Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I reckon they both had roadmaps written, then the UK Gov dramatically changed there's last minute when the data about the vaccine performance came out. Scot Gov didn't, then hurriedly put something together on Monday night as they were committed to reveal on Tuesday.

That's not as far fetched as it may appear either. NS did say on Monday that she'd had to leave the 4 nations call that day to host the briefing. Who knows what BJ revealed on that call that nobody in the SG were then aware of.

ETA That is assuming there is only one representative from each nation on the call, which i've no idea is the case or not.

There will be two for NI, I imagine, otherwise there would be a huge row.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yer man could be a tad premature here. It's not the 70+ who are reading QAnon or nonsense facebook pages telling them covid is a lie and 5G is controlling their brains. I sincerely hope the same percentage of the rest of the population take up the vaccine but I suspect you'll see a big drop off in the libertarian middle aged men category and those who get their news from anyone with a blue tick on twitter.

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

You say they are utter nonsense, but they are consistent with the same data in England.

The bit in bold is a complete waffle completely unrelated to anything I said. The facts (as they have been for some time) are quite clear - the presence of age, and an existing underlying health condition massively increases the chances of death from Covid. Therefore it stands to reason that vaccinating those who are CEV & CV, along with everyone aged 50 and over, will greatly reduce the number of deaths from Covid. This is obviously good, and we should take confidence from the data so far that the vaccines will achieve this.

I don't understand the issue with saying that, and I challenge you (and @resk) to explain how anything there is covid denying, anti-mask or anti-lockdown.

Screenshot_20210225-235602_Excel.jpg

That table's column says 'actual deaths from covid 19'. It's basically stating that anyone with any other health condition on their records didn't actually die from covid.  It's a load of shite. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

That table's column says 'actual deaths from covid 19'. It's basically stating that anyone with any other health condition on their records didn't actually die from covid.  It's a load of shite. 

I didn't write the headings, but it's absolutely clear that they refer to underlying conditions yes/no.

I really don't understand what you are so annoyed about.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Some of us have obviously never seen The Thick of It.

I now have the image of Terri going mental at Glenn Cullen because he suggested that she should be ahead of him in the vaccination queue because "well, how do I put this... you're fond of a pie or two"

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I now have the image of Terri going mental at Glenn Cullen because he suggested that she should be ahead of him in the vaccination queue because "well, how do I put this... you're fond of a pie or two"

'For the record, I have done nothing'.

'Yes, that'll be your epitaph, Terri.'

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yer man could be a tad premature here. It's not the 70+ who are reading QAnon or nonsense facebook pages telling them covid is a lie and 5G is controlling their brains. I sincerely hope the same percentage of the rest of the population take up the vaccine but I suspect you'll see a big drop off in the libertarian middle aged men category and those who get their news from anyone with a blue tick on twitter.

If that were the case I'd probably move into the vaccine passport for entry camp. 

13 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

To be honest, there's never going to be a way to determine how many people died 'of Covid' and how many people died 'with Covid'. We're all just going to have to accept that it has killed a decent amount of people, and that is tragic.

A family friend's dad went into hospital because his cancer had got a lot worse. He had two to three months left to live, caught Covid in hospital and died quickly. There will be countless other situations exactly like that. It robbed him of a few months, but then again you could say that his cancer was so advanced then he might not have lived for an additional two months anyway.

Would he have died of Covid if he didn't have cancer? Probably not. Did Covid kill him or did cancer kill him? I guess they both did. Should that go down as a Covid death? We can argue about that until the end of time/restrictions. But nobody will ever all agree.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I didn't write the headings, but it's absolutely clear that they refer to underlying conditions yes/no.

I really don't understand what you are so annoyed about.

The headings are misleading and worded in a way to substantially lower the number of cases which are 'actual deaths from covid'. It's inaccurate.

I don't think you're gonna acknowledge that though so all the best. 

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

In England, festivals have hope and can plan ahead.

In Scotland..?

A plan based on hope is not a sound way to run your business. 

Also some of the events in that news report are in May the large scale events going ahead in England are at the end of August. The companies running Reading and Leeds probably will have far greater demand and far bigger financial backers if they need to run at a reduced capacity, I suspect the Highland games don't have this also cancelling and event scheduled to take place in September in February when clarity will be provided in Mid March seems a bit daft.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

If the Levels allow travel between council areas which have different restrictions, you definitely will see people going from council to council this time to take advantage of lower restrictions elsewhere.

People were doing this last time. It might have been less obvious in the central belt but it was quite blatant in Inverness.

You'd go out for a pint and be surrounded by Glasgowshire accents - "Aye we've just come up for a couple of weeks - decent rates at the AirBnBs here! Nice to get away from Glasgow and enjoy a few evenings out"

Lots of tourists came up from England too. 

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I guess they will have a health condition that puts them into the 1-9 groups.  There are under 50's getting done on the Lothians but they are in the vulnerable groups (which has a very wide ranging definition).

It's got a very specific definition - quite a few contributory issues which have to be taken into account, but vulnerable is vulnerable.