Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I agree 100% but it's disingenuous for the PM to have a "measures gone by June" poster headline whilst somewhere underneath in the small print so to speak is "except possibly next winter"

Also his refusal to give an answer to an end of home working was a concern. It seems odd we could have the likes of Nightclubs and Pubs operating normally but he can't commit to returning to work premises. That just doesn't ring true to me.

He's a populist arsehole who bases every single thing he says on whether people will like him for saying it. Have you seen the footage of him literally telling people in norn irn to file any forms they may have to fill in after brexit in the bin, because there will be no forms, and he's the PM after all. 

Turns out there's shitloads of forms, but main thing is he got a few laughs and back pats on the night. 

c**t knew fine well how it would work. He doesn't give a shit, because when the lie is revealed he's nowhere to be seen. 

Apparently Devi has penned an article in the guardian praising the roadmap. That’s a curveball.

Or could it be that she’s that desperate to remain relevant that she will do anything to back the horse that she thinks Nicola will surely have to be on tomorrow?

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As opposed to you thinking you were an invincible superhero in supermarkets, on golf courses and everywhere else without facemasks back in March and April?

Given that barely any supermarket workers wore facemasks until they were mandatory and they seemed to get on ok Pozbaird wasn't exactly wrong was he?

And has he says barely anyone in the UK wears a mask with a safety rating. Every single cotton mask is utterly pointless and the vast majority of surgical style masks are unrated. That's why Germany has switched to real surgical masks on transport. 

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I get why folk are relieved and delighted to be given a bit of positive news but why the f**k is anyone believing a word Johnson says?

The c**t could tell me today was Monday and I'd check my newspaper.

Does the device you’re using not tell you what day it is?

Newspapers are so “old normal”

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I get why folk are relieved and delighted to be given a bit of positive news but why the f**k is anyone believing a word Johnson says?

It's our generations Churchill giving a victory speech after the Soviets won the war.

On balance a win.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Given that barely any supermarket workers wore facemasks until they were mandatory and they seemed to get on ok Pozbaird wasn't exactly wrong was he?

And has he says barely anyone in the UK wears a mask with a safety rating. Every single cotton mask is utterly pointless and the vast majority of surgical style masks are unrated. That's why Germany has switched to real surgical masks on transport. 

Apparently NHS Tayside are now insisting on surgical masks on their premises.  Haven’t seen the report but it was mentioned to me earlier.

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

So who should we believe then?

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The post had nothing to do with masks and everything to do with his attitude to the pandemic in its infancy last year.

18 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Boris is the hero to anti-lockdown, Brexit loving, "people of this country have had enough of experts" Tories.

Edited by Theroadlesstravelled

So in the absence of a yes I have to assume you agree it’s a no then.  Oxford may have compiled the stats but each individual country measures this in different ways.
You can show anything you want with individual statistics.  It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re arriving at a fact.
As a great man once said. quote-statistics-are-like-miniskirts-they-give-you-good-ideas-but-hide-the-important-things-ebbe-skovdahl-68-9-0994.jpeg

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The post had nothing to do with masks and everything to do with his attitude to the pandemic in its infancy last year.

He was right though. The people who were melting down about busy beaches and 50 cars parked in Strathclyde Park were the idiots. The third lockdown has been a lot more rational with less grassing up of neighbours or complete hysteria about the prospect of being infected. I can remember a poster on here saying he was scared to go on the Glasgow subway in the middle of the summer!

It'll be interesting to look back at the media coverage of the initial weeks at some point. The Lombardy coverage was obviously ludicrous but I also remember youngish people on social media and TV saying they had been infected and it was 3 or 4 days of hell. That kind of coverage obviously drove up the fear but probably led to loads of people with mild symptoms assuming they didn't have it and spreading it further. 

Edited by Detournement

Folk on here often bring up pozbairds lockdown trip with his wife as if it’s something worthy of outrage
I couldn’t give the slightest f**k and it’s beyond me how anyone else could. Utterly insignificant in the spread of covid if 2 people from the same household go to the same place
If you haven’t bent or broke the rules regularly I suggest you get a life

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He was right though. The people who were melting down about busy beaches and 50 cars parked in Strathclyde Park were the idiots. The third lockdown has been a lot more rational with less grassing up of neighbours or complete hysteria about the prospect of being infected. I can remember a poster on here saying he was scared to go on the Glasgow subway in the middle of the summer!

It'll be interesting to look back at the media coverage of the initial weeks at some point. The Lombardy coverage was obviously ludicrous but I also remember youngish people on social media and TV saying they had been infected and it was 3 or 4 days of hell. That kind of coverage obviously drove up the fear but probably led to loads of people with mild symptoms assuming they didn't have it and spreading it further. 

But that's applying information that we know today to justify decisions made back then. We didn't know all that much about the pandemic at that point - all we had to go on was the official advice.

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Folk on here often bring up pozbairds lockdown trip with his wife as if it’s something worthy of outrage
I couldn’t give the slightest f**k and it’s beyond me how anyone else could. Utterly insignificant in the spread of covid if 2 people from the same household go to the same place
If you haven’t bent or broke the rules regularly I suggest you get a life

You're an arsehole though.

The amount of hours of my life i lost last year trying to calm my hysterical partner was outrageous
As soon as the china news started ramping up then onto Italy she was convinced it meant certain death and the end of society

40 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
47 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
I agree 100% but it's disingenuous for the PM to have a "measures gone by June" poster headline whilst somewhere underneath in the small print so to speak is "except possibly next winter"

Also his refusal to give an answer to an end of home working was a concern. It seems odd we could have the likes of Nightclubs and Pubs operating normally but he can't commit to returning to work premises. That just doesn't ring true to me.

Surely he is going to put that squarely in the hands of employers?

He tried that before, backed by the Mail and former head of the CBI, as some sort of emotional blackmail to save Pret a Manger and Starbucks. All of the City's major employers ignored him and it was never mentioned again. I doubt he'd risk losing face, on this at least, a second time.