Coronavirus (COVID-19)

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. That's where most places are going, my own included.

Truth is the businesses that stick to rigid office working will lose talented people because the vast majority will be working flexibly. The trend is well in motion.

Not everyone agrees with this approach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56192048

Suspect he's trying to push water up a hill though.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres still a lot of folk going with "but Boris overpromises" and assuming his plan isnt happening. Boris has indeed over promised several times, always in rather vague ways. What they presented the other day was pretty unprecedented through this.

Theres no fucking way they let this particular cat out of the bag without knowing it was deliverable. They have all the data, the modelling etc etc. Way more than we do.The only explanation for this is that all of those at the table are in agreement that, to use the thread terminology, the vaccines are cigaring it and the protection offered supersedes any/all of the measures that are in place to the point of making them worthless.

Yes, let's not forget his "always in vague ways" promising about saving that *checks notes* moveable feast Christmas, the one that comes around completely unpredictably at different times every year.

58 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Sorry if it has been discussed already, noticed this last night - 

Can't see it myself. I can see why they went for it back in August, but there's so much pent up demand, together with the vaccinactions, I tend to think, far from being nervous about going out (although there will be some of course), folk cannot wait to go meals and pints.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm with you mate, I really am, but this is beyond naïve. It might be deliverable but that doesn't make it likely. I hope it is and like Tynie I really hope Boris isn't just fluffing the nation again but I can't say I have any confidence in WM or the SG to give us our normal lives back by June. 

I dint think I am being naive at all. Dont think it didnt cross my mind that this is yet another Boris gaffe, but if anyone wants to tell me that they see this as just the same as any of his previous, flippant comments like "over by November" or even "over by Easter" then I will respectfully say that I dont think they are very good at judging tone. This has a fully different flavour to it this time, which to me feels like they have decided what level of covid circulation (from cases to deaths) is manageable and have cross referenced this with the efficacy and progress of vaccines. 

Genuinely, this week has been nothing like ANY of the previous promises and I'm having a difficult time seeing the reasoning of people who are comparing them. 

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This guy is a mathematician who posts modelling and data based analysis of the pandemic on Twitter, I’ve found his stuff very interesting. He has produced modelling on the effect of opening up.

If I'm reading that right, the guy's thread says that his model is based on 37% of people having immunity from vaccination on the 21st June, which seems low given that they're promising every adult will have a shot by July.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Zero Flu. Very strange. 

Can't see this being a good thing for future winters, really. Think we're going to have a very bad winter flu season at some point in the coming years.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dint think I am being naive at all. Dont think it didnt cross my mind that this is yet another Boris gaffe, but if anyone wants to tell me that they see this as just the same as any of his previous, flippant comments like "over by November" or even "over by Easter" then I will respectfully say that I dont think they are very good at judging tone. This has a fully different flavour to it this time, which to me feels like they have decided what level of covid circulation (from cases to deaths) is manageable and have cross referenced this with the efficacy and progress of vaccines. 

Genuinely, this week has been nothing like ANY of the previous promises and I'm having a difficult time seeing the reasoning of people who are comparing them. 

I dunno, it's got a very "over by June" feel to it to me. I hope you are right. 

12 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I wouldn’t book a holiday to any destination that has mandatory masks outdoors, curfews, restrictions on hospitality etc
Why bother? I’d rather just wait till this is over tbh

Book your SAGA cruise now...

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yes, let's not forget his "always in vague ways" promising about saving that *checks notes* moveable feast Christmas, the one that comes around completely unpredictably at different times every year.

I dont think the specifics of what he has or hasnt promised matter that much. He has started a big ball rolling down a big hill this time. They knew his message would do that. None of the previous "promises" have led to this level of hope, or this level of media reaction, holiday bookings going through the roof etc etc. None of the previous promises have come in the midst of a spectacularly* effeective vaccine campaign. People wont turn back this time. Dont try and tell me they didnt think about that before going down this road. 

I have long said that the vaccines will result in a tipping point for compliance. Are you really telling me that you think the government have changed the messaging to this extent without feeling pretty secure with the situation unfolding? And yes, I know he is a lying tory c**t, but let's not lose the ability to think straight. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

This guy is a mathematician who posts modelling and data based analysis of the pandemic on Twitter, I’ve found his stuff very interesting. He has produced modelling on the effect of opening up.

Correct me if I'm wrong here too, but when we talk of the %age of population already immune, we actually have no idea how many of them we're double dunting by giving the vaccine too. So it's not simply a case of adding % vaccinated to %recovered with natural anti-bodies, especially considering a good proportion of people who had it wouldn't be aware that they did.

We had already been told that at best a phased return to the office would not start until the Autumn. We're now having calls about how many days folks want to work at home but also been told that the office should not be looked on anymore for day to day working if it can be done at home - it's to be a 'collaborative' space for meetings, workshops, training etc. They're effectively wanting to stop the social side of the office and i can't help but think they've probably realised that not only are folks getting the work done, they're getting through more. Folks are likely to log on earlier, stay on a bit later and not have travel issues, folk are also less likely to throw a sickie if they can just sit on the couch with the telly on and the laptop powered up.
Our absences have fallen by 80% whilst WFH. Stats like that our bound to influence thinking around future working practice.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont think the specifics of what he has or hasnt promised matter that much. He has started a big ball rolling down a big hill this time. They knew his message would do that. None of the previous "promises" have led to this level of hope, or this level of media reaction, holiday bookings going through the roof etc etc. None of the previous promises have come in the midst of a spectacularly* effeective vaccine campaign. People wont turn back this time. Dont try and tell me they didnt think about that before going down this road. 

I have long said that the vaccines will result in a tipping point for compliance. Are you really telling me that you think the government have changed the messaging to this extent without feeling pretty secure with the situation unfolding? And yes, I know he is a lying tory c**t, but let's not lose the ability to think straight. 

I genuinely hope you are right. I just don't see why folk are swallowing his every word. The man is a proven compulsive liar.

Correct me if I'm wrong here too, but when we talk of the %age of population already immune, we actually have no idea how many of them we're double dunting by giving the vaccine too. So it's not simply a case of adding % vaccinated to %recovered with natural anti-bodies, especially considering a good proportion of people who had it wouldn't be aware that they did.

Study out today puts it currently at 13.9% for England combined (jabbed and natural from infection) that's %of adults not total population I think.