Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Is that another day with sub 30k first vaccinations? Any chance a journalist will ask when the ramp up will start again?

Have supplies actually recovered to support higher vaccine figures?

2 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

What did clownshoes say about lower leagues? Something about a return to training 

Just caught up there. There are plans for a return to training soon, but he's worried about travel in the lower leagues. It's seemingly not an issue for tested players in the Premiership, but apparently is for tested players going from "Dumfries to Elgin"

Said that wants equity however, and that he doesn't want women's football to be hit badly. Said that it was considered a lower division (I imagine he means less resources, cash etc) but he doesn't want them to miss out.

Hopes for news "very soon".

Basically I don't think he'll give the green light to L1 and L2 to restart playing if he can't give the green light to the SWPL.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

We're now testing all close contacts, are we not?

That we are doing that and seeing test positivity dropping says a lot about how much of the "more transmissible variant!!1!" chat was baseless hysteria.

Apart from the fact it's been identified as the reason for the apparent slowdown in the pace of the fall in cases here (and presumably Israel going by the graph you posted last night) this is spot on. 

Shades of grey exist fyi 

There is no reason at all for L1 and L2 to remain suspended if the leagues are happy to conduct testing (which they are). Whether it's financially viable is a different matter, I guess, but I doubt teams would be keen to keep going if testing would cripple them. 

I think the decision is probably going be made for these clubs though as the timings will start to look impossible given the play-offs need fulfilled as well. 

Edited by Michael W

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I stand to gain from the announcement that 40-49s are next up once Groups 1-9 are complete.

But I think I'd prefer to let the police and teachers go next. Not sure I can face the continued bleating much longer

image.png.2d30a7ec6151d787f34bc2a99ebe0fb5.pngimage.png.f61858b404158981f0494f83abcdf1f9.png

I get their point.  They may be more at risk of catching the virus but they're not more at risk of getting ill from it.  Once the vulnerable are done the next target is surely herd immunity and for that we need to keep up and increase the volume (if we can).  Prioritising any specific occupation will slow that down as it will be more data for the NHS to cross-reference.

Edited by Left Back

5 minutes ago, Elric said:

No way will the lower leagues start soon after what he said. Equity for the Women's League -yeah let's get them back as soon as possible and what teams travel from Dumfries to Elgin?  

I agree regarding equity. They have already decided that L1/2 are more important than the common man in the street playing, I'm not sure why they feel they can't prioritise further other than some fear of being accused of sexism.

However, the Dumfries to Elgin thing was clearly a throwaway comment about teams travelling the length of the country. Notwithstanding the fact that Queen of the South could still play Elgin the cup.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I get their point.  They may be more at risk of catching the virus but they're not more at risk of getting ill from it.  Once the vulnerable are done the next target is surely herd immunity and for that we need to keep up and increase the volume (if we can).  Prioritising any specific occupation will slow that down as it will be more data for the NHS to cross-reference.

I get their point too. But by the time all over 40s are vaccinated a large chunk of police / teachers will be done anyway. They've harped on about this from day one - strikes me as a little selfish. Folk stacking the shelves in Asda are just as exposed, yet we hear little from them.

As you say, a perfectly valid reason has been given for going down this route. The reaction (within minutes) from Police and Teachers is a bit "Me, me, me!!"

Doing it by age should rattle through the whole process quicker than waiting to see how many come forward from certain professions, then carrying on. I do feel for shop workers and non jobsworth coppers, but teacher tears are hilarious.

The only thing about this whole shitshow the UK has gotten right is the vaccine rollout.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's all about the bloody teachers, they really think they're something special.   I'd have the low paid supermarket workers ahead of them in the queue.

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My daughter is a teacher. Late 20s and healthy. She'd love to get the vaccine now if for no other reason than to protect her as yet unvaccinated parents 😷

She completely agrees with the decision made today and the reasoning behind it. There'll be loads of folk like her.

Yep I'm early thirties and healthy.  There's absolutely no reason for us to be prioritised, especially when you consider a good chunk of the profession will be covered by over 40s anyway. Hardly fair on the other jobs that also have to work in people facing roles  throughout this.

Going by age also circumvents any arguments about which jobs are seen to be "more important" than others. 

Edited by super_carson