Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Fair.

It shows how far some folk have gone on this thread when you Sir are one of the more balanced posters. I never thought I'd see the day when half a dozen plus posters rocketed ahead of you in the roaster stakes.

I think there's a compliment in there 😂

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

Why would he have fcked it? By then the most vulnerable and elderly will be double dosed on the vaccine. I really dont care if somebody outwith those categories has to stay in bed for a few days. Deaths and ICU numbers should be all that matters by then. All this "to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed" bs seems to be replaced by "to prevent any sod getting covid at all" 

You're absolutely right. I mean, it's not like he has a track record of absolutely fucking it and having to go back on his word for me to base my scepticism on.

Reaction to this amongst folk i follow on social media has been nuclear, major feeling of Sturgeon pissing on folks chips today. I think folk were maybe bit (understandably) carried away with the optimism of yesterday and it's sunk them to hear that we've still got a bit to go. I do understand folks frustrations with the general vague approach from Sturgeon and her refusal to give an exact roadmap like Johnson, but can see why she hasn't done that.

Just now, Steven W said:

Do you think they won't be?

I would prefer them to be renamed tbh. England isn't using them this time, and the last thing we need is confusion with old copies with the same name.

That way it would also feel like a clean break.

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Aye, very good. I thought I was an invincible superhero who couldn’t catch Covid? What the fcuk has a golf course got to do with anything? Turns out that so far, I haven’t caught as much as a cold. That’ll be because I obeyed the rules, have hardly done anything in nearly a year bar play some golf in the summer and did my shopping. I was open and honest about my shopping. When the shops we frequented were OK with us shopping as a couple - we did. In and out, quickly as possible. Since they tightened up on that, we have shopped alone. Been fcuking murder, I keep buying beer and bourbon. She’s not happy. Now, ignoring your shite snd getting back to facemasks... it’s seemingly all that really matters. The signs placed outside shops. The staff at the doors scanning for faces free of a piece of polyester shite. No-one seems to care about much else, as long as you have your facemask. Just my opinion. 

Aye, but you're half cut, why should you worry?

That's not true though.
In the Scottish tier system if you're in tier 3 or 4 you can't leave your LA (i.e. you can't visit relatives in a park who happen to live in a different LA) - but that isn't the case in England
It's not to be level 3 as it was though, a new version to be announced next month. No way we will be confined to own LA when by then the stay at home order will have been removed weeks before that.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Do you think they won't be?

If for no other reason than the tiers used bed and icu current capacity and forecasts in it's calculation which will require some degree of revision since by mid March we should be dropping both like a stone.

Can anyone hand on heart say that they expect Sturgeon, the SG and their advisors to suddenly have a change of heart at the end of April and accelerate towards ending any and all restrictions? Even if the data is showing that it would be on balance safe to do so? Nothing about their actions so far, right down to keeping almost all of Scotland in hugely restrictive tiers while cases were marginal last summer, suggests that's going to be the case.

I think we're in for many more months of "we just don't know"ing and "we've got to be cautious"ing, and your best bet if you're Scottish and want to hug your granny again is that Johnson's roadmap pays off.

Edited by HibsFan

Just reading through the framework just now and saw this in reference to social distancing...

In being open and transparent about the challenges ahead I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that some protective measures, such as physical distancing and face coverings, are likely to be necessary for some months yet, including for those who have been vaccinated.

That's pretty vague to me, a few months might be May, July or even December.  But does seem to suggest that it won't still be here into next year...

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

That's not true though.

In the Scottish tier system if you're in tier 3 or 4 you can't leave your LA (i.e. you can't visit relatives in a park who happen to live in a different LA) - but that isn't the case in England

Johnson doesn’t say anything (as far as I can see from media reports on it) about lifting geographical restrictions and I fully believe if he gets told by someone that he needs to then, word or no word, he’ll impose them. 

The tiers may also not look the same this time as they did last time and geographical travel might be ok. We need more information first.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tier 4 and Tier 3 didn't feel particularly different to me, since neither of them really allowed me to do most of the stuff I actually enjoy doing in my life - especially travelling between council areas. Cafes being open is a slight bonus I suppose.

quite the hobby you've got yourself there. Local authority jumping? 

3 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Think today will confirm no fans at the Euro's in June and no fans back at stadiums until start of next year. 

Yes, I can see why a plan which only gets up to mid-April would confirm that there will still be severe restrictions by December in a fully vaccinated country.

21 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Nice wee dog at Boris saying she won’t pick an arbitrary date. 

Yes, she won't set out any 'arbitrary dates' for reopening: which must come as a great relief to businesses who much prefer arbitrary announcements by the Chief Clownshoe about which tier they've been assigned to by the tombola system, a few days in advance. That's a much more rational planning strategy.

[/sarcasm]

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The biggest issue for me is the lack of a clear end point to all of this. I'm not talking about a date, I'm talking about a "at some point in the future we will be lifting these restrictions roughly in this order". The tier system doesn't do that, because even Tier 0 is still full of restrictions. There should be a very clear message that at some point, some time in the future, all of the restrictions will be listed, ideally with at least some indication of what is needed for that to happen.

Aye, basically this. 

3 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Reaction to this amongst folk i follow on social media has been nuclear, major feeling of Sturgeon pissing on folks chips today. 

I see from the comments sections that some are taking this better than others:

Screenshot_20210223-145005.thumb.png.7104650102c6c78220aeb58e8510b268.png