Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Companies have never stopped selling holidays, although a few Airlines have recently pushed their availability calendars back to July.
I've got lots booked for the coming year but all on free cancellation and pay on arrival basis so no risk involved.
Some have been excellent with refunds - Jet2holidays among the best. Tui were awful at one point but have turned things right round and are one of the quicker refunders.

The worst, no surprise, Ryanair and Easyjet.

20 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Your mewling now is just as pointless tonight as it was then as well.

SARS-CoV-2 is going to be reduced to the level of risk we have always accepted for the >200 respiratory viruses which circulate in humans, and for which we have never mandated 'domestic vaccine passports'.

And when it’s there angels can stand on pinheads.

For now it’s not that mundane. So into the Sainsbury ban for you.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Left Back said:
You seem to have ignored the very specific thing he said about ATOL protection so you get your money back if it goes pear shaped.  It wasn’t the free for all you implied.

That covers flights and package deals - it won't cover DIY trips where you book the flights, accommodation and transfers in seperate bookings.

You’re correct, and he explicitly said thats as well by saying go to your ATOL protected travel agent and book a package deal.

no-one is saying go wild and book like it’s 2019

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some have been excellent with refunds - Jet2holidays among the best. Tui were awful at one point but have turned things right round and are one of the quicker refunders.

We had flights to Lanzarote booked for a few weeks ago.  When Jet2 cancelled the inbound leg they refunded in a couple of days.  Easyjet took weeks.

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

They just want people to spend money regardless of what will happen. Its illegal to travel abroad so how can they be selling holidays?

Talk of festival tickets selling as well.

I'm sure coronavirus will book a holiday as well.

I work in travel and we have been selling holidays in France the whole pandemic.

We offer a covid guarantee and anyone who has not been able to travel last summer or this winter to ski has had their money refunded or transferred to another date

Bookings for winter season 2021-22 are through the roof. Many people are going to be disappointed when they wait for last minute deals

Are you suggesting we should do nothing until people can legally travel?

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I realise you can get a refund or credit but it’s a huge gamble and just the government giving the travel industry a leg up. They can’t guarantee anything, people could be left stranded abroad ffs. They don’t give a monkeys.

Who is leaving anyone stranded abroad?

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

You seem to have ignored the very specific thing he said about ATOL protection so you get your money back if it goes pear shaped.  It wasn’t the free for all you implied.

You dont need to rely on ATOL

If you can find a good hotel or accommodation with a water tight guarantee and good reviews you will be fine.

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ryanair are taking about 3 - 4 weeks at the moment for a refund once requested. 

They're quoting "7 days" if you reject the "instant voucher" but the last few I've requested have taken just under the month to appear back in my account, still, it's not like I'm going anywhere that I really need the money !!

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

If you can find a good hotel or accommodation with a water tight guarantee and good reviews you will be fine.

Exactly, I almost always book with the Hotel direct and if you sign up for their various "loyalty schemes", you generally get the free cancellation / pay on arrival as standard, plus free room upgrade, welcome drinks, free safe, free mini bar etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I wouldn’t dispute that but I don’t think a BBC travel correspondent would be in his job for very long if he was giving out that advice at the moment though.  ATOL is absolutely guaranteed and that was what he was talking about.

Just now, WATTOO said:

Exactly, I almost always book with the Hotel direct and if you sign up for their various "loyalty schemes", you generally get the free cancellation / pay on arrival as standard, plus free room upgrade, welcome drinks, free safe, free mini bar etc, etc.

We set our prices at least 15% higher on booking.com etc to give the regular guest who book direct the best deal.

Free cancellation is a must just now.

5 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

We set our prices at least 15% higher on booking.com etc to give the regular guest who book direct the best deal.

Free cancellation is a must just now.

The thing that would worry me about booking anything just now is quarantine when getting back to the UK, nothing to do with potentially losing the money.  I wouldn’t want to do it and won’t book any international travel until I’m pretty positive I won’t have to.  Having to spend 10 days at home  for a week away puts me right off the idea of a holiday.

The "bump" in supply finally hit the BBC news tonight, with the UK figure well down on whats it been for a few weeks and talk of supply being limited next week as well.

But they were still confident of the mid April date for all 9 of the JCVI priority groups. 

Have they given any indication as to when the JCVI will give their recommendations past the 9 groups?

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

The thing that would worry me about booking anything just now is quarantine when getting back to the UK, nothing to do with potentially losing the money.  I wouldn’t want to do it and won’t book any international travel until I’m pretty positive I won’t have to.  Having to spend 10 days at home  for a week away puts me right off the idea of a holiday.

We cover at our Hotel by basically including that in the reasons to cancel. 

Some won't but until we out that in no one was booking.

Had absolutely no problem at all getting a refund out of easyJet (possibly 3 weeks ago now). Noticed flight schedule had changed, logged into booking and sure, enough, flights cancelled. Phoned for a refund and got it three days later. 

Granted it was a holiday booking but process was pretty good. Maybe I've been lucky. 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Had absolutely no problem at all getting a refund out of easyJet (possibly 3 weeks ago now). Noticed flight schedule had changed, logged into booking and sure, enough, flights cancelled. Phoned for a refund and got it three days later. 

Granted it was a holiday booking but process was pretty good. Maybe I've been lucky. 

CEO is a good Kilbirnie boy who lived just a few doors down from me when we were growing up, not spoken to him in nearly 30 years but he's certainly done well for himself.

37 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Or 2 weeks booked in Spain. On the beach first day. Then outbreak in Spain. Then spend rest of holiday in a hotel room. 

36 minutes ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/33qv759mMrv7RWjc3cKbKfC/post-lockdown-anxiety-not-everyone-is-excited-about-restrictions-easing

I think the safest thing for people like this would be to just stay home forever, while the rest of us get on with it.

The guy who’s worried about work from home going back to being some kind of corporate taboo has a point, to be fair, especially if the UK Government starts its “get back to the office” messaging again. 

48 minutes ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/33qv759mMrv7RWjc3cKbKfC/post-lockdown-anxiety-not-everyone-is-excited-about-restrictions-easing

I think the safest thing for people like this would be to just stay home forever, while the rest of us get on with it.

The woman who said she’d wear a mask for a few months to ensure she didn’t get covid.

Do these people have no actual awareness of how this virus works?