Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I didn't mention a terrible winter, nor have the numerous modellers or scientists (including Whitty et al) who have suggested we may have to have some restrictions in place. 

Just to be clear, you're saying that those who say we may have a rocky winter are all only saying it to cover their arses? Scientists globally at this crucial juncture for the human race are chortling away at their cunning scoring a win-win? 

Regardless, it is an utterly stupid suggestion that we bin track and trace at not quite the the arse end of a pandemic, no matter how optimistic we're all feeling, when we've still to see how it fully plays out. IMO we should keep some of that infrastructure in place for the foreseeable anyway. 

Yes. Do you expect them at any point to point blank say "yeah, you can lift all restrictions now, there is no chance of another wave" because that's just not going to happen.

Edited by Todd_is_God

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ll ask again - what are you proposing? We stay in lockdown forever, after the point the NHS is no longer at risk, to avoid the risk to the absolutely minute number of people who might get ill enough to be hospitalised?

Explain what you actually want to happen here.

Yep, a wee lie down would do the world of good.

Before you go - I'm advocating (not proposing - unlike the Main Players, I don't believe I have any influence) that we move forward in a course which will in all probability fall between the two poles which most posters on this thread cling to as if their lives depended on it.

As I posted earlier, the NHS will always be at risk, Covid or no Covid, as long as the Tories are in power. It has long been a target for them, and anyone who thinks they will invest to ensure resilience after this pandemic is frankly deluded.

We'd have to define "absolutely minute", obviously. This is a number which could be in four figures a day nationally, as we have got used to and now see as good news and perfectly acceptable. It would be less than one (for me) were you to confine it to the immediate WRK family, comprisong 15 individuals over four generations.

Should we be re-opening society, backed by increased immunity and vaccines? Absolutely. Are we ensuring that we are doing this safely, and tackling potential problems before they occur? I don't believe so. Are the WM Government to be trusted to ensure normality returns in a timely fashion? Hell, no.

Importantly (imho) - am I feeling better or worse than a month ago? Much, much better. There is a shift in the balance of good news versus bad - mainly down to the vaccine. I think the Lockdown has continued a few weeks to long as the WM Government didn't trust (or didn't dare to believe) the efficacy of the various vaccines. The plan they have come up with stil feels a bit fag-packety, and of course has that "no sooner than" get-out clause liberally sprinkled thoughout, but we do appear to be moving in the right direction. Balance between a desire for normality and a need to remain safe is crucial. Opening schools as the first step gives me cause for concern.

Anyhoo, stay safe and enjoy your lie down.

31 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

75 plus skews heavily towards women, is it because they spend so much time yapping in the supermarket or because most of the men don't live to be that auld?

Women do have a longer life expectancy - explained by my Grandpa as "married men die earlier because they want to."

Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing (outwith lateral flow) and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 
Self isolation was listed as a possible winter measure ongoing so that suggests symptomatic testing would continue.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing (outwith lateral flow) and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 

Self isolation was listed as a possible winter measure ongoing so that suggests symptomatic testing would continue.

There would need to be some changes to the system, though, otherwise you're going to end up (particularly with increased mixing) with large numbers of people isolating / off work until test results come back each time they get a wee cough or cold.

That's not really sustainable.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

Would be intrigued to know the age groups of these 769 (or more to the point have any of them been vaccinated - suspect not). Although case numbers are remaining at the same kind of level (maybe even dipping a bit, albeit very slowly), it would seem that cases aren't translating into hospitalisations. 

I can picture the move to the tier system being advanced at this rate (although I'm happy to stick with it through to end of Apr)

image.png.c79406ca9e405663248c2c4843e06e65.png

24 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-alert-level-downgraded-as-threat-of-nhs-being-overwhelmed-recedes-12228748

I could have sworn they weren't expecting the threat of the NHS to drop for a while yet (middle of March maybe?)

It's still busy but there is no longer a material threat that it will be overwhelmed in the next two weeks, hence the downgrade

55 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-alert-level-downgraded-as-threat-of-nhs-being-overwhelmed-recedes-12228748

I could have sworn they weren't expecting the threat of the NHS to drop for a while yet (middle of March maybe?)

Level 1 has always been impossible, so Level 2 will obviously still mean being back to normal with no social distancing or other NPI restrictions...

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Yeah you’re certainly not wrong or without foundation in that first bit I’ve made bold. Usually you see the analogy  used for football fans, but on the whole, people are fickle. 

Like you say, don’t blame them and easy to understand why.

I'm not any better, I've literally called a player pish then cheered their goal a minute later.

:lol:

51 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

We're still recovering from the fucking minter of electing Kirstene Hair, but this is highly pleasing. 

She had fantastic credentials though

Image result for kirstne hair looking lost

Wonder if she has made up her mind about Brexit yet?

Unfortunately, the batton for electing dumb Tory MPs has been passed to my constituency - Jeeso - Andrew Bowie

Tory MP Kirstene Hair ridiculed as Glasgow Question Time audience laugh when she says Boris Johnson cares about Scotland – The Scottish Sun

Edited by Caledonian1

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Can I get some clarity on who The Main Players are?

Was thinking this the other day. You would have to split them into vaguely defined camps first. Am confident of saying that @Todd_is_God is comfortably the Hollywood Hogan of the thread though.

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Get yourself over to the Deadpool thread, you will love it there.

P.s what account do you want to keep this one or the Frank Reynolds one?

You’ll have to show your working for that one I’m afraid. I have no affiliation with Frank Reynolds. I only have 1 account I’m not sad like a few folk on here