Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Paco said:

A slight gap opening up between England and the other nations in terms of first vaccine doses administered over the past few days. Hopefully a sign that supply issues are over with, I suspect the doses will land in England and be sent out to local authorities, while there’ll be an extra step to go to NHS Scotland/Wales/NI.

England now has the highest percentage of first doses given out in the UK, but the lowest amount of second doses. Not for me to say whether it’s all a PR exercise, Jeff.
IMG_0282.jpg
Willie Rennie to be greeting in Parliament again, NAP.

Apart from Wales there's not a lot of difference in the second dose %.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Also the volume of people I know that have had one person in a house test positive and everyone else test negative suggests to me that household mixing isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be. 

I’d put this down to one or all of three things: 

1. You don’t know many people.

2. You know a lot of people who live alone.

3. Pot luck.

It's supposed to be a three month gap between the two doses, meaning that by rights there shouldn't be a single person with a second dose yet (as the programme launched on 8th December - less than three months ago)

The only people who should have second doses now are people who got vaccinated very early on, and thus managed to fit in a second dose in December before the policy was changed, or certain healthcare workers who are offered a second dose if there is spare supply lying around.

Thoroughly looking forward to my full English and pints of Carling in Benidorm in August. 

Not forgetting shouting FISH AND CHIPS at the poor waiter, after he fails to translate Scouse to Spanish at the second attempt.

Don’t want to end up with yon foreign muck.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

It's supposed to be a three month gap between the two doses, meaning that by rights there shouldn't be a single person with a second dose yet (as the programme launched on 8th December - less than three months ago)

The only people who should have second doses now are people who got vaccinated very early on, and thus managed to fit in a second dose in December before the policy was changed, or certain healthcare workers who are offered a second dose if there is spare supply lying around.

Isn't it a maximum of three months rather than a minimum gap?

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

386 new cases (4.5 percent), 824 in hospital (-13), 71 in ICU (-7) and no new deaths.

That's a really positive drop in ICU cases.

I’m actually starting to worry about these vaccines.

It can’t be good for them chain-smoking fat Cohibas 24/7.

Aye.

I know quite a few folk who work in Wishaw Gen who have had their 2nd doses in the last couple of weeks and others in the QEUH who are due this week, they got their first doses in early to mid January.

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

Not forgetting shouting FISH AND CHIPS at the poor waiter, after he fails to translate Scouse to Spanish at the second attempt.

Don’t want to end up with yon foreign muck.

If you do end up with the foreign muck you are well within your rights to start launching plastic chairs at waiters though.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Re the recent discussion about working from home, heres a flavour of what those who wish to continue it will be up against... The BBC giving someone with a clear vested interest a platform to speak on behalf of the public emoji848.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56237586

'Howard Dawber' indeed.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

TBF, my MiL had it bad: icu, ventilator, the works (fine now). She lives in a small ex-council 2 bed with a pretty cramped living room and kitchen, shares a bed with my FiL etc and he had zero symptoms. They have barely left the house apart from walks/going for a shop and are in each other's company all day (apart from shit breaks I presume/hope).

I suppose he could have been asymptomatic, but we did find it weird at the time. 

Anecdotal obv. 

Good that she's allright.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

17 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Well yeah, but the first dose provides the vast majority of the protection (second dose gives longevity) so every second dose that goes into an arm now is depriving someone of a far more necessary first dose.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Re the recent discussion about working from home, heres a flavour of what those who wish to continue it will be up against... The BBC giving someone with a clear vested interest a platform to speak on behalf of the public emoji848.png

:lol:

Nothing like asking someone who's business literally relies on office occupancy for an objective view on home working. The man of the people speaking on behalf of the working public.

Don’t know if I’m reading too much into this but the local football pitches have just been freshly marked out. Is it possible that the SG is quietly accelerating the ending of the lockdown or is it that the sports restrictions only may be getting lifted ?

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

""I think now people are really missing that opportunity to collaborate with and just see their friends in the office, to get your hair cut, to go and get a good coffee at lunchtime, and to do all the life admin things you can do in a city centre."

I can think of nothing worse than getting my haircut on my lunch, then spending the next three hours or so having to deal with the never-ending stream of wee hairs tickling my back and neck. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Some people may have been to or seen everything they want to experience in the UK.  I travel the UK a lot but mainly for events like gigs or sport.  Can't remember the last time I went anywhere in the UK just for the sake of going to see that place.  I'm sure there are some great places in the UK I haven't seen but there are none on my list of places I want to go to.  European cities is a different matter.  Still plenty of them I want to get to.

Should have joined the Wehrmacht