Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It was the £2500 earners I was getting at. Just find it crazy they’ll have earned about £24,000 in furlough soon 

Understand what you are saying, it's frustrating. They pay enough tax to more than cover it compared to folk sitting at home on universal credit with free housing.

Particularly in scotland where if you are a 40% (41% in Scotland) tax payer you are taxed £200 a month AFTER tax more than if you earn the same wage in england. That's the price of a car payment extra per month

Edited by red23

Particularly in scotland where if you are a 40% (41% in Scotland) tax payer you are taxed £200 a month AFTER tax more than if you earn the same wage in england. That's the price of a car payment extra per month

This isn’t true. There is a gap, but to get a gap of £200 you’re looking at a wage of about £126k. The 40% bracket begins at £43k in Scotland, £50k in the rest of the UK.

To cushion the blow of the extra tax, you’ll still have a monthly salary of £6400 in your pocket. Not one to dictate how people spend their money, but you could probably still afford the car.

11 minutes ago, red23 said:

Understand what you are saying, it's frustrating. They pay enough tax to more than cover it compared to folk sitting at home on universal credit with free housing.

I'm guessing you're not an accountant 

Another decent drop in Covid cases in hospital. 1154 today from 1222 yesterday.
ICU numbers back up a little  at 102 from 98 yesterday.  These will ultimately fall if hospital number continue to fall.
32 patients in ICU for more than 28days. Unchanged from yesterday.

Hopefully under 1000 in hospital by end of February.

On 19/02/2021 at 14:26, superbigal said:

Daily Update: It is now apparent with lowering infection rates. That workplace outbreaks somewhat throw the smaller councils up the charts. I shake my head when all we hear is that Serco etc are doing a fantastic job of containing the outbreak.  Aye the outbreak that should not have happened to the extent it did. 

Inverclyde showing up many more affluent council areas down at 59.1 cases per 100K

Aberdeen has 69 cases and a 1.9% positivity rate.

I have a feeling that if we get a few relaxations on Tuesday such as outdoor mixing being more than 2 people. It is not going to be a national decision. 

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan,    Cases that day were 16,496 and test rate was 11.9%

Total cases latest 7 days are 5,686 to 5,661 down 25 and the positive test goes from 5.4& to 5.2%  Cases per 100k drops drops from 104.1 to 103.6

England 137.8 to 133.4  in last 24 hours.  Wales  87.3 to 87.7  in last 24 hours , Northern Ireland 114.0 to 111.8 in last 24 hours.   UK Average is now  131.8 to 128.1 in last 24 hours.

Council progress in last 24 hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Falkirk  224.4 to 231.8   The race to the championship going well.

East Ayrshire 278.7 to 224.6 Down nearly 20% as prison stuff starting to fall away

Clackmannanshire  211.5 to 215.4  

West Lothian   201.5 to 211.4  Shocker but it is a Prison again.   

West Dunbartonshire  200.2 to 200.2 

North Lanarkshire  159.4 to 167.9  Shocker 2 days in a row.  

Renfrewshire  175.9 to 164.7 Decent 6.37% daily drop 

Stirling  165.6 to 156.0  Reverses yesterdays gains

South Lanarkshire  139.1 to 131.0 Far better than the North now

Glasgow City 128.9 to 129.2 

East Renfrewshire   101.5 to 121.4  Shocker of a day

North Ayrshire   124.7 to 119.5  

Midlothian 107.1 to 108.2

Western Isles 86.1 to 89.8

City Of Edinburgh  71.6 to 79.2  2 days of worrying rises.

East Lothian  71.9 to 73.8

Fife 65.9 to 67.7 

East Dunbartonshire  58.9 to 67.2  Poor 24 hours

Moray  74.1 to 64.7

Perth & Kinross   63.2 to 61.9 

South Ayrshire 58.6 to 59.5 

Inverclyde  75.8 to 59.1  Another great day for Scotland's most deprived council area. Showing up it's neighbours. 

Angus  53.4 to 55.1  

Dumfries & Galloway 53.7 to 53.7

Dundee City  47.5 to 53.6  

Highlands  53.0 to 49.2

Argyll & Bute 44.3 to 43.1

Aberdeenshire  37.1 to 35.1

Aberdeen City 32.4 to 30.2

Scottish  Borders 29.4 to 27.7  

Orkney Island   22.5 to 9.0

Shetland Islands   0.0 to 0.0

4 hours ago, madwullie said:

I agree there's a seasonal aspect to it but it's far more complicated than that. Too many places where it peaked in spring, autumn or even summer. 

Defo true about Spain. They've far fewer restrictions than us and cases are dropping like a stone. I'm coming to believe there's little point comparing restrictions across countries as there seems to be far more factors at play than the standard lockdown stuff 

It never peaked at all anywhere

As people socially distanced to stop it from doing so

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Hospitality not opening in Ireland until mid - summer.

Where they've led we've quite often followed

They're well behind the UK in their vaccination schedule are they not ?

Funny that cases have plateaued with nothing being reopened to explain it. I know there is a bit more open just now than March but I wonder if more people are just getting fed up sticking to the rules.

Purely anecdotal, but I've seen several things through social media of people having folk round, but nothing like massive house parties. Being kept apart from friends and family is taking its toll and it's hard not to understand why (particularly young folk) are going against restrictions, albeit at a low level.

I think it kind if shows that we have almost reached the limit of the effectiveness of lockdowns. They are only effective if there is sufficient buy-in from everyone, but that will naturally fall away the longer they go on. It might explain the fear being pushed by government, but over time that will just become whitenoise.

Just now, super_carson said:

Awfully, something like 3%. My partners mum would be in one of the highest JCVI priority groups in Scotland due to chronic lung problems but hasn't heard anything
Same for her 94 year old Nana.

That's shocking. It will obviously blow a hole in a 4 nations approach if Boris puts pressure on NI to ease restrictions which will obviously become a total tourist trap from people coming up for a drink from the Free State.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

That's shocking. It will obviously blow a hole in a 4 nations approach if Boris puts pressure on NI to ease restrictions which will obviously become a total tourist trap from people coming up for a drink from the Free State.

N. Ireland will be well vaccinated by then. A few tourists should make little / no difference.

1 hour ago, red23 said:

With their 60 inch tellies and mobility cars. I've seen them!

Filled the rest in.