Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'd personally advocate barring lockdownphiles from entering public places until at least mid 2022 tbh.

Given they don't want them to open, and want to be kept safe anyway, i'm sure they'd have no complaints...

Edited by Todd_is_God

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56145392

I wonder how long it will take for them to admit that, despite not knowing how much transmission is interrupted, it is going to be a lot, i.e. by at least two thirds and possibly as high as 90%, as publications this week have shown.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Case numbers might not matter. But no getting away from Wales flown passed us, Northern Ireland catching us.  Even England might go past us on current trajectory.

All three had much higher peaks in cases earlier. Might be reflection on higher antibody presence in those countries now, and all 3 are shallowing out now.

Edited by renton

I'd be wary of making comparisons based on current levels. England was miles above Scotland in terms of peak and also bear in mind it peaked around a week-ten days after Scotland did. 

Perhaps Scotland just has a higher 'natural' level based on ongoing activity than Wales does. Look at what's happened in England again for example - despite the South going haywire as the home of the Kent variant, it is now once again the lowest in England, back where it was prior to December. The natural level is probably lower because of a much higher office-based workforce than the rest of England. 

England is still going down but will find its level in the next week or so I imagine. Golf courses may well be shut but nurseries have remained open, which I gather they haven't in Scotland. 

Edited by Michael W

44 minutes ago, Left Back said:

OK mate.  Let the unvaccinated starve.  Did you ever think of running for office?

On the contrary. Let those who are refusing to take the vaccine against medical advice starve.

36 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Happy days. Means I don't need to go to work until I've had it. Result. Hopefully I get the furlough and enjoy some time off 

Once we reach that stage there won't be any furlough, you workshy vagrant.

19 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Err, no. Polling is quite clear that anywhere from 80-90% of the population in the UK are willing to take the vaccine, which fits with the 95%+ of over 70s who already have. As projections indicate, the rollout will conclude by late summer. The pandemic phase will likely be more or less at an end by then in the northern hemisphere anyway.

We don't yet know what proportion of the population need to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved. This figure is variable and may be higher for certain variants than others.

I don't give a shit about "polling". I give a shit about what actually happens. You cannot project the behaviour of a cohort, a significant proportion of which are in care homes to the population at large.

This discussion wasn't about international travel, but in the short to medium term it is a measure that will likely end up happening, but if it does away with the need for quarantine and testing, it will make life easier. Long-term, however, it should not be necessary.

Which brings us to this. Not every person is able to be vaccinated: pregnant women, those with autoimmune conditions, and so on. What do you propose, we just treat these people like the 'anti-vaxx scum' and cut them out of society? Indeed, why should I or anyone who has been vaccinated have to be subjected to being treated in this way?

If you took the care to read literally the first thing I said on the matter I said that those who refuse to take the vaccine against medical advice should be ostracised; not those who have medical justification for not having taken it. Any vaccine passport would be able to accommodate exempt persons.

You should be required to show your papers because it proves you are complying with public health guidance, and therefore that you are complying with the steps that are considered medically advisable to protect the population at large. Your liberties are less important than the health of the population as a whole.

Of course, there is a reason why many scientists and indeed the Royal Society just this week highlighted how problematic this idea is. The acute health crisis is not going to last long enough to make it worthwhile in any form.

Out of interest, do you have posters of Tony Blair in your bedroom?

This health crisis is going to carry on well into 2022. Unless we literally shut out entire continents from travel into Europe, the virus is going to continue to mutate and to produce highly infectious variants, some of which will resist the vaccines we're handing out at the moment better than current variants.

The reason for this is straightforward: we simply aren't getting vaccines out quickly enough on a global scale. By the time parts of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, have got anywhere close to vaccine take-up in the region needed for herd immunity, we cannot say with confidence that the vaccines we encouraged everyone to take in the first half of 2021 are going to be effective when someone coughs their way through customs from Johannesburg.

Consistently the mistake our governments have made is not to lock down hard enough or early enough, and there's an even bigger risk of that if people go "oh shut up we've got to learn to live with it". This is going to be a global problem for several years yet, and it runs a serious risk of flare-ups in the western world because international travel exists and all it takes is one person to slip through the net and you have the South African variant all over again.

57 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

The same should also apply to Sainsbury's, football stadiums and GP surgeries. No ID, no compliance with the medical advice on the vaccine? No admittance. For as long as people who aren't vaccinated pose a risk that is greater than those who are not vaccinated, and for as long as vaccinations are in fact available to them, they should not be allowed to take part in society.

Tony Blair's not going to shag you M8

3 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I mean... a month would be nice off. Or I keep getting told from my employers I am lucky I have a job ( let's not give a shit about my health) while we have 40+ temps still. 

Edited by Robin.Hood

1 minute ago, The Naitch said:

Surprised that England are potentially prioritising beer gardens before non-essential retail can open.

My prediction, Scotland follows this but inverts the shopping and beer garden thing but with it being a week behind England so that the clownshoes collective can show just how ‘cautious’ they are being. 

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

On the contrary. Let those who are refusing to take the vaccine against medical advice starve.

We don't yet know what proportion of the population need to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved. This figure is variable and may be higher for certain variants than others.

I don't give a shit about "polling". I give a shit about what actually happens. You cannot project the behaviour of a cohort, a significant proportion of which are in care homes to the population at large.

If you took the care to read literally the first thing I said on the matter I said that those who refuse to take the vaccine against medical advice should be ostracised; not those who have medical justification for not having taken it. Any vaccine passport would be able to accommodate exempt persons.

You should be required to show your papers because it proves you are complying with public health guidance, and therefore that you are complying with the steps that are considered medically advisable to protect the population at large. Your liberties are less important than the health of the population as a whole.

This health crisis is going to carry on well into 2022. Unless we literally shut out entire continents from travel into Europe, the virus is going to continue to mutate and to produce highly infectious variants, some of which will resist the vaccines we're handing out at the moment better than current variants.

The reason for this is straightforward: we simply aren't getting vaccines out quickly enough on a global scale. By the time parts of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, have got anywhere close to vaccine take-up in the region needed for herd immunity, we cannot say with confidence that the vaccines we encouraged everyone to take in the first half of 2021 are going to be effective when someone coughs their way through customs from Johannesburg.

Consistently the mistake our governments have made is not to lock down hard enough or early enough, and there's an even bigger risk of that if people go "oh shut up we've got to learn to live with it". This is going to be a global problem for several years yet, and it runs a serious risk of flare-ups in the western world because international travel exists and all it takes is one person to slip through the net and you have the South African variant all over again.

You’re a fucking idiot.

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

You should be required to show your papers because it proves you are complying with public health guidance, and therefore that you are complying with the steps that are considered medically advisable to protect the population at large.

I think "guidance" becomes "coercion" when you are forced to comply with it. 

Bootlickers who tweet Laura Knuessberg are going to love this but hopefully when ordinary people start to understand what building this infrastructure means there will be huge resistance.

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

This country is utterly obsessed with pretending we are still a global military power. There's absolutely no way Trident won't be renewed.

I know the media have a huge part to play basically showing anyone who wouldn't fire it at will as being unfit for office. 

If we are such a big super power why haven't we threatened to invade China if they don't shut down their "re-education camps"

Anyway back on topic. Covid eh, I'm scunnered with it.

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Transmission is something like 30 times less likely outdoors than indoors. 

Aye there is no reason to have outdoor activities restricted after the first easement, you would have to be properly unlucky to get Covid.