Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

""I think now people are really missing that opportunity to collaborate with and just see their friends in the office, to get your hair cut, to go and get a good coffee at lunchtime, and to do all the life admin things you can do in a city centre."

I can think of nothing worse than getting my haircut on my lunch, then spending the next three hours or so having to deal with the never-ending stream of wee hairs tickling my back and neck. 

And a constant itchy face.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

My tired eyes didnt actually clock that so fair play.

Genuinely, an "article" so transparent it really should have a "sponsored" disclaimer. Wonder who got paid to run that shite.

It's the gall to claim that folk are missing the daily city centre grind and getting out for a haircut or coffee at their breaks.

I mean, I'm sure most folk would forego a fucking Starbucks if it meant having to avoid catching 3 or 4 subway trains to and from work in a mad 90 minute each way dash across the city every day at a personal cost of thousands of quid a year.

I'm lucky in that my own office is a 15 minute drive from my house but I certainly don't want to be going back to it any more than 2 days a week, simply because I don't need to. I can work with 100% efficiency from my own home and really only should be needed in future for meeting purposes (which I don't have many of).

These people don't actually live in the real world. The benefits of WFH outweigh the office 10 fold.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

""I think now people are really missing that opportunity to collaborate with and just see their friends in the office, to get your hair cut, to go and get a good coffee at lunchtime, and to do all the life admin things you can do in a city centre."

I can think of nothing worse than getting my haircut on my lunch, then spending the next three hours or so having to deal with the never-ending stream of wee hairs tickling my back and neck. 

The trick is to go to one of the barber-shops that wash your hair after cutting it. Slightly pricier but saves having to go at the weekend.

The only sustained benefit of working in an office is that training new folk is 10x harder remotely than it is in a face to face situation.

I'd be happy going into work for 2 or 3 weeks to provide 1 to 1 training for new starts rather than doing so on teams but apart from that? Nahhhhhh.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's the gall to claim that folk are missing the daily city centre grind and getting out for a haircut or coffee at their breaks.

I mean, I'm sure most folk would forego a fucking Starbucks if it meant having to avoid catching 3 or 4 subway trains to and from work in a mad 90 minute each way dash across the city every day at a personal cost of thousands of quid a year.

I'm lucky in that my own office is a 15 minute drive from my house but I certainly don't want to be going back to it any more than 2 days a week, simply because I don't need to. I can work with 100% efficiency from my own home and really only should be needed in future for meeting purposes (which I don't have many of).

These people don't actually live in the real world. The benefits of WFH outweigh the office 10 fold.

People that work in the financial districts in London don't go for coffees at lunchtime.  Pints of lager more likely.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Re the recent discussion about working from home, heres a flavour of what those who wish to continue it will be up against... The BBC giving someone with a clear vested interest a platform to speak on behalf of the public emoji848.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56237586

Right, you fucking proles, this is costing me a fucking fortune, time to get back to where we can keep an eye on you.

My work are redoing 200 peoples contracts to something like 80% hone working. There's a few reasons for this but namely they need the space for other things. I have to be present at work so it won't effect me too much but the genies out the bottle now so far as this needing to drag your arse to an office every working day. 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

They do realise its just that wfh exposes lots of unnecessary stuff.

They have a financial interest in making people join the rat race.

Buy coffee, haircut, trains, pints, meals, sandwiches. Have a bunch of gimps manage people by harassing them.

4 minutes ago, Knight55WoodBear said:

Right, you fucking proles, this is costing me a fucking fortune, time to get back to where we can keep an eye on you.

Not to mention that in the article it effectively undermines his entire stance in one sentence.

Lloyds Banking Group is set to reduce its office space by 20% over two years after a staff survey found that nearly 80% wanted to work at home for at least three days a week.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Buy coffee, haircut, trains, pints, meals, sandwiches. Have a bunch of gimps manage people by harassing them.

You are right about most of this but you need to get over your personal hang ups about anyone who is 'management'.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Employers also have in many cases a huge financial incentive to bin off expensive office space. Shareholders and the board alike must be seeing the pound signs. 

Trains and the rest of it are incidental to them. 

Just now, Michael W said:

Employers also have in many cases a huge financial incentive to bin off expensive office space. Shareholders and the board alike must be seeing the pound signs. 

Trains and the rest of it are incidental to them. 

I had a quick look at the canary wharf group accounts.

They have over £3.5 billion in investments that will be almost completely reliant on office occupancy. The fact they've asked this guy's opinion on what people want is absolutely laughable.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I had a quick look at the canary wharf group accounts.

They have over £3.5 billion in investments that will be almost completely reliant on office occupancy. The fact they've asked this guy's opinion on what people want is absolutely laughable.

Canary wharf was a total white elephant for the first few years of it's existence.  Could be going back to that.