Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is it not proof of vaccination or a recent negative test result?

Providing it is a short term thing, which allows things to open earlier than they would otherwise (or with much fewer / no restrictions), what's the problem?

If you don't want to use such an app, no one is forcing you, and you can instead wait another couple of months to visit places like you would have had to do without said "passport" anyway.

Much more detail about anything like this is needed in order to have a proper discussion on it.

It's already been decided upon and there is no chance it will be temporary.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

SNP twitter appears to be in a slight panic tonight over some people expressing their displeasure at NS's statement today by daring to suggest they won't vote for her in May.

There's no doubt that when May rolls round, whatever NS said (or didn't say) on the 23rd of February will have next to no impact on the result of the election (that the election is so early on in the relaxation stage of the roadmap probably means that exit strategy will have little impact anyway), but it's perhaps a little bit of a wake up call that support for the SNP isn't guaranteed, and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Twitter isnae real life Todders,it's full of bots, grots and intolerant blokes. Any platform that's anonymous will attract the crazies.....like here. Even the big Salmond/Sturgeon battle on twitter has probably 100 folk each side thinking they're bringing down a government/saving a government.

Edited by dirty dingus

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

COVID-19 ceases to be a serious threat to public health but some ongoing public health measures likely to remain in place.

If true we're in this for the long haul. 

Define “public health measures”.

I’d be amazed if stuff like self isolation if you do get it after all restrictions are lifted isn’t still a thing. They’ll probably continue to ask for enhanced hygiene etc - which isn’t really a bad thing in general. There will probably still be measures relating to travel to/from places where vaccination is way behind the curve and/or there are still large outbreaks. Those are all public health measures rather than any kind of restriction on day to day life.

If it’s stuff like mask wearing or limits on crowd sizes then that’s a different story.

13 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ayrshire news site just posted the below as a summary:

- Current position positive and optimistic but must be careful 

- Travel restrictions set to remain for sometime 

- Set to move back to a level based system from the last week of April, Ayrshire should go back to level 3 from current lockdown on 25th April. 

- Last week of April (Level 3 and below) will include all Retail, Hospitality, gyms and Hairdressers 

- From March 15th next phase of School returns will begin including all primary years, and non contact outdoor sports followed by 6 people from 2 households outside.

- From 5th April the stay at home message is expected to be removed. 

- Essential retail reopening  for Click and Collect only and meeting with 6 people from 2 households could be possible indoors by Mid April but will be reliant on Data - Key date is last week of April for a much wider return to normality.

The bits I’ve highlighted in bold aren’t correct are they? If they are then it’s incredibly positive but I’ve no idea where they’ve got that from

Nicola specifically mentioned hospitality last week in April. 

28 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Two of these look hopelessly pessimistic to me. Would need to see the assumptions for the worst ones. At a guess, new variant more transmissible & more deadly? 

Edited by madwullie

Just a flick through the front pages this morning and it's pretty obvious the announcement didn't go down too well, mostly because of vagueness.

Having slept on it, I still think the route map was pretty poor. It contained very little other than moving to a revised tier/level system in 9 weeks. My only hope is that they want another few weeks of vaccinations and data to get a much more substantive picture of the effects and that data will continue to show these work and that we can unlock faster. If that is the case, then saying so may have helped temper any backlash from businesses without committing to indicative dates like Bojo.

I'm very anxious about the language of on-going public health measures and what they might entail. Some small measures may be tolerable in the short to medium term but we really got absolutely no clarity from yesterday.

I wonder if the early-ish church reopening has anything to do with getting some religious groups vaccinated?

I remember at one of the briefings Johnson held, they said that they were working with religious leaders and other groups to get people in their communities vaccinated where there was some vaccine hesitancy. I think part of the plan was vaccinating at the place of worship. 

Edited by Jambomo

23 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I'm very anxious about the language of on-going public health measures and what they might entail. Some small measures may be tolerable in the short to medium term but we really got absolutely no clarity from yesterday.

I understand this but I don't think it's necessary to be anxious, yet.

Ongoing health measures covers a huge range of things and to be honest a legacy of increased public hygiene/awareness of disease transmission will be no bad thing. Of course, if 'ongoing measures' include limits on social interaction, crowd limits etc etc that's a different story.

I understand this but I don't think it's necessary to be anxious, yet.
Ongoing health measures covers a huge range of things and to be honest a legacy of increased public hygiene/awareness of disease transmission will be no bad thing. Of course, if 'ongoing measures' include limits on social interaction, crowd limits etc etc that's a different story.
Yep and I guess my main issue is the lack of clarity or detail which, to be fair, hasn't been something we've said all that often about Sturgeon during this. We may have had issue with the policy, but it's been communicated fairly well until recently.

Today's comment from NS may be interesting given the apparent pushback. Is it a briefing or FMQs today?

I have managed to get my second vaccine brought forward a week and get it tomorrow.
My arm was rather sore after first one so expecting it to drop off this time around.
That would probably count as a work related injury so fingers crossed.
I had my first dose yesterday (AZ), and my left arm feels like it's just attached, not a functioning part of me. I'm glad I took a day's annual leave, because I think the 45 mile drive to work would have been problematic.

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
30 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
I have managed to get my second vaccine brought forward a week and get it tomorrow.
My arm was rather sore after first one so expecting it to drop off this time around.
That would probably count as a work related injury so fingers crossed.

I had my first dose yesterday (AZ), and my left arm feels like it's just attached, not a functioning part of me. I'm glad I took a day's annual leave, because I think the 45 mile drive to work would have been problematic.

Did they put it in with a Daktari gun?

9 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Yep and I guess my main issue is the lack of clarity or dwrial which, to be fair, hasn't been something we've said all that often about Sturgeon during this. We may have had issue with the policy, but it's been communicated fairly well until recently.

Today's comment from NS may be interesting given the apparent pushback. Is it a briefing or FMQs today?

I'm fairly relaxed about the fact we don't know what the finer details of what post pandemic life will look like. My main gripe from yesterday was that we got a routemap to an indefinite period of the tiers system, not one out of this.

Normally FMQ's on a Wednesday though.

They’re actively speaking about vaccine passports and lateral-flow tests down South, and these will not go away on June 21st if indeed that date is met. Good old Boris.

A Scottish Government paper makes reference to ‘public health measures’, which admittedly is very vague, and we have people losing their mind.

It could mean social distancing forever more. It could mean perma-lockdown. More likely though it’s leaving open the possibility of masks staying in the short-term - already said by Vallance/Whitty - and for measures to come back in winter if necessary - already said by Whitty. Minimum pricing on alcohol is a public health measure. The smoking ban in public spaces is a public health measure. Vaccine passports and lateral-flow tests would be a public health measure.

The paper also says we can look forward to the general lifting of restrictions, and Covid will be over a serious public health issue. Those are the key points. I too wanted more from Sturgeon yesterday, the plan stopped at April with fairly vague detail on what that even looks like. We’re stuck between a lying PM who tells you what you want to hear and an ultra-cautious FM who doesn’t want to break a promise. It’s frustrating. But I still see no clear daylight between their approaches.