Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, FFCinthearea said:

And all because of those manky bus drivers who don't know how to wash their hands or sanitise steering wheels and gearsticks.

at least first bus done the right thing and closed the canteen, nothing to do with the virus, the c***s just looked about 30 stone

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Lockdown til the end of March would be very similar to England. With the exception of all schools going back on March 8th, it seems the ‘relaxations’ there will simply bring them to where we currently are in Scotland already.

Little will change before April. More school kids on March 15th seems a certainty. That apart, nothing. That’s been signalled for weeks. Not saying I’m a fan of it but it isn’t a surprise.

Shite, but not really any different to what we’re expecting to see elsewhere in the UK either

Yip i played golf this morning with a mate which is currently banned down south which is a reversal from last year where there courses opened up 2 weeks before up here 

42 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

This is disingenuous pish. The concerns about vaccine effectiveness are not about the Kent variant, which is more transmissible but thought to be covered effectively by the main existing vaccines. The concerns are about the South African variant, and the prospects of similar mutations emerging during the vaccine roll-out and becoming the prevalent variant transmitting through the community.

The initial evidence for the South African variant is that it may make the vaccines we already have less effective. This has been covered exhaustively in the media: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55534727. The lesser effectiveness might be sufficiently severe to mean that a lot of vulnerable people who have already been vaccinated have to be vaccinated again far sooner, once Pfeizer and AZ have successfully tweaked and tested their existing vaccines and produced enough new doses to address the new variants. Public health restrictions would ensure reduced transmission of more resistant variants, and make it easier to implement effective test and tracing, and buy us much more time to update the vaccines if required.

You've obviously not been following this thread mate. 

Oh no Covid numbers in hospital up since yesterday. Keep everything shut!!!!

Hospital numbers up by 9 with 1141 today compared to 1132 yesterday. I fully expect someone to highlight this in a cautionary way while ignoring the fact that the number is down by 287 in the last week and down by 912 in a month since the peak number on 22nd January.

ICU numbers unchanged from yesterday at 99, though again note they were at 161 one month ago.

Great progress.

33 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Little point getting them in for two weeks then it’s the holidays. Move spring holiday last two weeks March and turf turn in after Easter weekend but doubt that is a goer.

I think the two weeks would be quite handy from what the teachers told us before. The biggest issue from our teachers from what they told us was that the kids had 'lost' the ability to be taught along with others and in a similar pace - they had to be retaught to be in school and learn in a large group again. A few weeks back before some time off and then back in post Easter might be easier for the kids (and teachers) to handle.

As i say it's what we've been told from our school but i'm sure others will be different

2 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

I think the two weeks would be quite handy from what the teachers told us before. The biggest issue from our teachers from what they told us was that the kids had 'lost' the ability to be taught along with others and in a similar pace - they had to be retaught to be in school and learn in a large group again. A few weeks back before some time off and then back in post Easter might be easier for the kids (and teachers) to handle.

As i say it's what we've been told from our school but i'm sure others will be different

Does "lost the ability to be taught" translate as "the wee fuckers were so hyper we couldn't control them"?

Falkirk Council have now backed down and said that all P1-P3 pupils can now return full-time, and not just the ones without disabilities that are easier to look after.

They've reversed this decision after speaking with "Public health" (their exact words).

In reality, what's happened is that someone has realised they've massive fucked up so they've concocted this discussion with "public health" so they can try to save face without losing face.

17 minutes ago, madwullie said:

You've obviously not been following this thread mate. 

I for one am shocked that the P&B das think that the experts don't know what they're talking about and that the #NippySweetie wants to create a #PoliceState.

9 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

We have just released a Higher/AH prelim schedule based on an assumption (and it is nothing more than that) that we'll be back 15th March, prelims to be completed pre-Easter. A second prelim block to follow in mid-late May.

With the S4 N5 prelims being restricted to one larger assessment and taking place after Easter. Obviously a couple of weeks to aid revision won't be wasted.

I use the word prelim out of habit of course; it's nothing of the sort. 

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thanks.

I mean around a 67% drop DURING a period when the most vulnerable groups are still being vaccinated so not yet all immune. I'd say this is a massively significant drop.

It's almost as though we're in a lockdown.

43 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
45 minutes ago, David W said:

I'm fairly sure it is the end of March given they need to get through the next few priority groups etc

They don't need to do anything of the sort to lift an infringement on basic civil liberties. The emergency emergency is over and simply not demanding that people stay inside is not going to kill thousands of people and overwhelm the NHS. 

This should be the first thing lifted and it is absolutely ridiculous that we're firing even Primary 1-3 kids into classrooms again without lifting the most invasive policy of the current lockdown, never mind letting it run for another five weeks without review. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

They don't need to do anything of the sort to lift an infringement on basic civil liberties. The emergency emergency is over and simply not demanding that people stay inside is not going to kill thousands of people and overwhelm the NHS. 

This should be the first thing lifted and it is absolutely ridiculous incidentally that we're firing even Primary 1-3 kids into classrooms again without lifting the most invasive policy of the current lockdown, never mind letting it run for another five weeks without review. 

I'd be tempted to lift lockdown just so you'd spend less time on this website, tbqh.