Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Don't forget the media darling Devi.  Who, to be fair, is a doctor.  Of philosophy.  

Some pair.  We're basing a pandemic response on the advice of a dentist who's getting his info from god and a doctor of philosophy who believes in making your own sunshine.

It's actually quite frightening.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Given vast tracts of Scotland are already at or below that level (and several very close), with cases trending down already, with eight weeks of restrictions until we get to that point and the likelihood that 3.5m plus adults in Scotland will have had at least a first dose by then, I'd be astounded if many - if any - local authority areas are much above 50 cases per 100,000 people by the end of April when this actually becomes an issue.

The whole point is that the vaccine prevents infection and onwards transmission in and by the overwhelming majority of people who take it. By the end of April the overwhelming majority of people will have had at least a first dose. There obviously needs to be *some* kind of measure by which it is decided how things move up and down - though cases probably isn't particularly meaningful by the time the vaccine rollout has got to that stage. However, if cases are much over 50 per 100,000 somewhere by the time most people who are actually going to get sick have had the vaccine then it suggests there's a problem in that particular area either with uptake or something else.

We'll see how the vaccine stats look this week but from all the noises being made it seems to me like virtually everyone who wants one could comfortably have had their first dose by the end of May, never mind the end of July, even with the second dose programme ramping up.

I take your point, but if the NHS is not being overwhelmed then when it comes to easing of restrictions it ultimately doesn't matter if it's 2 cases per 100,000 or 2,000 cases per 100,000.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Some pair.  We're basing a pandemic response on the advice of a dentist who's getting his info from god and a doctor of philosophy who believes in making your own sunshine.

Aka The Guys

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I will assume the verdict has no direct bearing up here, but I wonder if the SG will avoid such petty restrictions this time round.

I would hope it would at least make them think twice about imposing similar restrictions.

48 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Don't forget the media darling Devi.  Who, to be fair, is a doctor.  Of philosophy.  

So are vast tracts of people who work in biological science, epidemiology and public health (or indeed any field of science)

Edited by renton

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see the legal challenge down South from the hospitality industry was successful in demonstrating that the industry specific restrictions were discriminatory.

No more requirements to order food with alcohol, and no more curfews, unless the Government can provide proof these are beneficial (i.e. "drunk people can't social distance" isn't enough).

I will assume the verdict has no direct bearing up here, but I wonder if the SG will avoid such petty restrictions this time round.

Got a link to this?

15 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We'll see how the vaccine stats look this week but from all the noises being made it seems to me like virtually everyone who wants one could comfortably have had their first dose by the end of May, never mind the end of July, even with the second dose programme ramping up.

If we get back to a steady 30k first jag on a daily basis, then all adults will be done by end of May/early June. We should also probably have all 1-4's done twice before then as well.

I would hope it would at least make them think twice about imposing similar restrictions.
The govt up here has taken the tone of using restrictions as some sort of nationwide naughty step already, and we have seen (didnt you write to the greens over this btw, did you ever get a reply?) Ross Greer showing utter contempt towards football fans as it pertains to restrictions, so I'd have little faith in this summer being different in terms of that sort of tone.

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I take your point, but if the NHS is not being overwhelmed then when it comes to easing of restrictions it ultimately doesn't matter if it's 2 cases per 100,000 or 2,000 cases per 100,000.

Absolutely agree with that which is why it’s unlikely case numbers alone will be a measure. If deaths are at virtually zero, hospitals are empty and the only positives are asymptomatic coming up in routine testing then that’s a waste of time. If you have an outbreak that is putting pressure on the NHS in a local area that’s another matter. But it shouldn’t be an issue at that stage.

That's the Johnston and Johnston vaccine on its way out in America, first doses may be in arms tomorrow according to CNN. Great stuff, hopefully won't be long until they are across the Atlantic.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Absolutely agree with that which is why it’s unlikely case numbers alone will be a measure. If deaths are at virtually zero, hospitals are empty and the only positives are asymptomatic coming up in routine testing then that’s a waste of time. If you have an outbreak that is putting pressure on the NHS in a local area that’s another matter. But it shouldn’t be an issue at that stage.

Yeah, they weren't the be all and end all of the measure in the original tier system either. I hope though that they are a lower weighting in the calculations this time.

57 minutes ago, super_carson said:

54 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They'll roll out the fucking doctor of Thuganomics for his opinion next - 

image.jpeg.ec8f3cc362c7448d3b6db9a17f93245e.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'd have mentioned her, but I couldn't be arsed looking up what her field was. 

Philosophy though. f**k me 😂

21 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Jesus wept. 

You don't exactly need a PhD to know that the "Ph" doesn't literally mean "Philosophy". 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Yeah, they weren't the be all and end all of the measure in the original tier system either. I hope though that they are a lower weighting in the calculations this time.

the way the system worked last time seemed to be look at all the indicators for an area and pick the worst one to base the level on.

He implied that footballers breaking rules should mean fans locked out of stadiums.

If he’s the one I’m thinking of, Ross Greer gives off a very heavy vibe of being in politics to spite the people who were mean to him at school. This proposal makes sense when viewed through this prism.

It’s worth saying that this isn’t about him being a Green - the ‘I hate daddy’ pattern is present across political parties. It can be a positive thing as well although it’s more often negative.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If he’s the one I’m thinking of, Ross Greer gives off a very heavy vibe of being in politics to spite the people who were mean to him at school. This proposal makes sense when viewed through this prism.

It’s worth saying that this isn’t about him being a Green - the ‘I hate daddy’ pattern is present across political parties. It can be a positive thing as well although it’s more often negative.

Agreed - see also Gove, Michael.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

the way the system worked last time seemed to be look at all the indicators for an area and pick the worst one to base the level on.

Fact is, by end of April there will be hee haw in terms of hospitalisations and deaths, and with 50% of the population or more having had one dose (and assuming a two thirds reduction in transmission), and with maybe 8-15% with natural antibodies it should be pretty easy to keep case loads very low regardless of ScotGov levels.