Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think people should be compelled to undergo medical treatment based on how the government distributes it.

No-one of right mind should be compelled to undergo medical treatment.

the preservation of life argument doesn’t wash for me.  Women are  allowed to choose to terminate a life with no medical reason at all.  How can we say this section of society has the right to absolutely terminate life but this other section isn’t allowed to potentially risk life?

3 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I agree. I am arguing for coercion. Mandatory vaccination.

It's really not complicated. It's a sheet of paper saying you've been vaccinated or are exempt.

Mandatory vaccination is illegal under ECHR.  

Blair's plan involves biometrics and digital IDs. If it's just paper all you have to do is borrow one to go to a gig.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Nightclubs in August would surely mean social distancing canned by then? I suppose that ties in with their aim to have every adult to be given at least one dose by end of July. 

Would also mean fans back in stadiums with full capacity by then. Which ties in with them offering to host the Euro’s. 

Roadmap for England apparently: 

March 8th: Golf/Tennis

Mid April: Gyms

May: Cinemas/Theatre/Indoor Pubs/Restaurants.

August: Foreign holidays/Nightclubs

Can see the SG doing similar.
This seems wildly optimistic given the language everyone has been using so far, but would make sense if they are in possession of solid UK data about vaccine efficacy/impact so far.

Absolutely no one gives a f**k about tennis though and we already have golf, so just pop gyms in there please. Or even outdoor group exercise.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

"The rank and file political class"

I think it's you who's been on the bevvy.

Sadly not. 

Given that you have done a tour of duty as  electoral cannon fodder and apparently work in Westminster at the service of MPs and their staff it seems like a fair description.

After some of the doom and gloom "lockdown until Autumn" suggestions that were flying about at the beginning of the week, I'd take that.

I expect the Scottish approach will be a lot more cautious right enough.

I was reading a story about some Church that's been fined for having a 'service' in what appears to be an ALDI car park. The more I read it the more absolutely SEETHING I got that wackjob sky-fairy worshippers are allowed to go to services anyway.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sadly not. 

Given that you have done a tour of duty as  electoral cannon fodder and apparently work in Westminster at the service of MPs and their staff it seems like a fair description.

Excuse me for not knowing the details of every poster but am I to gather here that the proponent of forced vaccinations works for the Lib Dems in Westminster?  That’s some viewpoint for a supposedly liberal person to be holding 😂

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

On the contrary. Let those who are refusing to take the vaccine against medical advice starve.

Once we reach that stage there won't be any furlough, you workshy vagrant.

We don't yet know what proportion of the population need to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved. This figure is variable and may be higher for certain variants than others.

I don't give a shit about "polling". I give a shit about what actually happens. You cannot project the behaviour of a cohort, a significant proportion of which are in care homes to the population at large.

If you took the care to read literally the first thing I said on the matter I said that those who refuse to take the vaccine against medical advice should be ostracised; not those who have medical justification for not having taken it. Any vaccine passport would be able to accommodate exempt persons.

You should be required to show your papers because it proves you are complying with public health guidance, and therefore that you are complying with the steps that are considered medically advisable to protect the population at large. Your liberties are less important than the health of the population as a whole.

This health crisis is going to carry on well into 2022. Unless we literally shut out entire continents from travel into Europe, the virus is going to continue to mutate and to produce highly infectious variants, some of which will resist the vaccines we're handing out at the moment better than current variants.

The reason for this is straightforward: we simply aren't getting vaccines out quickly enough on a global scale. By the time parts of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, have got anywhere close to vaccine take-up in the region needed for herd immunity, we cannot say with confidence that the vaccines we encouraged everyone to take in the first half of 2021 are going to be effective when someone coughs their way through customs from Johannesburg.

Consistently the mistake our governments have made is not to lock down hard enough or early enough, and there's an even bigger risk of that if people go "oh shut up we've got to learn to live with it". This is going to be a global problem for several years yet, and it runs a serious risk of flare-ups in the western world because international travel exists and all it takes is one person to slip through the net and you have the South African variant all over again.

The funniest thing about this post will be when @pawpar gives it a green circle at 2am

14 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

That sounds brilliant. 

I thought they were being driven by data not dates though? 

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

After some of the doom and gloom "lockdown until Autumn" suggestions that were flying about at the beginning of the week, I'd take that.

I expect the Scottish approach will be a lot more cautious right enough.

Pubs might be allowed by November up here. 

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Excuse me for not knowing the details of every poster but am I to gather here that the proponent of forced vaccinations works for the Lib Dems in Westminster?  That’s some viewpoint for a supposedly liberal person to be holding 😂

When the lovely Laura Knuessberg retweeted him I think he was working in the Commons library.

18 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Err, yes we do and can:

Except as the replies to Balloux point out, his assumptions here (50% overlap and 90% reduction of transmission) aren't necessarily right.

This is misinformed psycho talk which doesn't even merit debate.

You could, of course, have drawn attention to the rest of his thread, which points out that we won't know for a while yet how long vaccines provide immunity and that we're still learning about how seasonal COVID-19 is.

Funny you omitted those points.

Of course, this fits rather nicely with the fact that global cases are plumetting, including in South Africa and India:

It's almost as though South Africa implemented a stringent lockdown in December and that lockdowns have been imposed in the major population centres in India in recent months. Of course, the proper roll-out of vaccines in South Africa isn't even expected to start until April.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

That sounds brilliant. 

I thought they were being driven by data not dates though? 

Was there not something in the news this week that they’d done yet another u-turn and were going with dates? Im hoping they’ve finally been given hard evidence of the vaccines cutting transmission and have realised they can do away with the fear mongering. I’ll wait until Boris’ announcement tomorrow night before getting my hopes up though.