Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if a road map was ready say for the short term and then Boris came out with his map that obviously took things all the way to normality and they had to go back to the drawing table, I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on Tuesdays announcement when it really was a pre announcement.

It does need fleshed out but can't be fleshed out in nods and winks they need to clarify the levels and the triggers they are using to determine the levels that's stage one and stage two is exiting the levels model into a restriction free Scotland. It's good to see that cross border travel is back on as obviously that means you can leave the country for holidays if you wish they need to set out how long hotel quarantine will last hopefully it will be phased out with the move back into levels so people can actually think about going away even if they had to self isolate for a short period on their return at least it won't cost £2k

She's said a ciuple of times they'll be looking at the schools data. Got to imagine over the next 3 weeks, they'll cross reference any jumps in R with hospital admissions, deaths and vaccine data. If R increases, for eg, but not much happens with cases turning into hospitalisations, and those who have been jagged are nowhere to be seen in the nhs system, it's speedos oan for the summer for me. 

Edited by madwullie

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

She's said a ciuple of times they'll be looking at the schools data. Got to imagine over the next 3 weeks, they'll cross reference any jumps in R with hospital admissions, deaths and vaccine data. If R increases, for eg, but not much happens with cases turning into hospitalisations, and those who have been jagged are nowhere to be seen in the nhs system, it's speedos oan for the summer for me. 

I would hope now they are testing the teachers any effects would be marginal. 

Do any children who live in Scotland go to school in England and might we see effects of their more cavalier approach in some rural locations on the border?

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if a road map was ready say for the short term and then Boris came out with his map that obviously took things all the way to normality and they had to go back to the drawing table, I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on Tuesdays announcement when it really was a pre announcement.

I reckon they both had roadmaps written, then the UK Gov dramatically changed there's last minute when the data about the vaccine performance came out. Scot Gov didn't, then hurriedly put something together on Monday night as they were committed to reveal on Tuesday.

That's not as far fetched as it may appear either. NS did say on Monday that she'd had to leave the 4 nations call that day to host the briefing. Who knows what BJ revealed on that call that nobody in the SG were then aware of.

ETA That is assuming there is only one representative from each nation on the call, which i've no idea is the case or not.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I reckon they both had roadmaps written, then the UK Gov dramatically changed there's last minute when the data about the vaccine performance came out. Scot Gov didn't, then hurriedly put something together on Monday night as they were committed to reveal on Tuesday.

That's not as far fetched as it may appear either. NS did say on Monday that she'd had to leave the 4 nations call that day to host the briefing. Who knows what BJ revealed on that call that nobody in the SG were then aware of.

Yeh I agree, tbh I can see us really accelerate our progress our cautious approach with schools and probably even the levels initially will mean normality gradually comes back for as many people as possible whilst the vaccine keeps on rolling. 1.5m done now is great news just got to try and keep positive won't be long until we reach 2 million which is a baw hair from half way once you discount all the kids and folk that can't get it.

I think what is equally frustrating is that it is just 2 days since NS set out the road map.
I appreciate she said it would be fleshed out over the coming weeks, but already she has expanded on some things, and Leitch is coming out with this.
You'd be forgiven for thinking Tuesday's "road map" was rather rushed.
Does anyone know how much notice they had of the English road map?

Just a nagging doubt that they were waiting on that before fleshing things out and got caught short when that plan changed.

By the looks of this, those without co-morbidities are extremely unlikely to die from Covid.

This should give even more confidence that vaccinating JCVI groups 1-9 should all but eliminate Covid deaths in Scotland, and lead to restrictions being eased in a timely manner.

20210225_213516.jpg

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

ETA That is assuming there is only one representative from each nation on the call, which i've no idea is the case or not.

Eh nah, I don't think it's that tinpot.  I'm guessing they are minuted official meetings, requiring at least one representative of each nation on the call, for its duration.  

58 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Does anyone know how much notice they had of the English road map?

Just a nagging doubt that they were waiting on that before fleshing things out and got caught short when that plan changed.

She said the day before the two plans would be broadly similar.

Then BJ done his, which quite possibly factored in the vaccine news that emerged in the morning as it was 'all signing, all all dancing' to the point of ending restrictions in June (I said at the time I'd be amazed if the two plans prove to be broadly similar)

Sturgeon then does hers the next day, in what I thought was a very flippant manner, and raced through it all in about 5 or 10 minutes flat.

Then yesterday seemed to be much more upbeat and positive, probably on the back of some negative feedback to her performance / plan on Tuesday.

Reading between the lines, and pure speculation on my part, but I think BJ's roadmap was redrawn àt a very late stage and NS maybe saw it for the first time as we all did.

42 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

By the looks of this, those without co-morbidities are extremely unlikely to die from Covid.

This should give even more confidence that vaccinating JCVI groups 1-9 should all but eliminate Covid deaths in Scotland, and lead to restrictions being eased in a timely manner.

20210225_213516.jpg

Oh come on. I'm all for opening up pretty soon (and tbh I think the lockdowns have always been stricter than they should be anyway) but you can surely understand that you can exclude anyone with an underlying health condition to calculate "Actual deaths from Covid-19"?

Oh come on. I'm all for opening up pretty soon (and tbh I think the lockdowns have always been stricter than they should be anyway) but you can surely understand that you can exclude anyone with an underlying health condition to calculate "Actual deaths from Covid-19"?

Agreed. It’s basically saying that if you have any type of disease, regardless of whether you would last another 50 years normally, it wasn’t Covid.

It’s T_i_G at his Covid denying best.

Just now, Wee Bully said:

Agreed. It’s basically saying that if you have any type of disease, regardless of whether you would last another 50 years normally, it wasn’t Covid.

To be fair to @Todd_is_God he was just posting the data from someone to illustrate his point that deaths outwith the JCVI groups 1-9 are incredibly rare. But I don't like the language used by the guy who made that table.

There are clearly many, many people who were close to death anyway and Covid pushed them over the edge. But for every one of them, there's the 62 year old diabetic grandpa that could have easily managed another 15 years.

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Of course (And those weren't my words). But given JCVI Groups 4 & 6 cover clinically extremely vulnerable and clinically vulnerable people, by protecting them we will quite clearly greatly reduce the number of deaths. This is a both a good thing, and a fairly obvious point..

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Tremendous mewling. Not sure what relevance it has to my post though.