Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm lucky enough stay in the only part of the UK worth visiting. f**k going on holiday to any other part of this shitty island.

Holidays in Strathclyde are well sought after on here, I'll have you know.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What's your point caller

Old and sick people die all the time. COVID-19 was not taking out vast numbers of young and healthy people like H1N1 influenza did in 1918, so what we have experienced is nothing particularly drastic as pandemics go and we now have vaccines available that are pretty much ending it as a serious health problem. Please try to get your hysteria under control

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If there's a local football team I'll go to that as well. I usually go longer than a week though.

Always a factor when going abroad for me. Seen some interesting games in Tenerife, Pisa, Agadir, and Faro, among others - none of which Mrs WRK saw coming at time of booking. We've had the usual overt trips to Barcelona, Milan, Leeds and the like as well..

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

386 new cases (4.5 percent), 824 in hospital (-13), 71 in ICU (-7) and no new deaths.

That's a really positive drop in ICU cases.

The case drop over the last week is quite dramatic considering the plateau in the mid 800s that we seemed stuck on for a bit before that.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

The case drop over the last week is quite dramatic considering the plateau in the mid 800s that we seemed stuck on for a bit before that.

I wonder if that's the impact of the vaccine fully kicking in on transmission, or just the impact that being in lockdown for this period of time is having.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I wonder if that's the impact of the vaccine fully kicking in on transmission, or just the impact that being in lockdown for this period of time is having.

Surely if it was the latter then we wouldn't have seen a plateau? If nothing has changed in terms of restrictions, then the only variable is the vaccination programme I'd have though.  I know it's not quite as simple as that, but if anything people are following restrictions less as this goes on (anecdotal evidence only, mind) so the vaccine must be having a big effect.

3d419657e0e64a0b210d50af2ffb8aeb.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

386 new cases (4.5 percent), 824 in hospital (-13), 71 in ICU (-7) and no new deaths.

That's a really positive drop in ICU cases.

I reckon the vaccines are working.  That's just my hunch at this stage.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

D.A.F.C has has an absolute nightmare of a morning.

I hope his afternoon is better.

And enjoys his night.

It's the new "Homer Simpson" variant. Apparently it's just really lazy and can't be arsed infecting as many people.

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Holidays in Strathclyde are well sought after on here, I'll have you know.

Old chinese preverb say - "A pound spent in Croydon is of far more value to the country than a pound spent in Strathclyde,"

Sorry, my mistake, thats not a chinese proverb it's only our dickhead of a Prime Minister saying it a few years ago.

49 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You do know deaths happened every day pre March 2020 lockdown? 1400 on average in the UK per day before then 

Have you heard of the concept of excess deaths? 

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I reckon the vaccines are working.  That's just my hunch at this stage.

Looks like a good bet. We're probably seeing the effect of the ramp up in vaccinations in mid/late January. The age profiles are important as well. I'd imagine that folk in their 60s and 70s being more active than folk in their 80s and 90s means vaccinating them will lead to bigger drops in transmission.