Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm somewhere between heads gone and "meh" about that.

It all depends on what "level 3" will be when that comes about (2 months away...) - a reminder that level 3 before was no alcohol in hospitality in any form and everyone out by 6pm. If she thinks she can get away with anything even approaching that she has lost the fucking place. Outdoor pubs are open in almost every European country NOW. By end of April we'll have vaccinated people who are 50 with no underlying health conditions. 

Also, absolutely zero mention of covid being something that we'll have to live with, or a commitment that social distancing measures are basically unsustainable for more than another year at the very very most. 

Indoor places of worship open for 20 old biddies whilst I can meet 1 friend in a park? Pahahahah. Spare me. 

Just now, renton said:

The revised criteria for which haven't been announced, nor is it certain that we'd all only move into tier 3 on that date.

It's basically plough through the JCVI groups into mid April, then see where we lie after that.

Perhaps, and I'd like to share in your optimism that that comes true.  Hopefully vaccines continue to boot this thing in the baws and by late April we are ready for a significant reopening.  

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Facemasks. Facemasks. Facemasks... it’s like if you’ve bought a piece of cheap polyester shite from a stall selling them in your local shopping centre, and slapped it round your chin while you saunter through Tesco, you’ve suddenly become an invincible superhero. Incapable of getting, or transmitting, anything. Scores of pensioners shuffling around with them hanging off their chin, not even bothering with their nose. Touching them, placing them on Costa coffee tables.... fcuk sake. Hygeine, washing your hands, distancing - all relegated to the seaside leagues as long as you have your facemask. Everything. Is. About. Facemasks.

^^^Forgot-his-facemask-and -got-pulled-up-for-it-type post

I would hope that cases are given far less emphasis this time with the key figures being hospital numbers and vaccination rates. I had to switch off due to a work call so not sure whether she went into that or not.

If it is based on cases then the central belt will be left bouncing between levels 3 and 4 until the end of time while some "lucky" areas might see the dizzying heights of level 2.

I don't relish the rest of Feb, March and most of April as we currently are, however. Its now time to watch the vaccines do their magic, and hopefully they will make good on the acceleration patter. that's now the point where feet need to meet fire. I would bet good money on the data showing great result after great result between now and then.

And ffs, stop saying "greater normality".

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The geographical tiered system indicates an intention to retain the power to increase restrictions in certain areas at any time. 

There is still no ‘end’ in clear sight here. And maybe she’s unable to give that in good faith, but it is disappointing to say the least. 

Johnson is retaining that ability too though. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, it certainly makes more sense to have places open and working where there is no need for them to be closed, just because somewhere else (probably Glasgow) still has high cases.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

They are going back into tiers though, that’s all Johnson’s stage 1,2,3 and 4 are. They aren’t much different from ours either.

That's not true though.

In the Scottish tier system if you're in tier 3 or 4 you can't leave your LA (i.e. you can't visit relatives in a park who happen to live in a different LA) - but that isn't the case in England

Let's be honest, if Johnson hadn't come out yesterday and told everyone they could go to the Maniqui on the 21st June we'd all be sitting here thinking that what she said sounds pretty reasonable.

Bit of an anticlimax that tbh. Very much a roadmap to getting to what is essentially Stage 2 in England, a couple of weeks after them, with nothing to indicate what may happen next.
You can argue about whether or not BJ's dates are realistic, but the destination is clear.
Fair.

It shows how far some folk have gone on this thread when you Sir are one of the more balanced posters. I never thought I'd see the day when half a dozen plus posters rocketed ahead of you in the roaster stakes.

Just now, Steven W said:

That's not true though.

In the Scottish tier system if you're in tier 3 or 4 you can't leave your LA (i.e. you can't visit relatives in a park who happen to live in a different LA) - but that isn't the case in England

That's assuming the Tiers stay the same as what they were pre-vaccination.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yes, this is the impression I get.

I think deep down she believes that Boris has fucked it and will inevitably need to go back on his word. The impression I get is that she doesn't want to do that.

Why would he have fcked it? By then the most vulnerable and elderly will be double dosed on the vaccine. I really dont care if somebody outwith those categories has to stay in bed for a few days. Deaths and ICU numbers should be all that matters by then. All this "to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed" bs seems to be replaced by "to prevent any sod getting covid at all"