Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Tomorrow will be very interesting depending on what NS lays out for Scotland.  She did suggest this afternoon that she had been briefed on Johnson's plans and that ours were broadly similar.  I don't want to get my hopes up, I suspect she'll still push for "zero covid", so I expect it will largely be the same things but on a much more spread out scale.  

What I do think will happen though, on the back of today's news, is that impact of vaccinations will kick in throughout the easing.  As many have said, if Sturgeon is true to her word she should be sticking to the data as a guide and not being influenced by advisers who may be pouting that their advice is being ignored.  If, and that's a big if, she does this then we should be matching England's loosening of restrictions. 

The fact that Johnson has ruled out zero-covid means that we won't be able to achieve it, for exactly the same reason that Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar ruled it out in Ireland.  NS didn't want to forcibly close the border last summer and I doubt she would have anywhere near the same justification to do so this time round, if the vaccines continue to work as they are showing that they are.  Whether Leitch, Sridhar or even Sturgeon like it or not, it's no longer a viable option.

Guest bernardblack

It’s unfortunately lose-lose for Nicola tomorrow. 
If she follows the big bumbling posh daft lad who I wouldn’t trust with a pair of scissors....and it doesn’t work out then she wasn’t strict enough.

If she doesn’t match it or ease restrictions quicker then it’s her holding us back. 
A truly unenviable position for her. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

So no foreign holidays until we've offered everyone the vaccine.

That's pretty much what people on here have been suggesting might / should be the case.

Maybe people should be able to travel before then if they have been vaccinated / quarantine on return. But they are going to wait a bit to see more real world results before making that decision i'd say.

I think it's more about public attitudes than safety. 

Pensioners swanning off abroad while key workers are stuck in the UK isn't going to go down well. There would be no chance of compliance on future emergency lockdowns if that had happened. 

It would also create a fairly unpleasant scramble for the vaccine. 

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
22 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Another beat down from BoZo and one of his (old) backbenchers towards the #ZeroCovid headcases. PowttJS.gif&key=86b1df2ddb116b2c7bcfc4f72b4c17413dea86721a87dd9716a14eac32705031
Seeing more realism and pragmatism from the party I have hated all my life, compared with the party I have supported all my life, is troubling to say the least - and depressing in equal measure.

Bar an admission ZC is impossible there was nothing else remotely realistic in a word the buffoon said. Do you really think those dates are at all achievable ?

If you remove the obsession with getting cases as low as possible, then yes, tbh.

Just now, super_carson said:

Tomorrow will be very interesting depending on what NS lays out for Scotland.  She did suggest this afternoon that she had been briefed on Johnson's plans and that ours were broadly similar.  I don't want to get my hopes up, I suspect she'll still push for "zero covid", so I expect it will largely be the same things but on a much more spread out scale.  

There is no feasible way she can chase zero covid now, absolutely none. She'll admit this tomorrow.

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

What I do think will happen though, on the back of today's news, is that impact of vaccinations will kick in throughout the easing.  As many have said, if Sturgeon is true to her word she should be sticking to the data as a guide and not being influenced by advisers who may be pouting that their advice is being ignored.  If, and that's a big if, she does this then we should be matching England's loosening of restrictions. 

The fact that Johnson has ruled out zero-covid means that we won't be able to achieve it, for exactly the same reason that Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar ruled it out in Ireland.  NS didn't want to forcibly close the border last summer and I doubt she would have anywhere near the same justification to do so this time round, if the vaccines continue to work as they are showing that they are.  Whether Leitch, Sridhar or even Sturgeon like it or not, it's no longer a viable option.

Aye. The horse has now bolted whether NS likes it or not. The border issue, coupled witht he fact that Boris has now effectively let the cat out the bag re putting faith in the vaccines and correctly so. The people of Scotland aren't going to sit back and have no lives whilst rUK gets back to it.

Social distancing isn't in the law anyway (except that businesses have to ensure their premises are COVID secure compliant). The 2 metre rule etc is guidance for individuals.

Haw sir, yesterday I’m calling you a c**t and now i need to agree with you, playin at !

Beat me to it, there is no law requiring you to stay 2 meters apart from anyone. It only becomes law when premises must use it decide on capacity limits and seating layouts

I don’t think the guidelines or capacity limits will be automatically dropped when they reach the final stage

JL on Radio Scotland saying zero Covid is unlikely for a long, long, long time.

But then adding that it's still something the world should aim for.

Sounds like me and my ego when I’m trying to tell my mrs that I’m still kind of right even after I’ve conceded and admitted that she is in fact, right

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't pay much attention to the rugby test events, but was it not about 300 people in a small section of the stadium? 

They quoted about 500/600  when press and SRU staff were factored in, more likely about 300/400  fans and yeah they were in one small section. I dont know why they even bothered 

56 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

In 6 months time there wont be any restrictions at all if you believe Boris.

Why should there be? By then the most vulnerable will have had their two vaccine doses. Absolute wild that restrictions were brought in to prevent the NHS being "overwhelmed" yet now seem to be in place to stop anyone getting Covid

It’s unfortunately lose-lose for Nicola tomorrow. 
If she follows the big bumbling posh daft lad who I wouldn’t trust with a pair of scissors....and it doesn’t work out then she wasn’t strict enough.
If she doesn’t match it or ease restrictions quicker then it’s her holding us back. 
A truly unenviable position for her. 

There’s definitely a game of poker going on between them. Each one desperately needs the other to f**k up disastrously whilst also making sure they don’t do so themselves

If sturgeon keeps us locked down while they open up, there won’t be a resurgence of cases here but thats the only guarantee.
If there is a surge in England that forces boris to backpedal then her gambles paid off and she looks the competent one
If there isn’t then she sacrificed alot for nothing and won’t be popular as patience will finally run out- but that won’t affect her election prospects