Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Mutations are obviously more likely to arise outside the UK than inside and as we have seen recently in the UK and New Zealand quarantining doesn't work 100% even with massively reduced levels of international travel. 

Undermining the vaccine so people can get some guaranteed warm weather is madness. 

Yet here we have a variant from the UK on its way to becoming what scientist predict to be the most dominant variant of the virus the ‘kent’ strain. 
Undermining people’s freedom to travel in the perverse hope that somehow that will stop a virus which mutates, from mutating isnt even remotely reasonable given vaccines and treatments have been shown to work. We’d never ever open up again if #variants types had their way. 
Its not just ‘some warm weather’, its human nature to explore and be happy, if its safe to travel then we absolutely should. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yet here we have a variant from the UK on its way to becoming what scientist predict to be the most dominant variant of the virus the ‘kent’ strain. 
Undermining people’s freedom to travel in the perverse hope that somehow that will stop a virus which mutates, from mutating isnt even remotely reasonable given vaccines and treatments have been shown to work. We’d never ever open up again if #variants types had their way. 
Its not just ‘some warm weather’, its human nature to explore and be happy, if its safe to travel then we absolutely should. 

Precisely this. There is no logical reason for preventing people travelling between highly vaccinated / low viral prevelance countries, especially if said people are vaccinated themselves.

The hypothetical foreign variant fear will subside exponentially each time the vaccine stubs its Cohiba out in a new variant's eye.

26 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There is NO WAY that populist Tory mob will go down that route, BJ has forced himself in to a corner on this one and I'm afraid if he backtracks then the Tories are finished and he knows that.

If presiding over the deaths of over 100k people and all the associated shambles didn't finish the Tories then I'm not sure if anything will. They will get in again at the next election regardless of what happens over the next few months. 

I dare say you're right that employers don't have a direct say, but property has been one of the most reliable investments for goodness knows how long. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say it will make up a fair whack of most pension portfolios.
I'd also argue that the vast majority of folk have no idea what their pension is invested in, let alone taking an active part in choosing.
Maybe it's time some folks were reminded that the value of investments can go down as well as up?

Plenty of opportunity for investment out there - may require a bit more thought than just lumping in on bricks and mortar, but that wouldn't be a bad thing imho.
Anyone who finds their pension is skewed heavily towards property has, again imho, a good case for a negligence claim against the fund manager. Diversity is the watchword for pensions.

Totally impossible to do outwith a city centre too. 
Not forgetting all the"life admin" which you couldn't possibly do on your own computer, at home, while you enjoy a coffee from your new bean-cup machine which you bought with the savings made by not buying overpriced crap from the parasite shops clustering round the arse end of your office block, and not being crammed in a metal box for an hour there and back every fucking day.

Aye. There are consequences to spending 12-18 months telling people they could either die themselves or have blood on their hands by getting within 2 metres of someone.

I thought that too, i wonder if it will be even worse in countries that have forced mask wearing outdoors, no exercise during lockdowns and all that shit.

The stay at home order is getting a bit farcical when you look at those numbers. Especially when there is glorious beer garden weather outside at the moment.
It's getting a bit farcical when you look at the roads and those retail parks where the shops have slunk under the "essential" bar.

20 minutes ago, EH75 said:

If presiding over the deaths of over 100k people and all the associated shambles didn't finish the Tories then I'm not sure if anything will. They will get in again at the next election regardless of what happens over the next few months. 

Deaths are one thing, stopping joe public going on holidays after "promising" is quite another.

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Japan asks China to stop anal swab tests on Japanese citizens.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-china-japan/tokyo-asks-china-to-stop-anal-swab-tests-for-covid-19-on-japanese-citizens-idUSL3N2KZ2LI

Imagine the reaction if this became a thing here?

If we have to stop anal swapping Japanese folk we riot 

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Japan asks China to stop anal swab tests on Japanese citizens.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-china-japan/tokyo-asks-china-to-stop-anal-swab-tests-for-covid-19-on-japanese-citizens-idUSL3N2KZ2LI

Imagine the reaction if this became a thing here?

Has anyone on here ever had to have an anal swab for an infectious virus.

If so was it taken on your doorstep or through the open window of your car?

I wonder if, following the success of getting western countries to copy their lockdown model, the Chinese are having a laugh with this and trying to see if they can hook any gullible foreign scientists / governments into copying this method too.