Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

That "there will be no zero covid" line almost brought a tear to my eye. Finally, sense. I basically despise everything the tories stand for but Boris seems to have gotten that spot on. Cautious reopening but an acknowledgement that life has to be worth living again. 

Also, 10k in stadiums from May. 

A bit like zero flu? 

Snap. Even the words of Boris Johnson have positively affected my mood and outlook today. That's really fucking saying something.
For me, and theres a possible element of hope rather than expectation, that what we seen today is the first break from under the cover of "we just don't know....." bullshit around the vaccines. Getting out in front of the data making it blindingly obvious to all that the vaccines are racing ahead of any half arsed measures in place in terms of virus suppression.

For the first time ever we haven’t been given this post covid new normal bollox . Thank f**k indeed

I don’t see how this aspect isn’t cautious tbh. There is no justification whatsoever for us being a month or any period of time behind any of this. 

If this isn’t cautious, I would be scared of what a cautious approach looked like. Nothing until June...

A6A59780-FE7F-4651-AE5A-8C5999629A32.png

Looks like a few posters on here are going to be absolutely beelin if the plans by Bojo actually work out alright.   I think we have all suffered enough that irrespective of who it is offering hope and a plan we just want to get back to normality and for it to work as soon as possible.   It's beyond politics for me and for the majority of a country that have suffered over a year of disruption to their lifes.   Johnson may well be wrong, hell he usually is but by christ I hope his plans are right this time.   The more positive tweets coming for Leitch et al today are also encouraging in relation to the vaccines and hospitalisations.

Vaccines are the key quite simply and if we keep firing them out and we continue to see the excellent results then we will get there thankfully.

Edited by Tynierose

6 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Is that not basically how politics works? 

Believe it or not, up till about 5 years ago, when politicians lied they generally were accountable for it, some even ended up fired or forced to resign. Not all of them granted, but it was rare someone would lie with impunity, be believed, lie some more, get voted in, lie even more, get found out, lie yet more, and then people would then fall over themselves to believe the latest bullshit. 

Wild so many great minds keep falling for it 🤷‍♂️ 

Feel in a good mood because of what was said but genuinely think that putting dates on when things will happen is so stupid. What if people go and book holidays or businesses make plans only for another round of restrictions to come in?

It's like they want people to spend regardless of what happens like Christmas. I'm very sceptical, it will get better but it can't be as black and white as what BJ is saying.

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Believe it or not, up till about 5 years ago... it was rare someone would lie with impunity, be believed, lie some more, get voted in, lie even more, get found out, lie yet more, and then people would then fall over themselves to believe the latest bullshit. 

I mean, people belive NS's annual "Roadmap to IndyRef2" pledges, so i'm not sure this is quite the home run you think it is.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Believe it or not, up till about 5 years ago, when politicians lied they generally were accountable for it, some even ended up fired or forced to resign. Not all of them granted, but it was rare someone would lie with impunity, be believed, lie some more, get voted in, lie even more, get found out, lie yet more, and then people would then fall over themselves to believe the latest bullshit. 

Watch hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis nobody knows what's real anymore or how to fix it so we are stuck in some sort of fantasy world where nothing happens and politicians and leaders lie all the time and nobody is sure what the truth is.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Feel in a good mood because of what was said but genuinely think that putting dates on when things will happen is so stupid. What if people go and book holidays or businesses make plans only for another round of restrictions to come in?

It's like they want people to spend regardless of what happens like Christmas. I'm very sceptical, it will get better but it can't be as black and white as what BJ is saying.

This is precisely why most of these dates they have said "not before" rather than "by".

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

They are "No earlier than" dates, though.

It's a reasonably cautious approach, built around wide gaps between significant steps. Wouldnt expect too different from Sturgeon tomorrow, except that it will likely be couched in terms of technical criteria around hospitalisations, deaths and case loads to at least keep the facade that it is "data, not dates"

Looks like a few posters on here are going to be absolutely beelin if the plans by Bojo actually work out alright.   I think we have all suffered enough that irrespective of who it is offering hope and a plan we just want to get back to normality and for it to work as soon as possible.   It's beyond politics for me and for the majority of a country that have suffered over a year of disruption to their lifes.   Johnson may well be wrong, hell he usually is but by christ I hope his lans are right this time
Vaccines are the key quite simply and if we keep firing them out and we continue to see the excellent results then we will get there thankfully.
If they work out that's fine - I just don't trust someone whose previous "it will be over by" predictions have been proven to be bullshit.

We were told this was data not dates - yet he proceeds to do exactly the opposite of that.

I would prefer if it were something measurable - the previous attempts at opening up in England were driven by headline grabbing - only for them to row back when they fucked up.

Just now, renton said:

It's a reasonably cautious approach, built around wide gaps between significant steps. Wouldnt expect too different from Sturgeon tomorrow, except that it will likely be couched in terms of technical criteria around hospitalisations, deaths and case loads to at least keep the facade that it is "data, not dates"

I'm not sure. The last thing she'll want to do is end up in a situation where the data catches her out (as it did last year) by dropping so quickly.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Sure, if you want to construct a strawman you're bang on

Forgot that anything which didn't blow smoke up the SG's arse didn't count. Apologies, as you were...

Edited by Todd_is_God