely and utterly all over, they'll simply forget to let fans in.

3 minutes ago, s_dog said:

It may have something to do with what happened in the summer when foreign holidays were found to be the main driver in Scotland's Coronavirus resurgence after almost eliminating it, and very little to do with anyone lying or scaremongering?

Covid in Scotland: Second wave reignited by summer holidays

Oh dear. You mean this utter babbling drivel which has subsequently been laughed away by one of her senior scientific advisers - an actual epidemiologist, not a dentist or nutritionist - for the misleading nonsense it is, with Clownshoes Leitch also recently being pulled up for lying at the daily briefings.

Good, though unsurprising, to see it had you fooled.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

"Absolutely no difference" was the phrase used. It's entirely reasonable to say that it was hugely expensive due to corruption, run incompentently and not as effective as it should have been, but that doesn't mean it made no difference at all.

Semantics. It completely failed.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Oh dear. You mean this utter babbling drivel which has subsequently been laughed away by one of her senior scientific advisers - an actual epidemiologist, not a dentist or nutritionist - for the misleading nonsense it is, with Clownshoes Leitch also recently being pulled up for lying at the daily briefings.

Good, though unsurprising, to see it had you fooled.

The report came from SAGE/Covid Genomics UK and its more about the impact that European holidays had in the resurgence of Coronavirus in Scotland during the summer.

The almost eliminating relates to the genomic testing showing that there was very little of the original strains of the virus from the first wave, most was from Europe/England. Which is completely unrelated to the stuff Prof Mark Woolhouse was claiming about modelling showing there was never less than 500 cases so therefore not close to elimination.

No surprise that you just take the simple & wrong route to get to the answer you want though. 

24 minutes ago, s_dog said:

The report came from SAGE/Covid Genomics UK and its more about the impact that European holidays had in the resurgence of Coronavirus in Scotland during the summer.

The almost eliminating relates to the genomic testing showing that there was very little of the original strains of the virus from the first wave, most was from Europe/England. Which is completely unrelated to the stuff Prof Mark Woolhouse was claiming about modelling showing there was never less than 500 cases so therefore not close to elimination.

No surprise that you just take the simple & wrong route to get to the answer you want though. 

Given the now domimant strain originated in England, you must surely see the fallacy in proclaiming that banning foreign travel is the big lesson to learn from summer 2020.

Blanket border closures / travel bans are not the way forward. An extensive roll out of the incredibly effective vaccine is.

Edited by Todd_is_God