Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I think there is some truth in what you say, the opinion polls will have a massive influence on the policy throughout April and May.  NS did say that if downward trends continue then they may make changes faster so she is giving herself wiggle room. 

The May election is massively significant, as I've said before.  If we are in a situation whereby level 3 is all we are getting (and it may well be even more limited than it is just now) then more and more businesses will be folding and unemployment will continue to rise.  It's not a great situation for any incumbent government going into an election.

She is walking a very fine line. They are still going to win the election, probably by a mile, but if they piss about too much, there is still the possibility support might drop enough to prevent them getting a majority - something which is tricky enough given how the electoral system works for the Scottish Parliament.

Bringing things forward to look good seems like the only possible course of action, quite frankly, but the longer it goes on, the more damage it does to businesses and people's livelihoods.

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Why would a business demand a system that might exclude customers?
Why would they get sued if someone catches covid on their premises? A business isn’t held responsible for a customer catching a respiratory infection from another customer

I think this is the reason why if anything happens, it will be a fad at first before the economic reality sets in - that eventually people won't give a shit and by excluding a small, but not insignificant section of society, it will effectively cap revenues.

Are you at a new prison? I thought you lived next door to your work?
Aye, after I had a stroke in September 2019, my recovery wasn't good enough to fulfill the more physical (enjoyable)parts of the Officer role. The Governor regraded (downgraded) me to Support Grade. Fortunately, my H&S work and qualifications made me a good fit to cover a long term absence, at a better pay grade, at a different nick*. That absence has become a vacancy, so just waiting for the post to go to interview now. Can't see too many others going for the job with Covid around, so hopeful it'll get firmed up. Weirdly, I'll lose money by getting it permanent, because I'm currently getting paid travel subs..
*Think Mulberry bush..

Probably because of all the lies going around that the vaccines contain pork, or other animal products, or aborted foetal cells etc.
Or perhaps influenced by a deep seated cultural suspicion of the white races, based on centuries of exploitation, conquest, slavery and discrimination. Who knows?

Good to see that the strain which is going to 'sweep the world' is being absolutely cigared by the vaccines. At what point can we stop the mewling about the ones from South Africa and Brazil, and the ones from places like Outer Mongolia which don't exist yet?

Posted at 10:58

Vaccines 'working well' against new UK variant

image.gif.a4f76283c25fb8f9ac12db566820fe94.gif
BBCCopyright: BBC

Data suggests the current coronavirus vaccines being used in the UK are "working well" against the new UK variant, says a leading virologist.

Professor Wendy Barclay, head of the department of infectious disease at Imperial College London, is talking about the B1.1.7 strain, first discovered in Kent.

She tells the Science and Technology Committee: "There has been some concern that the variant is different than the original strain against which the vaccines were generated, but the good numbers... really give us some reassurance, which can be backed up now in laboratory studies, that this variant is still susceptible to the vaccine."

Prof Barclay says: "Now that we're seeing good numbers in the field with the vaccine says that at least for this variant, the vaccines remain efficacious and are working well."

I'm sure Pfizer supply other countries with their vaccine who have also had an unexpected supply drop off. Surely you are not going to blame all of their governments for that?
In any case its the manufacturers responsibility to keep the government's informed and up to date with any issues and their responsibility to supply countries with the vaccine.
I think you are nit picking here on the SG and nothing that anyone says is correct and you will read into it always bad.
It's your opinion if your priority is completely political and you'd rather see some other party running the country.
As long as the various administrations are putting every dose they are allocated into arms then whether the dip in supply was expected or unexpected is totally irrelevant. AfAWK that is happening and the programme will speed back up just as soon as supply allows

Copied from Twitter, but encouraging numbers again today. Hopefully see the number in hospital drop below 1000 tomorrow.

798 cases (3.9% of tests positive)

1,018 in hospital (down 58)
93 in ICU (no change)

47 deaths

29,754 vaccinated in last 24 hours 

Care home deaths have fallen 69% in past 4 weeks

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Sturgeon is being a bit cany here. Very vague with it all but only a 3 week turn around compared to Boris saying 5 weeks in England. 

Infection is already far lower in Scotland and with an election in May don't be surprised to see some steps brought forward in time for the polls opening. 

Such as the polls opening? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Copied from Twitter, but encouraging numbers again today. Hopefully see the number in hospital drop below 1000 tomorrow.

798 cases (3.9% of tests positive)

1,018 in hospital (down 58)
93 in ICU (no change)

47 deaths

29,754 vaccinated in last 24 hours 

Care home deaths have fallen 69% in past 4 weeks

so around the end of the first week in Feb we finished vaccinating care home residents I believe so we still don't have "full" first dose protection there yet either.

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Good to see that the strain which is going to 'sweep the world' is being absolutely cigared by the vaccines. At what point can we stop the mewling about the ones from South Africa and Brazil, and the ones from places like Outer Mongolia which don't exist yet?

Listening to Jonathan Van Tam this morning he thought they wouldn't know for certain until the vaccines are rolled out in countries where these variants are high, they're too low in the UK population to make a proper judgement

Shift in tone today, no definite dates (fair enough) but indication that there will be a point when it will be over. Talking about moving through levels quicker and being confident about the vaccination evidence giving optimism.  By her standards that's quite optimistic and probably a reaction to yesterday's reception.  

I can't help but notice that, since Johnson and Sturgeon's messages, the Main Players and, dare I say it, even the Lone Beholder, don't seem to be over concerned about the situation in schools. As I said before, I'm no expert, but as the first step in both plans, is the potential for things to go wrong at the start of the roadmap, not a bit concerning?

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Shift in tone today, no definite dates (fair enough) but indication that there will be a point when it will be over. Talking about moving through levels quicker and being confident about the vaccination evidence giving optimism.  By her standards that's quite optimistic and probably a reaction to yesterday's reception.  

Yep. Was annoyed yesterday with her statement yesterday but hopefully this will be all over by the end of summer.