Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

The confidence on this thread placed in Johnson, statistically the worst leader in the western world in terms of deaths, is quite something.  

That would have a lot more weight to it if Sturgeon and her Government weren't also in the Champions League places after winning the Europa League among comparative sized nations for rates of death.

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Are we all expecting NS to announce practically the same stages but 2 or 3 weeks after England again? Or something wildly different? 

Wildly different. Beer gardens allowed with a maximum of 1 person from 0 households by November, but only if you are good and only with a 3 course meal.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

4 minutes ago, PWL said:

The confidence on this thread placed in Johnson, statistically the worst leader in the western world in terms of deaths, is quite something.  

Don't think Adrian Hasler has been mentioned in this thread tbh

20210222_184538.jpg

28 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Listened to clownshoes leitch on the way home so that's where I got the dates thing from. He seemed quite distanced from the uk approach and also dismissed the schools evidence as it was essential that they opened. Presenter, ex rugby guy, asked him why they were more important than old folks homes considering 14000 people had died without any support from families. 

Hes got a point, schools less important imo

I don't think he did dismiss the schools evidence. My recall is that he accepted schools going back would put transmission up and that as such would need to be monitored. A lot of what Leitch says irritates me but I don't think it's either correct or reasonable to say he dismissed the issue re schools reopening.

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

It’s nice reading all these stories of families being reunited etc but one of the first things I’ll be doing when things reopen is going to an old man boozer on my own, finding a quiet corner where I’ll spend the afternoon drinking pints of Tennents lager and watching the world go by. It’ll be enhanced somewhat, if they’ve got the horses in the telly and I can lose a few quid having a flutter.

My Nirvana, I can’t wait.

13 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I would definitely prefer less vague tests, but I suppose it gives them plenty of wriggle room. Wouldn't be surprised if the SG ones do have more specific figures tbh

I'd not be opposed to that, providing they are sensible, but mainly to ensure the SG stuck to them instead of getting ideas of #ZeroCovid and going down the "longer lock down for greater reward" road again if the figures once again get much lower much quicker than they expected.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Given the rates we saw in Scotland last summer, combined with greater immunity in the population and the quite incredible vaccines, there should be even less excuses for restrictions north of the border come June or July.

Edited by Elixir

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Given the rates we saw in Scotland last summer, combined with greater immunity in the population and the quite incredible vaccines, there should he even less excuses for restrictions north of the border come June or July.

Good point. It's one thing to talk about when we can vaccinate everyone in the top 9 JCVI groups, but it shouldn't be forgotten that there will be considerable levels of immunity via infection among the remaining groups.

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

Sorry, you've cherry picked one specific cause of death over a very short period of time from one month ago.

Please try again.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sorry, you've cherry picked one specific cause of death

COVID-19.

over a very short period of time.

The standard unit of time used to identify trends throughout the pandemic.

Please try again.

Gutterball.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Given the rates we saw in Scotland last summer, combined with greater immunity in the population and the quite incredible vaccines, there should be even less excuses for restrictions north of the border come June or July.

That's true, but we're looking at a completely different mindset from the SG compared to 12 months ago. 

I'm happy to accept their 'data led' approach, but only if that works both ways.....that it's not only negative data that influences policy. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Steven W said:
After that by Johson,  tomorrow is shaping up to be Sturgeon's biggest day as FM. 

Seriously ???

Yes. Johnson has went big and bold, but with necessary and sensible caveats.

Sturgeon has a track record of being very careful and cautious. Tomorrow is an opportunity for her to lift the mood of the nation. The vaccines are going to be a big success, so she should act accordingly with the road map.