Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

My perception is that the majority of people are still on board with harsh restrictions. Old people especially are risk averse and continue to believe that lockdown is necessary until the government says it isn't necessary. **

**This isn't my personal opinion and is only based on anecdotal evidence and conversations with my 85 year old parents. However, I think every recent poll points to the fact that a majority of people support continuous and severe restrictions.

I'd like to think it's only 'supported' because paradoxically they think it's the way out of all this, even if they don't actually like the restrictions. Of course, the vaccine should change that one way or another.

I also wonder what support would be like if their jobs were on the line if it's not lifted soon, furlough or not.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Which would be largely irrelevant if you have been vaccinated.

No it wouldn’t because (a) vaccines are not 100% effective against transmission and (b) vaccines are not 100% effective against illness.

Thanks for playing.

5 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I wouldn’t because they won’t have been vaccinated!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there have been minimal COVID-19 cases linked to previous protests in the UK (whether it be anti-lockdown, BLM, or others. Also read the other day that few if any cases have been linked to the busy beaches in the south of England last summer.

The point is, if I'm willing to protest against the lockdown restrictions then it will be at a point where I believe them to be excessive. Therefore a large public gathering would IMO be much less risky from a transmission standpoint than the govt rules dictated.

However, in this hypothetical situation, I will admit I would very much be there to add to the numbers and would not be joining in with any plandemic/scamdemic/anti-vax pish.

Edited by Markka

My perception is that the majority of people are still on board with harsh restrictions. Old people especially are risk averse and continue to believe that lockdown is necessary until the government says it isn't necessary. **

**This isn't my personal opinion and is only based on anecdotal evidence and conversations with my 85 year old parents. However, I think every recent poll points to the fact that a majority of people support continuous and severe restrictions. 

Which is fair enough when it isn't their generation which will be paying for this.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I'd like to think it's only 'supported' because paradoxically they think it's the way out of all this, even if they don't actually like the restrictions. Of course, the vaccine should change that one way or another.

I also wonder what support would be like if their jobs were on the line if it's not lifted soon, furlough or not.

There was an article in the paper last week, and I think someone referenced it here, stating the fact that the British population are the biggest conformists in the western world. 

Nothing, nada, niks, not a thing, will persuade people to rise up and protest in any kind of significant numbers. 

Effectively, the government can force any shit, any restrictions, anything, on British people...and we'll accept it. I think that this will sadly continue to apply, regardless of the length of restrictions. 

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141128

Is Joe Bloggs 'allowed' to visit family members in hospital? I've no idea what the current 'rules' are.

You can't get into hospital as a precaution let alone visit someone who is in for a precaution. As someone who couldn't even get to the funeral of someone who died alone in hospital it's a massive kick in the bollocks.

Just now, Tynierose said:

Transmission only happens at sporting events, in pubs, gyms, restaurants, cinemas, nailbars and hairdressers.

You will be grand m8.

Eta libraries and bingo halls.

Had my nails varnished shocking pink for a bet years ago, but think I could give the nailbars a miss when they re-open.

Honestly can't wait until the pubs re-open, and I hope local sport gets an attendance boost once it is back on. Reminiscing of the halcyon days of superb away trips in the WOS/Junior Cup  brings a mixture of laughter and sadness at present.

Aye Greece, Portugal, Spain etc. are going to choose to blow up their regional economies and not let anyone in because a dentist from Airdrie says that 25 folk in 100k having a virus is too much for them to accept.

Hahahahahahaha what a fucking moron.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56137815

Some interesting comments.  I’m  sure a lot of this will be to do with his profit margins too, but interesting to hear someone explicitly call out scientists for not considering the wider impact of recessions on public health.   That said, it’s not scientists jobs to do that. It’s the responsibility of decision makers to listen to all the opinions and plot a way balanced way forward based on hearing all the evidence, which is what I think this guy is getting at.  

Leon is overpriced pretentious shite though. 

Edited by super_carson

If we’re still sitting in a lockdown of sorts in May with no way out on the horizon, there’ll need to be some big new scary problem, likely a variant, to scare people into submission I think. Vaccines change the landscape and change attitudes, I can’t control what businesses are open but won’t be paying any attention to social distancing with family and friends when we’re all vaccinated. If it isn’t ‘safe’ then, you genuinely need to ask if it’ll ever be?

Combined with Johnson promising freedom by Guy Fawkes night, a scary new variant would probably do the job for keeping the peasants in line through 2021. Polls throughout this have confirmed British people are authoritarian lunatics.

But we’re straying into conspiracy territory here. People are pissed off currently but if we power through for a bit longer, we’re out of the woods. We’re getting there.

Some interesting comments.  I’m  sure a lot of this will be to do with his profit margins too, but interesting to hear someone explicitly call out scientists for not considering the wider impact of recessions on public health.   That said, it’s not scientists jobs to do that. It’s the responsibility of decision makers to listen to all the opinions and plot a way balanced way forward based on hearing all the evidence, which is what I think this guy is getting at.  

I have genuinely never heard of Leon.

7 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 hours ago, mizfit said:
If furlough is being extended it’ll be to cover specific industries like travel and hospitality.

That ain't the rumours, it's looking like a full min 6 months extension surprisingly.

That will be a year plus then, maybe even indefinitely ?

Let's face it, if hospitality can't function in mid summer when covid is at its lowest and the majority of the population have been vaccinated, then what chance is there of it reopening going into Autumn and Winter when respiratory diseases and infections are at their most prevalent ???

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

#jaselovesdevi

I love Devi a wee bit too. 

She talks some amount of bollux but...

38 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Lockdown fatigue is growing from what I can see, and as the vaccine programme rolls out and people get a handle on when the vulnerable groups will all be jagged, and as cases drop, then they're questioning these negative undertones of restrictions for the foreseeable future.

Easter could be the breaking point.

Lockdown fatigue is thoroughly in effect as far as I’m concerned. Fvcking sick of this pish. Breaking point is just around the corner. Easter might be the aftermath.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I have genuinely never heard of Leon.

It’s down in London, standard over priced shite for down there.  But he does make a good analogy about cost-benefit and the way in which the health v economy argument is portrayed.  The debate is far too moralistic and doesn’t take into long term impacts on younger generations, who will undoubtedly be stuck with the legacy of this for decades. 

Was also asked to put a face covering on (which I did). When I said I didn't realise it was required (the station isn't indoors) the polis replied "why do you think we're wearing them?"

Was very tempted to respond with "Because your commanding officer ordered you to?" but shat it and decided I'd rather just get home without hassle.

Attitudes like that is why most people don't like the police.

21 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

No it wouldn’t because (a) vaccines are not 100% effective against transmission and (b) vaccines are not 100% effective against illness.

Thanks for playing.

Really? A medicine isn't 100% effective? Yet there was me thinking we also live in a rational, pragmatic society where we understand risk mitigation. Risk mitigation which includes the extremely unlikely event of contracting Covid-19 post-vaccination, despite not being quite '100% effective', but close enough.

And you're supposed to be a lawyer? You sound like an anti-vaxx cretin.

'Thanks for playing' - and back into your box you go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141128
Is Joe Bloggs 'allowed' to visit family members in hospital? I've no idea what the current 'rules' are.
In England it varies from hospital to hospital, and afaik that one is private so can make it's own rules.

My elderly next door neighbour was allowed to visit his wife in Glasgow Royal and Canniesburn a couple of times recently after she fell and broke her hip.