Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:
I'd be willing to bet that come June/July, things will be a lot closer to normal here than they are in New Zealand and Australia...

Not sure about that, it's pretty much normal in Australia already, and they forecast completing their vaccination programme by October at which point they'll look at opening borders.

Even if their vaccination program goes to schedule, they will still have to reach very high coverage across the population, indeed higher than places like Europe or North America which will have a lot of overlapping immunity via natural infection. Any community transmission which leaks through in autumn and winter before this is achieved is likely to lead to more prolonged shutdowns.

Get them fired straight into Covax where they will be widely welcomed as clearly continental Europeans largely want nothing to do with it. What an absolute shambles has been worked on this by Macron, Merkel, and others.

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Ready for Leitch bingo:

Variants with a mention for the new scary California and New York variants. 

Near elimination

Australia and New Zealand

Saying it is very doubtful someone will be able to go to a bit and Ben in May. 

Need to wait to see the effect of the vaccine on transmission

New normal/Near normality

I've to go to the Louisa Jordan next week, anyone know what the deal is with car parking?
Park in the multi storey nearby, you'll be directed to what level you've to park on (level 2 is probably the easiest as that's where the walkway is). There's no charge at the minute, all the barriers are permanently raised. There was plenty of space when I was there earlier this month.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There's yer PM getting geared up to send 30m folk back to the office in June when 20m of them could easily do their job from home.

Yeah but if they work from home Pret A Manger could go under and I don't realistically know how we'd all cope tbh 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

There's yer PM getting geared up to send 30m folk back to the office in June when 20m of them could easily do their job from home.
It will continue to surprise me when I see folk who have WFH through this being surprised at finding out that their employers dont actually trust them and wont allow it longer than neccessary.

Millions of people all over the country with their heads in the clouds on this issue.

Fair play to the ones who dont have total arseholes for employers, they might get what they want. It probably wont be a majority though.

It will continue to surprise me when I see folk who have WFH through this being surprised at finding out that their employers dont actually trust them and wont allow it longer than neccessary.

Millions of people all over the country with their heads in the clouds on this issue.

Fair play to the ones who dont have total arseholes for employers, they might get what they want. It probably wont be a majority though.

Purely anecdotal evidence here but at my workplace the majority of staff don’t like working from home & certainly don’t want to do it 5 days a week permanently, most would accept blended tho

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Even if their vaccination program goes to schedule, they will still have to reach very high coverage across the population, indeed higher than places like Europe or North America which will have a lot of overlapping immunity via natural infection. Any community transmission which leaks through in autumn and winter before this is achieved is likely to lead to more prolonged shutdowns.

I'm fairly sure they will.   I'm fed up of friends and family sending me pics of them supping pints in busy pubs, or at the fitba.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Other half has just been offered her old job back on a WFH + travelling basis 2 years after being made redundant because they moved all the jobs to Hull.

31 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Purely anecdotal evidence here but at my workplace the majority of staff don’t like working from home & certainly don’t want to do it 5 days a week permanently, most would accept blended tho

Aye I’m definitely in this boat. I absolutely hate the working from home environment and really struggle mentally to have a disconnect from work each weekday. Obviously lucky to have the opportunity to still be working but long term I want to be back in the office.

Edited by wee_bairn

Ready for Leitch bingo:

Variants with a mention for the new scary California and New York variants. 
Near elimination
Australia and New Zealand
Saying it is very doubtful someone will be able to go to a bit and Ben in May. 
Need to wait to see the effect of the vaccine on transmission

So what did he say re fitba?

3.1% test positivity today, 525 cases. It’s getting there.

Really positive numbers again today, on all measures. ICU is half what is was a month ago, hospitalisation numbers even better.

Proportionately, the age of new hospital admissions is dropping too which indicates vaccinations are having an effect and it’s not just lockdown. The next 2 weeks should see the impact of the 60,000 vaccinations a day we were doing a few weeks ago, and we will be in a very different place.

Death rate crashing down too.

All in all, it’s almost unremitting good news.