Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, true_rover said:
10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:
See, they keep saying that. End of May is about 100 days away. About 3m first doses to go in Scotland (and that would represent in excess of a 95% uptake). 30k first doses a day between now and then does it.
I assume that given Scotland and England are broadly in the same place and have broadly the same demographics and vaccine capacity that that pace would apply to England as well.
Entirely dependent on supply and probably a slight increase in capacity to allow for second doses at the same time, but it isn’t unrealistic at all. I rather suspect that BoJo’s plan - to ditch pretty much everything on June 21 - somewhat relies on everyone having had one dose by the end of May.

Not that it isn't possible, but you need to take into account people getting second doses as well, which are starting to creep up a little.

Literally what I said in the last paragraph. But note that even if the average capacity from now til end of May was only 50k a day - below what we are capable of - we’d get over 2m second doses delivered by that time at an average 30k first dose 20k second dose split.

In reality if won’t work like that - we don’t have to do many second AZ doses at all until well into April for example - but the capacity to do both is there.

Supply is the question, nothing else.

Very big day for Sturgeon tomorrow. I have absolutely zero faith that the 21st June ‘data not dates’ date will met. Sturgeon probably doesn’t either. Johnson has been wrong about quite literally everything in this pandemic, it’s optimistic to say the least that he’ll be right this time.

But the scenario facing Sturgeon is that she is a bit more pragmatic and removes that hope and says it’s not happening, unless things go better than expected. Heads gone on this thread and I’m sure much of the population too. Or she commits to the date and likely misses it as well.

I think she’ll go down the middle. Some vague platitudes about hoping for similar timeframes to England but ‘retaining the right to slow down based on data’, ‘see how we are nearer the time’ etc etc.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Donathan said:

You realise that the entire population will have a first dose by the end of May?

Is that the plan now. Didn't realise it had been brought forward that much.

Is it not the case that JCVI groups 1-4 will have been double dosed by then, as well as groups 5-9 have been offered a single dose?

Given how effective 1 dose has been in groups 1-4, and that almost all serious cases occur in groups 1-9, there is no reason why this plan can't happen. The timeline here is the first hint of confidence being placed in the vaccines, rather than "we just don't know"

Vaccinating the remaining adults is a good idea, but will have next to no impact on hospitalisations or deaths.

Edited by Todd_is_God

25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I dont think it achieved anything. Big stadiums running at 300/400/500 capacities whilst only having one stand open was just an exercise to appease sports chiefs to make it seem like they were doing something to get fans back 

That wasn't what I asked but okay. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ad Lib seems to be going troll here?

Anyway re Harvie, he needs to be reminded that as well as there being no credible path to zero covid, theres also no credible reason to seek one, which is the more relevant point tbh

The musings of Patrick Harvie are only even remotely relevant for as long as the SNP need the Greens onside in Holyrood.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Very big day for Sturgeon tomorrow. I have absolutely zero faith that the 21st June ‘data not dates’ date will met. Sturgeon probably doesn’t either. Johnson has been wrong about quite literally everything in this pandemic, it’s optimistic to say the least that he’ll be right this time.

But the scenario facing Sturgeon is that she is a bit more pragmatic and removes that hope and says it’s not happening, unless things go better than expected. Heads gone on this thread and I’m sure much of the population too. It’s be hard to take and. Or she commits to the date and likely misses it as well.

I think she’ll go down the middle. Some vague platitudes about hoping for similar timeframes to England but ‘retaining the right to slow down based on data’, ‘see how we are nearer the time’ etc etc.

I think she would be mad to suggest 21st June, if I was her I would say July for normality. Boris is promising a lot but if the buy in drops for vaccinations then there is no chance you could let all restrictions go. I think he needed a big head line to bury the fact his fiance appears to be running the country and the health minister broke the law.

NS would be far better to say we need X number in ICU and X in hospitals and we can do X if it declines by X we can move it X we therefore expect with some caution and 80% vaccine take up we can ditch restrictions by X (Late July) 

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Patrick Harvie makes some perfectly sensible points there.

You're all being a little bit too emotional. Perhaps you're unsuitable to be given the vote.

Your view on how "sensible" or otherwise they are will depend on your views of "zero covid" as an outcome versus quality of life, economic ruin and a litany of other health problems under lengthier restrictions.

If he is on the side of the former rather than the latter then that doesn't align with my own views so I won't vote for the Greens.

We have just released a Higher/AH prelim schedule based on an assumption (and it is nothing more than that) that we'll be back 15th March, prelims to be completed pre-Easter. A second prelim block to follow in mid-late May.
With the S4 N5 prelims being restricted to one larger assessment and taking place after Easter. Obviously a couple of weeks to aid revision won't be wasted.
I use the word prelim out of habit of course; it's nothing of the sort. 
Our school is is planning a return for all Senior Phase pupils but still on a part-time timetable - one 2.5 hour slot per subject per week.